Advantages and Disadvantages of Open Carry vs Concealed carry? - Page 12

Advantages and Disadvantages of Open Carry vs Concealed carry?

This is a discussion on Advantages and Disadvantages of Open Carry vs Concealed carry? within the Featured Topics forums, part of the Welcome To DefensiveCarry.com category; "Norm Stamper, a 34-year veteran police officer and former chief of the Seattle police department, says open carry can add an element of confusion to ...

Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast
Like Tree442Likes

Thread: Advantages and Disadvantages of Open Carry vs Concealed carry?

"Norm Stamper, a 34-year veteran police officer and former chief of the Seattle police department, says open carry can add an element of confusion to police work, hampering suspect IDs at crucial moments."

“The difficulty [of] distinguishing a law-abiding gun owner from one who is about to, or has committed, or is [in the act of] committing a violent crime is oftentimes impossible to determine” when multiple people on the scene are openly carrying weapons, Stamper told me. “Even the best, most intuitive, calmest, most professional police officers are not mind readers. Until somebody engages in some form of action, threatening or criminal in nature, the officer has no idea what that person's motive is.”

This is EXACTLY why the 2nd is soooo important. The police can not be and should not be expected to be sheep dogs guarding the flock.You must maintain your constitutional right to defend yourself.
    Snub44 likes this.
    Real Democracy is 2 wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for dinner........Long live the Republic!

That does it!!!! Next BIG BANG someone has GOT to do something about this getting old crap......

Quote Originally Posted by Pocket Power View Post
    "Norm Stamper, a 34-year veteran police officer and former chief of the Seattle police department, says open carry can add an element of confusion to police work, hampering suspect IDs at crucial moments."

“The difficulty [of] distinguishing a law-abiding gun owner from one who is about to, or has committed, or is [in the act of] committing a violent crime is oftentimes impossible to determine” when multiple people on the scene are openly carrying weapons, Stamper told me. “Even the best, most intuitive, calmest, most professional police officers are not mind readers. Until somebody engages in some form of action, threatening or criminal in nature, the officer has no idea what that person's motive is.”

This is EXACTLY why the 2nd is soooo important. The police can not be and should not be expected to be sheep dogs guarding the flock.You must maintain your constitutional right to defend yourself.
    Well Norm is an idiot.
    " Blessed is that man, who when facing death, thinks only of his front sight.”
    -Jeff Cooper

“ Looking around doesn’t cost you anything; and it’s a healthy habit”
    -Joe Foss

Personally, I don't want to carry a handgun that other people can see when I'm out and about. It would make me very uncomfortable as I know it would some of those who see an exposed firearm. I really wouldn't like attracting the wrong kind of attention that way.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Misty Lu View Post
    Personally, I don't want to carry a handgun that other people can see when I'm out and about. It would make me very uncomfortable as I know it would some of those who see an exposed firearm. I really wouldn't like attracting the wrong kind of attention that way.
    I have become more reluctant to OC, but OC can be very environmentally determined. If many were OC, you could be more comfortable, for instance, an OC “Meet and Greet”. I OC’d a lot out in the Colorado mountains, less so in the cities.

Here OC turns heads, so I OC much less often.

So, for me, it depends on my immediate environment.

Given
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ: Buy These Stickers Here

"If we suppose them sincere, we must pity their ignorance; if insincere, we must abhor the spirit of deception which it betrays." Alexander Hamilton

Distinguished Member Array patkelly4370's Avatar

Criminals typically don't use holsters, IWB or OWB.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    LimaCharlie and Snub44 like this.

Distinguished Member Array patkelly4370's Avatar
    After CCW for many years, the only disadvantage to OC for me now is the firearm sticks out too far compared to CC and I occasionally bump it.
    Since we moved to rural AZ the Wife OC 95% of the time. I'm starting to a little more. It's a non-issue in the Kingman/Bullhead City area (we live between the two).
    Daily we see many people OC.
    Ironically, with so many armed citizens around, I feel less compelled to carry vs when we lived in CA.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    Mike1956, Havok, Bikenut and 1 others like this.

“Even the best, most intuitive, calmest, most professional police officers are not mind readers. Until somebody engages in some form of action, threatening or criminal in nature, the officer has no idea what that person's motive is.”
    There’s your sign.
    BigJon10125 and Snub44 like this.
    " Blessed is that man, who when facing death, thinks only of his front sight.”
    -Jeff Cooper

“ Looking around doesn’t cost you anything; and it’s a healthy habit”
    -Joe Foss

Many folks are concerned that OC will draw attention to themselves. People will notice and perhaps shun them. They might express displeasure in some way and the OC'er will be embarrassed. The OC'er will be.... shamed by those who want to ban guns. But that is solved with CC's ability to soothe the anti gunner's feelings by hiding that terrible thing called a gun. That is how the anti gunners are winning.

But then to be fair let us not forget that CC has that wonderful element of surprise! At least that is what everyone is so fond of saying. Well guess what? OC also has that element of surprise:

CC and OC have the very same "element of surprise" because the "element of surprise" is really nothing more than the bad guy being "surprised" to discover his intended victim ..... has a gun.

With CC the bad guy is "surprised" to see his intended victim has a gun to defend himself with after the bad guy has already chosen his victim and the attack is already in progress and at that point seeing the gun can make the bad guy decide to stop the attack.

With OC the bad guy is "surprised" to see his intended victim has a gun to defend himself with during the bad guy's choosing a victim process and at that point seeing the gun can make the bad guy decide not to attack at all.

But either way... it was the bad guy being "surprised" to see a gun that was the actual "element of surprise".

Quite frankly... I'd prefer the bad guy be "surprised" to see my openly carried gun and decide not to attack me so I can go home and watch the 6 o'clock news coverage .... from the comfort of my easy chair..... about the CC'er who had to pull his gun and "surprise" the bad guy who attacked him.

Does OC's "element of surprise" really work? Well.... there have been thousands of folks open carrying in many States (Like Arizona) for decades! and yet accounts of folks OC'ing being attacked are rare. And you know with the anti gun media any incident involving an open carrier being attacked would be covered over and over and over yet such has not been the case in the past nor is it now.

And, in my not so humble opinion, because CC's use of the "element of surprise" is only effective after the attack has begun but OC's use of the "element of surprise" can prevent an attack from happening OC's use of the "element of surprise" is far superior to CC's because....

I'd much rather watch the 6 o'clock news than to BE the news.

And then there is the simple fact that if one must ask the government for permission to be granted a permit to carry a gun in a concealed manner then concealed carry is not the right to bear arms but is the government controlled privilege. Let us not forget that "shall not be infringed" is not followed by "except for carrying concealed".

Perhaps we should ask ourselves if we want to exercise the right to bear arms or if we want to beg the government for permission to have a privilege.
    Character is doing the right thing when nobody's looking. There are too many people who think that the only thing that's right is to get by, and the only thing that's wrong is to get caught. ~J.C. Watts

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikenut View Post
    Many folks are concerned that OC will draw attention to themselves. People will notice and perhaps shun them. They might express displeasure in some way and the OC'er will be embarrassed. The OC'er will be.... shamed by those who want to ban guns. But that is solved with CC's ability to soothe the anti gunner's feelings by hiding that terrible thing called a gun. That is how the anti gunners are winning.

But then to be fair let us not forget that CC has that wonderful element of surprise! At least that is what everyone is so fond of saying. Well guess what? OC also has that element of surprise:

CC and OC have the very same "element of surprise" because the "element of surprise" is really nothing more than the bad guy being "surprised" to discover his intended victim ..... has a gun.

With CC the bad guy is "surprised" to see his intended victim has a gun to defend himself with after the bad guy has already chosen his victim and the attack is already in progress and at that point seeing the gun can make the bad guy decide to stop the attack.

With OC the bad guy is "surprised" to see his intended victim has a gun to defend himself with during the bad guy's choosing a victim process and at that point seeing the gun can make the bad guy decide not to attack at all.

But either way... it was the bad guy being "surprised" to see a gun that was the actual "element of surprise".

Quite frankly... I'd prefer the bad guy be "surprised" to see my openly carried gun and decide not to attack me so I can go home and watch the 6 o'clock news coverage .... from the comfort of my easy chair..... about the CC'er who had to pull his gun and "surprise" the bad guy who attacked him.

Does OC's "element of surprise" really work? Well.... there have been thousands of folks open carrying in many States (Like Arizona) for decades! and yet accounts of folks OC'ing being attacked are rare. And you know with the anti gun media any incident involving an open carrier being attacked would be covered over and over and over yet such has not been the case in the past nor is it now.

And, in my not so humble opinion, because CC's use of the "element of surprise" is only effective after the attack has begun but OC's use of the "element of surprise" can prevent an attack from happening OC's use of the "element of surprise" is far superior to CC's because....

I'd much rather watch the 6 o'clock news than to BE the news.

And then there is the simple fact that if one must ask the government for permission to be granted a permit to carry a gun in a concealed manner then concealed carry is not the right to bear arms but is the government controlled privilege. Let us not forget that "shall not be infringed" is not followed by "except for carrying concealed".

Perhaps we should ask ourselves if we want to exercise the right to bear arms or if we want to beg the government for permission to have a privilege.
    I would just rather people not know I'm carrying. Sometimes, a cigar is just a cigar.
    "Stop being dangerous, and you become edible." William Aprill

"Slaves, enjoy your freedom." Chuck Klosterman

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    I would just rather people not know I'm carrying. Sometimes, a cigar is just a cigar.
    I don't typically quote a previous post, but this just came up, and is relevant. Ellifritz describes at length my sentiments on concealed vs open carry. It's a violation of forum to post both a lengthy quote and a link, so here's the quote:

"MOST people are not observant and will probably not notice if your weapon concealment isn’t up to par. But I’m not carrying my gun to protect me against the average dude in the grocery store or Suzy SoccerMom. I honestly don’t care if those people aren’t paying attention. I’m not worried about them.

I’m also not so worried about the strung out heroin addict looking to boost my wallet or the street hustler addicted to crack cocaine. While those people may be threats, they can usually be managed relatively easily without using a firearm.

I’m worried most about the apex predator, that one percent of violent criminals who will kill me without hesitation. Those guys will notice if my concealment methods are inadequate. They see that gun that only prints “a little bit.” To preserve every possible advantage in a confrontation with one of those guys, I make sure my concealed carry gun is truly concealed. “Good enough” really isn’t good enough."
    graydude and msgt/ret like this.
    "Stop being dangerous, and you become edible." William Aprill

"Slaves, enjoy your freedom." Chuck Klosterman

Distinguished Member Array Militant's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    I don't typically quote a previous post, but this just came up, and is relevant. Ellifritz describes at length my sentiments on concealed vs open carry. It's a violation of forum to post both a lengthy quote and a link, so here's the quote:

"MOST people are not observant and will probably not notice if your weapon concealment isn’t up to par. But I’m not carrying my gun to protect me against the average dude in the grocery store or Suzy SoccerMom. I honestly don’t care if those people aren’t paying attention. I’m not worried about them.

I’m also not so worried about the strung out heroin addict looking to boost my wallet or the street hustler addicted to crack cocaine. While those people may be threats, they can usually be managed relatively easily without using a firearm.

I’m worried most about the apex predator, that one percent of violent criminals who will kill me without hesitation. Those guys will notice if my concealment methods are inadequate. They see that gun that only prints “a little bit.” To preserve every possible advantage in a confrontation with one of those guys, I make sure my concealed carry gun is truly concealed. “Good enough” really isn’t good enough."
    Some times a quote is so good that you just have to quote it....even if you were the one who said it in the first place!!!!
    Mike1956 likes this.
    HK USP Compact .45 stainless HK USP Compact .40 stainless HK USP Compact .45
    HK USP Compact 9mm HK 45c HK P30 HK P30sk HK VP9 HK VP9sk

Sometime I open carry, sometimes I conceal carry.
    Second Amendment: The difference between politicians and rulers.
    US Navy - US Army, Retired
    NRA Benefactor Life Member

CC for sure.

No open carry for me unless the zombie apocalypse is in full swing then I will have all kinds of firearms hanging off of me.
    Pocket Power likes this.

I do both depending on location, activity and purpose. Sometimes I carry a large gun and sometimes I carry a small gun but, I never open carry a small gun nor do I conceal a large one but, I have open carried a large gun while simultaneously conceal carrying a small one. Hmmm, where was I going with all this?
    Bikenut and Snub44 like this.

Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links