Advantages and Disadvantages of Open Carry vs Concealed carry? - Page 13

Advantages and Disadvantages of Open Carry vs Concealed carry?

This is a discussion on Advantages and Disadvantages of Open Carry vs Concealed carry? within the Featured Topics forums, part of the Welcome To DefensiveCarry.com category; Originally Posted by glockman10mm Well Norm is an idiot. Only 8 years on the street...took dozens of guns off bad guys...never once found a bad ...

Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast
Like Tree458Likes

Thread: Advantages and Disadvantages of Open Carry vs Concealed carry?

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    Well Norm is an idiot.

Only 8 years on the street...took dozens of guns off bad guys...never once found a bad guy carrying in a holster...let alone openly in front of the po-po. The guy's afflicted with "I am the one who's supposed to have the GUN" syndrome.
    G-man*, SatCong, msgt/ret and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    I would just rather people not know I'm carrying. Sometimes, a cigar is just a cigar.

And sometimes, you really ARE glad to see them...
    OD* likes this.

Open carry has one advantage that concealed carry will never have. That of desensitizing the public to the sight of guns with ordinary people exercising the right to bear arms by actually unabashedly carrying guns right there in plain sight.

What is seen everyday becomes accepted as something that is ordinarily seen everyday. If more folks open carried then open carry would become as ordinary a sight, and given as much notice, as tattoos.
    SatCong and msgt/ret like this.
    Unfortunately there are many gun owners who will still shop at Wal Mart even though they know Wal Mart partnered with Everytown for Gun Safety just because it is convenient and they can save a few bucks.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Bikenut View Post
    Open carry has one advantage that concealed carry will never have. That of desensitizing the public to the sight of guns with ordinary people exercising the right to bear arms by actually unabashedly carrying guns right there in plain sight.

What is seen everyday becomes accepted as something that is ordinarily seen everyday. If more folks open carried then open carry would become as ordinary a sight, and given as much notice, as tattoos.
    So bikenut, what do you do when you are in a building (federal, restaurant, school) where open carry is prohibited? What are your thoughts about visiting states where OC is illegal? Or, to put the shoe on the other foot, what occupies your mind while walking around openly packing iron?

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Bikenut View Post

How did that work out for you in California? Or at Starbuck's or at Walmart?

Quote Originally Posted by Cypher View Post
    You realize people dont actually panic at the sight of someone OC'ing, right?
    We get the government we deserve.

Disadvantage - You can't go to Walmart now? LOL (I just had to say that)

Originally Posted by Bikenut View Post

You do understand that was, and is, the result of decades of folks hiding their guns like a dirty little secret that has caused society to view seeing guns as an oddity and as something to be feared. And that if folks in the gun community had been open carrying for these many decades instead of hiding their guns in fear of provoking a fearful response there wouldn't be much of a response today?

Y'all do know that the public being afraid of seeing guns is because they haven't been seeing guns and that (just like ending up with so many anti gun laws not fighting each and every gun control initiative no matter what we personally thought of it) is our own fault?

So using the argument that the negative result of the public seeing guns as an argument for hiding guns is nothing more than an attempt to justify hiding the right to bear arms in fear of getting exactly what we are getting from decades of hiding them.
    Unfortunately there are many gun owners who will still shop at Wal Mart even though they know Wal Mart partnered with Everytown for Gun Safety just because it is convenient and they can save a few bucks.

Few hours ago I was talking to a man as he waited in line at Starbucks while I open carry, with no trouble. I should add with my 1911.
    NRA PATRON LIFE
    AzCDL Life Member
    BROWN WATER NAVY

Quote Originally Posted by Russ_Reese View Post
    Originally Posted by Bikenut View Post

So bikenut, what do you do when you are in a building (federal, restaurant, school) where open carry is prohibited? What are your thoughts about visiting states where OC is illegal? Or, to put the shoe on the other foot, what occupies your mind while walking around openly packing iron?

I do not carry a gun, openly or concealed, where it is unlawful to do. In private property cases I will respect the property owner's right to deny entry to those who carry guns (I don't sneak it in thinking "concealed means concealed so I can get away with it").

If the property owner only bans open carry then, if that is the only restriction, I again will respect the property owner's right to deny entry to those open carrying. In that case I will either not go in or, if the property owner allows it, I will concealed carry.

However, if the property owner not only bans guns but also supports anti gun organizations I will NOT help his anti gun agenda by funding his donations to those organizations by spending my money there. You also do not help fund anti gun organizations too.... right?

As for the silly attempt at ridicule with the "openly packing iron" comment intended to imply I strut around thinking I'm some kind of Rambo..... shame on you. That is what anti gunners do.

Quote Originally Posted by Havok View Post
    You realize people dont actually panic at the sight of someone OC'ing, right?
    You realize that scary Black people started open carrying loaded guns in California and Reagan signed the Mulford act banning the open display of loaded firearms.

40 years later people started open carrying unloaded guns to "desensitize" people to the practice and California banned the open display of unloaded firearms.

On Aug 3 there was a mass shooting in a Walmart in El Paso five days later some idiot (I hope no one is offended by my use of that word) walks into a Walmart in Missouri openly carrying an AR. Walmart reacts by banning open carry on their property.

Starbucks banned open carry on their property as a result of people open carrying rifle in their stores.

The city of Colorado Springs banned open carry in city buildings because an idiot (I don't care if you're offended I've actually met the man and he is an idiot) named Donald Ortega openly carried a shotgun in city council meetings.

Open carry doesn't desensitize people it makes them ban open carry.
    wdbailey likes this.

You realize that scary Black people started open carrying loaded guns in California and Reagan signed the Mulford act banning the open display of loaded firearms.

40 years later people started open carrying unloaded guns to "desensitize" people to the practice and California banned the open display of unloaded firearms.

On Aug 3 there was a mass shooting in a Walmart in El Paso five days later some idiot (I hope no one is offended by my use of that word) walks into a Walmart in Missouri openly carrying an AR. Walmart reacts by banning open carry on their property.

Starbucks banned open carry on their property as a result of people open carrying rifle in their stores.

The city of Colorado Springs banned open carry in city buildings because an idiot (I don't care if you're offended I've actually met the man and he is an idiot) named Donald Ortega openly carried a shotgun in city council meetings.

Open carry doesn't desensitize people it makes them ban open carry.
    So anti gun politicians signed gun control. Imagine that...

A liberal company doesnt like people carrying guns. Imagine that...

Despite your examples, my point remains true. If you have ever actually seen anyone open carry you would realize this. Open carrying handguns became legal in Texas because people brought attention to it by open carrying rifles. People can still open carry rifles. Rosa Parks didnt want to sit at the back of the bus. The end result was not black people being banned entirely from the bus. Sometimes waves need to be made. While you found examples that align with your point of view, at the end of the day, you are still wrong. Whats the point of open carry being legal if you're so worried about offending someone that you cant do it? If people dont like it, they need to get over it. That has historically been proven to be an effective strategy.
    Bikenut and ddrew like this.
    We get the government we deserve.

Bikenut: Thanks for your response. I have no real opposition to OC by someone who is psychologically stable and understands his role in society; but there is no way for me, as a private citizen, to know whether an OC guy walking by possesses those characteristics. He, the OC guy, has the power to kill me, and that is unsettling. I know that a law enforcement officer has been vetted and is rigidly supervised, and therefore have no uneasy thoughts about his OC. I packed a gun and badge for years and met all of the stringent requirements to do so; not so for any and all random guys in society. If you, an OC advocate can meet the same rigid standards as that of a LE, then hooray! Otherwise, leave your iron at home.

My Friend (MLPS police officer) told me the first clue he has if someone has a carry permit is if they are using a holster
    He said no holster = no permit

Quote Originally Posted by Russ_Reese View Post
    Bikenut: Thanks for your response. I have no real opposition to OC by someone who is psychologically stable and understands his role in society; but there is no way for me, as a private citizen, to know whether an OC guy walking by possesses those characteristics. He, the OC guy, has the power to kill me, and that is unsettling. I know that a law enforcement officer has been vetted and is rigidly supervised, and therefore have no uneasy thoughts about his OC. I packed a gun and badge for years and met all of the stringent requirements to do so; not so for any and all random guys in society. If you, an OC advocate can meet the same rigid standards as that of a LE, then hooray! Otherwise, leave your iron at home.

So would you require the right to bear arms only apply to those you consider qualified?

Who gets to define psychologically stable? The police? The legislature? The anti gun organizations behind the red flag laws? Would attending marriage counseling mean someone is psychologically unstable? Would the counseling an officer attends after being involved in a shooting mean he is psychologically unstable?

How about an open carrier who looks like a homeless person? Since that open carrier is obviously someone of lower class shouldn't they know their "role in society" and not engage in behavior like carrying a gun in plain sight that should be reserved only for those who have been vetted and are rigidly supervised?

Oh... and I am sure I'm not the only one rapidly understanding that the "role in society" of gun owners/carriers is that of a second class citizen.

By the way... the guy carrying concealed also has the power to kill. The difference is the open carry guy is being honest and upfront with you so you already know he has a gun. The concealed carry guy is sneaking his gun past you. Even if the concealed carry guy is carrying legally he still has the power to kill and is still sneaking his gun past you.
    Havok likes this.

Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links