Should Guns Be Permitted on College Campuses? - Page 5

Should Guns Be Permitted on College Campuses?

This is a discussion on Should Guns Be Permitted on College Campuses? within the Featured Topics forums, part of the Welcome To DefensiveCarry.com category; Originally Posted by zonker1986 yes. They are old enough to serve in the Military, what turns them into knuckle dragging idiots when they step on ...

Page 5 of 24 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 ... LastLast
Like Tree631Likes

Thread: Should Guns Be Permitted on College Campuses?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zonker1986 View Post
    yes. They are old enough to serve in the Military, what turns them into knuckle dragging idiots when they step on a college campus?
    The administrators and staff
    EN MI VIDA AL MAL NO TEMER…, POR QUE EN MI CORAZ”N Y MIS DOS .38 SUPER COLT.

The Totalitarian State in America will not arise at the point of a gun. It will come with a message of

"We only want what's best for you. It's for your own good."

I just love it when people take our constitution and our bill of rights for as exactly as it was written over 240 years ago. Every single one of those amendments can be infringed upon in some way shape or form. Just because we have a right to have and bear arms doesn't mean anyone can anywhere without some sort of regulation or restriction. Spend a little bit of time on google and look up interpretation of the bill of rights and you'll see what I mean.

About the comment about the 18 year old in the army. That's a completely different setting than from an 18 year old on the street without any training whatsoever.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    JBW likes this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Whip12 View Post
    The International Code Council, which is the Code standard for buildings, occupancy types and uses, classifies buildings for construction and life safety requirements for pretty much the whole country. They classify K-12th grade schools as 'Educational' occupancies types. Colleges, Universities, Trade schools and all levels of education above the 12th grade are classified as Business' occupancies. So gun regulations should be like any other business, and left up to the owners.
    State universities are public property . Texas says carry. Some leftists projecting what he/she/it would do does not trump their employer nor does it trump the right of self defense .
    Chicagobill and baren like this.
    EN MI VIDA AL MAL NO TEMER…, POR QUE EN MI CORAZ”N Y MIS DOS .38 SUPER COLT.

The Totalitarian State in America will not arise at the point of a gun. It will come with a message of

"We only want what's best for you. It's for your own good."

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by corneileous View Post
    I just love it when people take our constitution and our bill of rights for as exactly as it was written over 240 years ago. Every single one of those amendments can be infringed upon in some way shape or form. Just because we have a right to have and bear arms doesn't mean anyone can anywhere without some sort of regulation or restriction. Spend a little bit of time on google and look up interpretation of the bill of rights and you'll see what I mean.

About the comment about the 18 year old in the army. That's a completely different setting than from an 18 year old on the street without any training whatsoever.

What's the point of having a Constitution if you can change the meaning any time you disagree with it?

I was 45 years old and had been carrying a weapon for most of my life when I attended college. Someone made an arbitrary rule that outlawed carrying on campus. There's no facts to support the fact that it did nothing to improve security. I challenge you to find a single instance of a crazed shooter deciding to give up because he saw a no-guns sign.
    SteveMac and baren like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. 74-96.

An election is coming. Universal peace is declared, and the foxes have a sincere interest in prolonging the lives of the poultry. ~George Eliot,

Spend a little bit of time on google and look up interpretation of the bill of rights and you'll see what I mean.
    Spend a little time on Google? Really? Since when do "Googled" interpretations of the bill of rights clarify ANYthing? For every opinion on the Internet, there'll be an equally-argued, yet completely contrasting, opinion. The Bill of Rights is written in English. I can read & speak English. YOU're welcome to follow the Gospel According to Google. I'll form my OWN opinions.
    MIKECIB, OD*, SteveMac and 2 others like this.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Are there some places that should be free-speech-free zones? Same answer. :-P

Quote Originally Posted by Rhinoman View Post
    What's the point of having a Constitution if you can change the meaning any time you disagree with it?
    Because life wasn't like what it is now over two centuries ago. When our Founding Fathers wrote all that many, many years ago, they wrote it based on their present time. They had no idea or probably never even thought about what kind of impact the constitution and bill of rights would have on current time as you and I know it. That's why the bill of rights can't be taken completely in its literal sense.

I was 45 years old and had been carrying a weapon for most of my life when I attended college. Someone made an arbitrary rule that outlawed carrying on campus.
    You can't look at everyone as a whole. Nobody knows each person the way each person knows themselves. You can't think of just YOU in something like this. If we could apply the right laws to the right people we wouldn't be restricting the wrong people.
    There's no facts to support the fact that it did nothing to improve security. I challenge you to find a single instance of a crazed shooter deciding to give up because he saw a no-guns sign.
    Most of my answer above covers this last part but yes, you are 100 percent right, outlaws don't care.

When I said what I said before, I failed to realize that not every student who goes to college is fresh out of high school. It's too bad they can't let mature people conceal carry who knows what they're doing and have been carrying legally for a long time but you know what kind of outrage that would cause as soon as as one of them learned you can carry and they can't. Some people nowadays just can't understand why some people can't do the things that others can.

Quote Originally Posted by ghost tracker View Post
    Spend a little time on Google? Really? Since when do "Googled" interpretations of the bill of rights clarify ANYthing? For every opinion on the Internet, there'll be an equally-argued, yet completely contrasting, opinion. The Bill of Rights is written in English. I can read & speak English. YOU're welcome to follow the Gospel According to Google. I'll form my OWN opinions.
    Well, believe what you want to believe and form whatever opinions you want to form. I try not to involve myself too deep in these kinds of discussions because of this kind of mentality concerning the issue.

If you don't want to "follow the gospel of Google", spend some time at a library or a bookstore. You'll find pretty much the same information in there on paper.

Oh and forming your own opinion on things like this is what gets a lot of people in trouble, just sayin.

Cannibal and JBW like this.

I took your advice and did some research about the Constitution on the internet. It turns out that the founding fathers actually wanted to call the Constitution the “suggested stuff to base some laws on”, but it wouldn’t all fit on the top of the page. Lincoln wanted to change that to “some guidelines for making government work”, but was overruled by Paul Bunyan. In the end, it was Edgar Allen Poe, who happened to be taking the minutes that day, who changed it to “Constitution” because no one could agree if “guidelines” should be hyphenated or not.

It turns out that the mission of the Supreme Court is not really to make sure that laws enacted by Congress don’t violate the Constitution, they were formed to subsidize the makers of powdered wigs and dresses for men. This was a fad that never caught on with the younger generation but the black dress thing is still going on.
    Retired USAF E-8. 74-96.

An election is coming. Universal peace is declared, and the foxes have a sincere interest in prolonging the lives of the poultry. ~George Eliot,

"...this kind of mentality concerning the issue."
    "Oh and forming your own opinion on things like this is what gets a lot of people in trouble, just sayin."
    By my "kind of mentality", do you mean ANY dissenting opinion that contrasts your own?

And forming MY own opinion gets a lot of people in trouble? How can my opinion get more people than ME in trouble?
    I actually prefer my own opinion, don't you...prefer yours?

Oh, just askin'.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Distinguished Member Array GraySkies's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by zonker1986 View Post
    yes. They are old enough to serve in the Military, what turns them into knuckle dragging idiots when they step on a college campus?
    Quote Originally Posted by gatorbait51 View Post
    The administrators and staff
    Dang, Gator. You beat me to it.
    The antis just don't understand the depth of love & bonding that comes with guns - redbirddog5

2nd AMENDMENT: The gateway drug to freedom addiction.

Should Guns Be Permitted on College Campuses?

Quote Originally Posted by ghost tracker View Post
    By my "kind of mentality", do you mean ANY dissenting opinion that contrasts your own?
    No, that's not what I meant at all and I'm clearly not all surprised at you taking it that way. That's part of that "kind of mentality" I'm referring to. That, and the fact there's so many people that like to take our 2nd amendment for exactly what it says and just having this mentality that every law we have concerning it is unconstitutional. Let's just let everybody have whatever gun they want wherever they are. You can't argue with those kind of people.
    And forming MY own opinion gets a lot of people in trouble? How can my opinion get more people than ME in trouble?
    Seriously? Tell me you're joking right? Again, no, that wasn't was I was saying. You need to not take everything so literally. Even with that 2nd amendment. Pun intended.

Sometimes PEOPLES'S formed opinion is what gets THEM in trouble. capiche?

Iactually prefer my own opinion, don't you...prefer yours?
    As do I but I often find that facts sometimes overrule my opinion.

baren and gatorbait51 like this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."
    A 9MM MAY expand to .45 but a 45ACP will never shrink to 9MM.

Quote Originally Posted by robbnj View Post
    Simple. Shall not infringe.
    By the way does he carry?
    Please explain a little further.

My right to free speech shall not be infringed upon.
    Does that mean I can go into a theater and shout "fire" at will?

A person's right to private property shall not be infringed.
    Does your simple explanation mean a person cannot set the rules for what does and does not occur on their private property?
    If I allow you on my land, am I allowed to kick you off my land if you start exercising your right to free speech by proselytizing about the KKK?
    I am on the fence about this issue but I lean toward a private property owners rights. By that I mean, if I'm asked to leave because they don't like the way I look (with a gun), I have to leave. Business owners can discriminate against anyone they wish, as long as its not covered by civil rights act or disabilities act. The government (federal, state and local) is the only group restrained by 2A. If it is a public school, covered by 2A. If the gov't passes laws which say you can't carry in any school, that's covered by 2A. If I start my own school and the rules say 'no guns', that's not covered.

Distinguished Member Array GraySkies's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeLiberty View Post
    I am on the fence about this issue but I lean toward a private property owners rights. By that I mean, if I'm asked to leave because they don't like the way I look (with a gun), I have to leave. Business owners can discriminate against anyone they wish, as long as its not covered by civil rights act or disabilities act. The government (federal, state and local) is the only group restrained by 2A. If it is a public school, covered by 2A. If the gov't passes laws which say you can't carry in any school, that's covered by 2A. If I start my own school and the rules say 'no guns', that's not covered.
    So my constitutional rights end at your door? Not true. What you are talking about is apples and oranges. The campus carry issue has to do with LEGALITY. In other words, can I be prosecuted/criminalized for carrying on campus. You have control over your private property in that if you don't like me being there you can ask me to leave. If I don't leave, you can pursue a criminal trespass complaint against me.

A conviction for trespassing is a VERY different thing than a conviction for criminal possession of a firearm. THAT is what we are talking about. My constitutional right to keep and bear arms cannot be abridged by your property rights, but both can be maintained without abridging your property rights either.

I have no problem with property owners being able to ask you to leave their property for any reason they like. If they don't KNOW you are armed, it shouldn't be any of their business. Once they find out, if they ask you to leave, fine. You should NOT, however, be criminalized for having been there with that firearm.

Yes, you can yell "fire" in a crowded theater if you like. It would be stupid, and you would have to face the consequences if you did it (loss of revenue, property damage, injury, public disturbance, etc.), but you have the freedom to do so. Firearms should be the same. Your rights should NEVER be abridged in any circumstance of normal life, but if you do something stupid with it you will have to pay the consequences.

This is a whole problem I am having with an entire generation of Americans. They seem to be obsessed with punishing people or taking away people's rights for SOMETHING THEY MIGHT DO. This is not the kind of freedom on which this country was founded. This is sacrificing freedom for perceived "safety".

IN AMERICA WE DON'T PUNISH PEOPLE OR TAKE AWAY THEIR CONSTITUTIONAL RIGHTS UNTIL AFTER THEY'VE ACTUALLY COMMITTED A CRIMINAL ACT. NOT BEFORE.
    luckydog, baren and gatorbait51 like this.
    The antis just don't understand the depth of love & bonding that comes with guns - redbirddog5

2nd AMENDMENT: The gateway drug to freedom addiction.

Page 5 of 24 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links