Should Guns Be Permitted on College Campuses? - Page 21

Should Guns Be Permitted on College Campuses?

This is a discussion on Should Guns Be Permitted on College Campuses? within the Featured Topics forums, part of the Welcome To DefensiveCarry.com category; I seriously do NOT understand the concept of " permitted " when addressing an inalienable right. The only persons that can be legally restricted from ...

Page 21 of 24 FirstFirst ... 11 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 LastLast
Like Tree631Likes

Thread: Should Guns Be Permitted on College Campuses?

I seriously do NOT understand the concept of "permitted" when addressing an inalienable right.
    The only persons that can be legally restricted from their 'inalienable rights' are those who have lost those rights through 'Due Process".
    Examples would include those adjudicated mentally unfit, imprisoned, etc.

There is no venue where a good citizen should be subject to 'permission' towards exercising any constitutional right if they have legal cause to be present or heard.

This topic is absurd and alludes to anti-American proposal.
    Retired Deputy- State Trooper (38 long years) 8 yrs RTO - MS Degree- Criminology
    Gun Control measures are Unconstitutional Infringements. Period.
    "...He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one"- Luke 22:36

Quote Originally Posted by oldman45 View Post
    I want it understood as well that I am not against that age group being issued permits. They should be. If they misuse their permit or firearm, then the laws can deal with them. All I am saying is the college age group is a high risk group to be allowed to carry on campus. I would support faculty doing or other adult workers having the right to carry.
    So now you're that it's a combination of age, location and occupation. If I'm an adult, working at faculty or staff at the college, I should be allowed. But if I'm a student (which I am), despite being a 38-year-old adult, I should not be.

And also, by the passage quoted above, you consider a 24-year-old person to suddenly become more dangerous to themselves and others simply by walking across the boundaries of the campus. I just can't abide by that. And yes, I did take your advice to look for college shootings in my neighborhood - even in the entire state (since campus carry is allowed on public-funded colleges here). So far, I haven't found anything. And even if it did happen, I have serious doubts that it would be performed by a legal CHP holder.
    JackRock
    https://www.ryancash.co
    My EDC: PPQ M2 9mm in a Long's Shadow Antero IWB Holster, A custom mag/Leatherman/Flashlight carrier, and a folding knife. Also, my cell phone, and some fully-functional gray matter between my ears.

Yes they should be allowed. They are allowed to die for our country in the military as needed, they should be able to exercise their Constitutional rights at the same age.
    rcsoftexas likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Distinguished Member Array GpTom's Avatar
    From what we have seen most college students don't have the common sense that would be required to carry a gun. They might get depressed or upset about something and become a danger to them selves or others. I am saying this in response to what I have seen on the news for the last few years where these students don't seem to realize that they can't cry or bully to get people to do what they want. They have shown that they have a gross lack of responsibility and maturity. If you don't agree with them they are just as likely to shoot you. They act more like street gang members than young people who are trying to provide a good life for themselves or others. With the mob mentality that they display I wouldn't want them armed while they march around raising hell about everything and I am sure the police don't when they have to deal with them. These are not the students who will die for their country. These students need a safety zone to go to if anybody disagrees with them.

Senior Member Array wizard7mm08's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GpTom View Post
    From what we have seen most college students don't have the common sense that would be required to carry a gun. They might get depressed or upset about something and become a danger to them selves or others. I am saying this in response to what I have seen on the news for the last few years where these students don't seem to realize that they can't cry or bully to get people to do what they want. They have shown that they have a gross lack of responsibility and maturity. If you don't agree with them they are just as likely to shoot you. They act more like street gang members than young people who are trying to provide a good life for themselves or others. With the mob mentality that they display I wouldn't want them armed while they march around raising hell about everything and I am sure the police don't when they have to deal with them. These are not the students who will die for their country. These students need a safety zone to go to if anybody disagrees with them.
    You are aware that college students who are old enough to purchase a firearm can do so outside of college campus and that a mere sign is the only thing keeping the "upset" ones from entering the school with a gun, right?

I've seen this opinion repeated way too often. Do people seriously believe that if they allow concealed carry on campus that suddenly every irresponsible student is going to go out and spend beer money on a gun? Allowing concealed carry on campus is going to allow us responsible students (I'm a college age student who bought a handgun on my 21st birthday and have been carrying it everywhere I can since the day my permit showed up) to carry on campus. That is all allowing it will do. I doubt oh so very much that you will see rise in suicides or unjustifiable murders (meaning anything but self-defense) on campus.
    "If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
    "Take off ya hoser!" - Bob & Doug McKenzie

College campuses are really getting out of hand these days. Rewind 75 years ago and these kids would have been shipped overseas and forced to not only see guns, but use them and kill other people with them! Now they are offering coloring books to help deal the emotional distress of Trump being elected. What gives?

Colleges Try to Comfort Students Upset by Trump Victory - Washington Wire - WSJ

Quote Originally Posted by GpTom View Post
    Further, most of the students who fit the description above are not the sort who would obtain a permit or a firearm. The liberal panty-wetting, safe-space hunting, tolerance is a one way street crowd are also piled high on the anti-gun bandwagon.

Students at my university - much more level headed, studying real subjects, take care of problems in sensible ways. Oh, and they end up with real jobs paying real money.
    rcsoftexas and GpTom like this.
    ~~~~~
    The only common sense gun legislation was written about 229 years ago.

I carry always not because I go places trouble is likely, but because trouble has a habit of not staying in its assigned zone.

Distinguished Member
    With many talking points able to take this subject in many directions, I would like to tip my experiences with the two I have in college presently. Both grew up shooting and are efficient responsible freedom loving individuals. One daughter who would love to be able to CC on campus and one who would not.

One in California says no while the other in New York screams yes. Fourth-year New York and 2nd year California both agree that the 2nd should be the only rule and it should be up to the individual.

IMHO. One could also argue that the slow indoctrination of our children by public & Government funded agenda driven schools plays a large role. Attempts to discredit constitutional rights by the left wing gun anti nuts by erasing sexual orientation, true history learning, fair political teachings & none descript religion philosophy, entwined with the ridiculous politically correct mind numbing movement proves to be turning our independent young individuals into complete humanitarian, vegan focused nut jobs.

What other explanation is there for protesting CC on campus by the carrying of XXX toys by students & peers at the University of Austin with the intent to discredit a constitutional right? Is this not in itself a form of "bullying" opposing individuals with religious & or constitutional values who stand up for their undeniable inalienable God-given constitutional rights.

In school, it is hard to express objections or publically fight for your beliefs against the seemingly seemly growing majority of your politically correct peers, mentors, counselors, professors, teachers, deans, deacons, priests, and principles.

Thus the need to hand out coloring books on campuses. It is getting far deep. We are in trouble future.....
    Rock and Glock likes this.
    "I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." John Wayne
    NRA member 18 yrs.

In answer to the OP's question: They should be permitted everywhere as the Constitution states.
    jackrock likes this.
    Member: Orange Gunsite Family, NRA--Life, American Legion
    "Laws are nothing more than guidelines for honest citizens to follow. Criminals care nothing for laws or their consequences, or the Police or Courts. Getting caught is nothing more to them than a minor inconvenience".--Me

I am shocked to read the ill informed comments here, on a concealed carry forum, towards campus carry. I would expect these types of comments from the anti-gun crowd, but I never thought that I would read so many here.

Again, although it has been repeated many times here in the previous 309 responses, here are the salient points (as it applies here in Texas)

- You must be at least 21 years old. This means only upperclassmen, non-traditional students (starting or finishing at an older age), faculty, and staff
    - No campus carry doesn’t just deny CC to students, it denies it to faculty & staff
    - You must pass a background check
    - You must complete a course with a written and shooting test
    - Declaring an area a GFZ, does not stop the bad guys, it encourages them
    - You have always been allowed to carry on campus, campus carry just allows you to carry inside the buildings
    - The old “drunken frat boy” stereotype isn’t the case here because you must be 21, be serious enough about your personal safety to get a CHL, and drinking is done off campus (so campus carry won’t apply there)
    - Anyone 21 or older that steps on a college campus doesn’t magically become irresponsible anymore than a one that goes to work or is in the military. Nobody on this forum has a problem with legal CC other places, what’s so special about college campuses that those that have their CHL, can’t carry?

Yes, campus carry is important to me. My wife is a college professor, our 25 year son is in law school, and our 23 year old daughter is in grad school. All four of us have our CHL. There is a member of my family on a college campus literally every work day. Why would you deny us our right to protect ourselves because of your narrow minded views?
    Rock and Glock likes this.

gun free zones

The 2nd Amendment should trump all other, laws, rules and regs.
    Further, it is a Natural Law to defend yourself and others.

What does 'gun free zone' tell a criminal?
    Criminals don't care what the rules, regs. or laws are or they would not be 'criminal'.
    Only law abiding citizens follow the rules, regs., law.
    So a 'gun free zone' only takes away the right to defend yourself from crime.

Maybe I am being too logical. Criminal control, not gun control.
    People who what 'gun laws' don't seem to be logical.
    Maybe their thinking could be considered a disease.

Stay safe.

Ike
    Havok likes this.

guns in the hands of Americans, should be allowed everywhere. except where the government has armed guards protecting said area. aka nuke plants the President and where he is at.
    congress should not fear the private citizen.

Quote Originally Posted by patri0t View Post
    I seriously do NOT understand the concept of "permitted" when addressing an inalienable right.
    The only persons that can be legally restricted from their 'inalienable rights' are those who have lost those rights through 'Due Process".
    Examples would include those adjudicated mentally unfit, imprisoned, etc.

There is no venue where a good citizen should be subject to 'permission' towards exercising any constitutional right if they have legal cause to be present or heard.

This topic is absurd and alludes to anti-American proposal.
    I have no idea what you are talking about. Even Vladimir Putin is pro American these days. Get with the program, pati0t! But, well, I'm still stuck on simple stuff like "god given" and "inalienable", "natural" - you know, the simple stuff.
    There is a solution but we are not Jedi... not yet.
    Doghandler
    We have deep thinkers and stinkers in this group that could come up with a solution...
    welder516
    Buck the donkey

Yes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Doghandler likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Deerhunter28 View Post
    Yes
    Keep'n it simple.
    There is a solution but we are not Jedi... not yet.
    Doghandler
    We have deep thinkers and stinkers in this group that could come up with a solution...
    welder516
    Buck the donkey

Page 21 of 24 FirstFirst ... 11 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 LastLast

Sponsored Links