Should Guns Be Permitted on College Campuses? - Page 17

Should Guns Be Permitted on College Campuses?

This is a discussion on Should Guns Be Permitted on College Campuses? within the Featured Topics forums, part of the Welcome To DefensiveCarry.com category; Having taught in a college for 23 years, and now have one son in college and a daughter on the way to college soon, I ...

Page 17 of 24 FirstFirst ... 7 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... LastLast
Like Tree631Likes

Thread: Should Guns Be Permitted on College Campuses?

Having taught in a college for 23 years, and now have one son in college and a daughter on the way to college soon, I can honestly say I wish it was legal to carry on campus. I'd want both my kids to carry (concealed of course), and I would be sure they had proper training, practice, and the common sense to protect themselves if the time ever arose on campus. I taught them both how to drive defensively. Now, I'd like the chance to teach them how to get an education defensively. Just the perspective of a loving Dad who values quality education in a safe environment, appreciates the 2nd Amendment and honors those who fought and died for our freedoms.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sierrajb View Post
    Having taught in a college for 23 years, and now have one son in college and a daughter on the way to college soon, I can honestly say I wish it was legal to carry on campus. I'd want both my kids to carry (concealed of course), and I would be sure they had proper training, practice, and the common sense to protect themselves if the time ever arose on campus. I taught them both how to drive defensively. Now, I'd like the chance to teach them how to get an education defensively. Just the perspective of a loving Dad who values quality education in a safe environment, appreciates the 2nd Amendment and honors those who fought and died for our freedoms.
    Nice writing & view points. Welcome to D.C..com
    "I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." John Wayne
    NRA member 18 yrs.

Distinguished Member
    https://campuscarry.utexas.edu/

Campus Carry to Begin Monday, Aug. 1

July 29, 2016

Colleagues and students,

On Monday, August 1, the state's new Campus Carry law goes into effect, and license holders will generally be allowed to carry concealed handguns at UT Austin and other public universities. UT Austin leadership has been working closely with students, faculty and staff members from across campus to implement the law as smoothly as possible.

We have heard and understand the concerns raised by many members of the campus community. We are working to address those concerns within the parameters of the law and to answer the many questions that have been raised about the new law.

I encourage you to visit the Campus Carry website, which includes the university policy and many FAQs. Should you have questions that the website does not answer, please contact us here. We will answer as soon as possible.

As we approach the implementation date of the new law, I would like to emphasize these important points:

The open carry of handguns is not allowed on the campus. Therefore, if you ever see a gun, do not attempt to question or approach the carrier, but immediately CALL 911. Police are trained to handle this situation.
    There are several areas of campus in which the concealed carry of handguns is prohibited, including some portions of residence halls. Individuals with a license to carry are responsible for knowing the locations that exclude concealed handguns and to plan their daily activities carefully.
    License holders must carry their handguns on or about their person at all times while on campus. "About" the person means that a license holder may carry a handgun — holstered — in a backpack or handbag, but the backpack or handbag must be close enough that the license holder can grasp it without materially changing position. The holster must completely cover the trigger area and have enough tension to keep the gun in place if jostled.
    All license holders must think through the activities of their day. There may be times when the consequence of your activities may preclude carrying on a given day. For example, if you are going to a Rec Sports area, have a class that requires role playing, rolling, or spinning or contact with other students, you might expose the handgun. Remember that there is no storage on campus except in a privately owned vehicle.
    Many people on campus have strong viewpoints about the new law, and we understand those passions. However, regardless of your opinion about the legislation, you are required to follow the laws laid out by the State of Texas, and the policies of The University of Texas at Austin. We also ask that everyone show respect toward other members of the university community who have different views.
    Thank you again for your cooperation as we implement the new law.

Sincerely,

Bob Harkins
    Associate Vice President, Campus Safety & Security
    Chair, Campus Carry Implementation Task Force

Proud to see U.T. Austin headed in the right direction even after the law suits and all the protesting. A tough decision after 1966. May their memories be eternal.
    http://www.texasmonthly.com/category...ower-shooting/
    "I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." John Wayne
    NRA member 18 yrs.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by rcsoftexas View Post
    Nice writing & view points. Welcome to D.C..com
    Thanks for the kind welcome, rscoftexas! I'm in Fort Worth, TX. What part of the "Heart of Texas" are you enjoying? It's great to be a Texan, isn't it? Not to knock all other places....

Waco and yes.
    I have kinfolk in Waco. Nice place!

Sponsor
    IMO this forum should just walk away from this hole......
    Defensive carry is what we talk about here, not politics.
    I've seen forums fall apart for this reason.
    Go with the glow

Quote Originally Posted by gatopardo View Post
    And it is politics that will lead to our right to carry being taken away so ignoring the issue is not the answer either...

Sent from my LT30at using Tapatalk

Distinguished Member
    i HAVE PURCHASED TWO BOTTLES of glow on FROM YOU. They will be my last. And not because the glow stopped after many month's either.

Now you can personally feel the effects of politics and with your negativeness I understand why you do not like politics. You should try harder not to get involved in politics and to understand the need to cope with politics if you are truly for 2A rights.
    Havok likes this.
    NRA member 18 yrs.

Sponsor
    i HAVE PURCHASED TWO BOTTLES of glow on FROM YOU. They will be my last. And not because the glow stopped after many month's either.

Now you can personally feel the effects of politics and with your negativeness I understand why you do not like politics. You should try harder not to get involved in politics and to understand the need to cope with politics if you are truly for 2A rights.
    First things first.....all the Glow-On from day one, still glows like new.
    The median life of the glow is 15 years.
    Feel free to send me the bottles back if they don't glow, I'll send a replacement asap.

Second, no offense intended.
    People have carried and carry concealed firearms in colleges for a long, long, time.
    Because they are...concealed!

If this places are private it's the owner who decides.
    or else be charged with trespassing.

In your property you decide, nobody can force your hand otherwise.
    Go with the glow

We're all on the same team here, this thread hasn't been very productive imho...
    Havok likes this.

I just purchased some Glow On. Isn't politics fun?

Quote Originally Posted by 1911srule View Post
    We're all on the same team here, this thread hasn't been very productive imho...
    I have found it very helpful.

I just put an RMR on my Glock 19 because my eyesight has changed so that I can't see my sights clearly, unless I use my trifocals. Then I have to spend an extra moment to find the right place on the glasses to bring the front sight into sharp focus. I can see the red dot of the RMR, even without glasses and I don't have to hunt for "just the right spot" on them. But if the RMR were to fail, since there are glass surfaces between my eyes and the front sight, in some lighting conditions, it's hard to see the front sight. I imagine it would be worse if the glass was dirty. I was thinking of putting a tritium front sight on the gun, then I learned about Glow On. I just saved myself some dough that I'll spend on ammo. Might take the wife out to dinner. This thread has been a win-win for me!

Like politics, there are various opinions of how "productive" a thread is.

And everything about 2A rights is political...

If this places are private it's the owner who decides.
    or else be charged with trespassing.

In your property you decide, nobody can force your hand otherwise.

Public colleges are not private property. The people who work there are just employees, if they dont like it, they can leave.
    airslot and JoeLiberty like this.

https://campuscarry.utexas.edu/

The open carry of handguns is not allowed on the campus. Therefore, if you ever see a gun, do not attempt to question or approach the carrier, but immediately CALL 911. Police are trained to handle this situation.

Proud to see U.T. Austin headed in the right direction even after the law suits and all the protesting. A tough decision after 1966. May their memories be eternal.
    The UT Tower Shooting Archives - Texas Monthly
    It sounds like they are encouraging people to SWAT anyone they spot with a gun, including legal carriers that are printing or accidentally exposed. They should really clear that up, imho.

A tough decision? UT didn't 'decide' to allow carry. They were dragged kicking and screaming the whole way!
    The UT belltower shooting is a great example of why guns should be allowed on campus. Since students had access to guns, they were able to and did return fire!
    rcsoftexas likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeLiberty View Post
    It sounds like they are encouraging people to SWAT anyone they spot with a gun, including legal carriers that are printing or accidentally exposed. They should really clear that up, imho.

A tough decision? UT didn't 'decide' to allow carry. They were dragged kicking and screaming the whole way!
    The UT belltower shooting is a great example of why guns should be allowed on campus. Since students had access to guns, they were able to and did return fire!
    UT is a liberal paradise. They dont want it to be cleared up, they want people to be scared to carry there.
    rcsoftexas likes this.

Page 17 of 24 FirstFirst ... 7 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links