Should Guns Be Permitted on College Campuses? - Page 9

Should Guns Be Permitted on College Campuses?

This is a discussion on Should Guns Be Permitted on College Campuses? within the Featured Topics forums, part of the Welcome To DefensiveCarry.com category; Originally Posted by corneileous I just love it when people take our constitution and our bill of rights for as exactly as it was written ...

Page 9 of 24 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 19 ... LastLast
Like Tree631Likes

Thread: Should Guns Be Permitted on College Campuses?

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by corneileous View Post
    I just love it when people take our constitution and our bill of rights for as exactly as it was written over 240 years ago. Every single one of those amendments can be infringed upon in some way shape or form. Just because we have a right to have and bear arms doesn't mean anyone can anywhere without some sort of regulation or restriction. Spend a little bit of time on google and look up interpretation of the bill of rights and you'll see what I mean. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    First, The Constitution was written in 1787, 229 yrs ago. James Madison wrote the "Bill of rights in 1791, in response to calls from several states for greater constitutional protection for individual liberties, 227 years ago. Not sure which google interpretation gave you the false information that the constitution and the bill of rights were written over 240 yrs ago. Even if you were confusing them to the articles of the confederation, still those were written in 1777. 239 yrs ago. Over 240 yrs ago?

I love it more when intelligent people take our constitution and our bill of rights for exactly as it was written over 226 years ago. That is exactly why they wrote, "Shall not be infringed." It was not a coin toss, it was brilliance which took a lot of forethought, Guts and Glory to add that statement. Those who agreed stayed and became known as Americans. Then those brave Americans fought and gave their lives without thought to protect Liberty and their families. Where would both be today had they not been written so masterfully. Where would our nation be today had they been done away with 150 yrs ago or 50 yrs ago?

Do you think those that gave their lives to both build & protect this great nation would have done so had they known how the constitution & bill of rights would be tried changed at any point in time? Even better, who will fight for this country once the constitution and the bill of rights are shredded?

You are exactly right when you say every one of those amendments can be infringed on in some way shape or form. Why does anyone need them to be interpreted? Because they would like to find a way to change them? They stand for liberty & freedom not tyranny. I believe when they are infringed on it is an act of aggression against America, Americans, and this will be a far different land we live on if that is ever allowed to happen. What is really the alternative to living life as we know it now under the Bill of Rights and The Constitution? One world one ruler perhaps? That's a dark thought.

Real Americans spend time studying them both. Enriching ones life to better understand them. It is a waste of time to try and figure out how to break them. If they are broken, you nor I will have any say so as to how they are changed. So move to another land if you do not agree with them. If you choose not to abide by them then you certainly do not believe in them. That would certainly make one un American.

But even then, if you wish to go to college in America then you can still pay to do that as long as you are willing to abide by them while here.
    "I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." John Wayne
    NRA member 18 yrs.

Quote Originally Posted by nlyric View Post
    BTW a federal court denies them a temporary injunction, rejecting all of their arguments.. Something about guns on campus violating 1A rights????etc

Guns Up: Federal Court Denies Effort to Block Campus Carry at U. Texas
    Thank God that we got a sane judge to rule on the frivolous lawsuit. I am waiting to see if these 3 professors will appeal it or it was it all just a PR stunt by the local liberal Anti-2A/CC activists.

After reading the judge's ruling, I think these UT professors might have "shot" themselves in the foot against their own progressive liberal agenda.
    Other States could easily use his ruling to support their Campus Carry laws in the future.
    Should Guns Be Permitted on College Campuses?-ut-cc-ruling.jpg

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Nutrodoc View Post
    More than 200 college campuses already allow concealed carry - some of them for at least 10 years. Campus crime rates have decreased significantly and there have been no problems involving those carrying. Colorado State University is one example.
    True, but in Texas before SB11, on campus grounds was allowed, but not the buildings/classrooms. I don't if other State CC laws are allow only on campus ground or extended to classrooms, etc.
    What is a shame is that Texas College Deans, professors, campus Police chiefs insisted in 1 year delay back in June 2015. In April, this year we had a UT Student, Haruka Weiser, who was raped and strangled to death after leaving her UT drama class on campus. If is wasn't for the UT college elitist delaying tactic, Ms. Weiser might of had the choice to CC legally and survived the attack.
    If your State is considering CC, don't let the College liberal elitist attempt a delaying tactic let UT. Using Haruka Weiser case might convince the lawmakers to refuse the delaying tactic.

Quote Originally Posted by Whip12 View Post
    The International Code Council, which is the Code standard for buildings, occupancy types and uses, classifies buildings for construction and life safety requirements for pretty much the whole country. They classify K-12th grade schools as 'Educational' occupancies types. Colleges, Universities, Trade schools and all levels of education above the 12th grade are classified as Business' occupancies. So gun regulations should be like any other business, and left up to the owners.
    In Texas, it was left to owners of the public colleges .. the taxpayers. Private colleges can opt-out, which many has opted out. Well, it will make a next active shooter choice of colleges targets easier.

Quote Originally Posted by Dstangs21 View Post
    I work on a college campus and while we can carry concealed "on campus", we cannot carry inside buildings. I work in a very visible building that sees lots of foot traffic from general public as well and there is a real need for protection.

At very least faculty/staff like myself with CWP should be allowed to carry inside buildings.
    Maybe you get your representatives a copy of the Texas SB11 bill and tweak it for you State. Plus the Federal Judge's ruling on the law. It should take out the wind from the nay sayers.

Quote Originally Posted by Chicagobill View Post
    Hey ghost do you have some platform shoes in there too.

Sorry I couldn't resist
    No platform shoes! You can't do a tactical backflip in platform shoes.
    Chicagobill likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. 74-96.

An election is coming. Universal peace is declared, and the foxes have a sincere interest in prolonging the lives of the poultry. ~George Eliot,

To put it simply - The Constitution is a contract between the people of the United States and the Federal Government. Its role is to limit the power of the Federal Government. If the government is free to unilaterally change the contract, the contract becomes meaningless.
    Retired USAF E-8. 74-96.

An election is coming. Universal peace is declared, and the foxes have a sincere interest in prolonging the lives of the poultry. ~George Eliot,

This has been one of the most entertaining threads I've seen in awhile. It reaffirms my faith in the knowledge of my fellow gun owners. Thank you to everyone who expressed an opinion.
    Retired USAF E-8. 74-96.

Quote Originally Posted by Strmwatch View Post
    Apparently reading comprehension isn't a strong suit of yours.

Please re-read what I said about yelling "fire" in a theater...you know the part you skipped over where I said there were consequences if done in a malicious manner.

With regards to MY address...my home is NOT a PUBLIC venue, his restaurant IS a PUBLIC venue....once again you lack reading comprehension and don't understand the difference between PUBLIC and PRIVATE property.

I do understand rights and infringements.

The irony is dripping in your response.
    So, as soon as you allow someone on your land, it becomes a "public venue" and thus YOUR rights can't be infringed upon, but YOU can infringe on the rights of others?
    In that case, I'll assume you never had anyone but your immediate family on your land. If you've had non-family on the land, it is now a public venue (by your definition: a business owner makes his property public instead of private when he allows customers on it). Being a public venue, if anyone comes on your land, they are allowed to exercise their rights as they deem fit, and you are not allowed to prevent them from doing so.
    Right?

Life is a two-way street.
    You can't sit and cry that your rights are being infringed upon, yet give yourself absolution for infringing on the rights of others.

As for the "strawman" argument mentioned in another post of yelling "fire" in a theater: It's far from a strawman. It's a direct comparison of the concept that no one is allowed to infringe on one's right with regards to the 2A, while accepting that "I cannot 100% exercise my right at any time I want" with regards to 1A.
    Please, go into that theatre and yell "fire".

When the dust settles, be comfortable knowing that you will not be prosecuted or sued because those actions would violate your First Amendment Rights. Just claim "I exercised my First Amendment Rights" and you'll be allowed to just go home an d live your live as you normally do.

Do you really not realize that we all have rights, but are not to infringe on other's rights in exercising our own?

Quote Originally Posted by robbnj View Post
    So, as soon as you allow someone on your land, it becomes a "public venue" and thus YOUR rights can't be infringed upon, but YOU can infringe on the rights of others?
    In that case, I'll assume you never had anyone but your immediate family on your land. If you've had non-family on the land, it is now a public venue (by your definition: a business owner makes his property public instead of private when he allows customers on it). Being a public venue, if anyone comes on your land, they are allowed to exercise their rights as they deem fit, and you are not allowed to prevent them from doing so.
    Right?

Life is a two-way street.
    You can't sit and cry that your rights are being infringed upon, yet give yourself absolution for infringing on the rights of others.

As for the "strawman" argument mentioned in another post of yelling "fire" in a theater: It's far from a strawman. It's a direct comparison of the concept that no one is allowed to infringe on one's right with regards to the 2A, while accepting that "I cannot 100% exercise my right at any time I want" with regards to 1A.
    Please, go into that theatre and yell "fire".

When the dust settles, be comfortable knowing that you will not be prosecuted or sued because those actions would violate your First Amendment Rights. Just claim "I exercised my First Amendment Rights" and you'll be allowed to just go home an d live your live as you normally do.

Do you really not realize that we all have rights, but are not to infringe on other's rights in exercising our own?
    I'm not sure who said it, but a good quote to illustrate your point is, "Your right to throw a punch ends at my nose".
    Chicagobill, rcsoftexas and baren like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. 74-96.

My Alma matter, Norwich University, is a senior military college, and a gun free zone. It is a prime target for terrorists, due to its high concentration of future officers, and active duty ROTC personnel. The nearest police station is 5-7 minutes away, and there are no armed security on campus. It is a small, compact campus and it wouldn't take a criminal mastermind to hurt a lot people in a short amount of time. Therefore I was and still am very concerned about their anti-gun policy.
    Rhinoman and MIKECIB like this.

Senior Member Array Chicagobill's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhinoman View Post
    I'm not sure who said it, but a good quote to illustrate your point is, "Your right to throw a punch ends at my nose".
    Well said!
    And my right to free speech ends if it causes people to be physically damaged!
    Or carry a gun if used illegally!
    I agree what an awesome thread
    ghost tracker likes this.

I agree! It's this kind of lively back-and-forth (w/o name-calling or Drama Girl foot-stompin') that renews my confidence in the clear-thinking resilience of average American citizens. Personal responsibility and common sense are NOT quaint, antiquated notions. One needn't be a constitutional scholar to read & understand its meaning. And "what's best for us" isn't ideally determined by anyone exCEPT, uhhh...us!
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Distinguished Member
    I for one am deeply saddened by the type of rally some professors and students at UT held yesterday. Completely shows the mentality of those who do not believe in the constitution of these United States. Where does the line drawn end between free speech and insanity? What would have been the outcome had gun rights activists rallied shooting blanks into the air on campus? Would those same Aniti's be willing to place signs outside at there homes, "Gun free here!"?
    Rhinoman, Chicagobill and baren like this.
    "I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." John Wayne
    NRA member 18 yrs.

Page 9 of 24 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 19 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links