Advantages and Disadvantages of Open Carry vs Concealed carry? - Page 15

Advantages and Disadvantages of Open Carry vs Concealed carry?

This is a discussion on Advantages and Disadvantages of Open Carry vs Concealed carry? within the Featured Topics forums, part of the Welcome To DefensiveCarry.com category; I don't need to please anybody. Neither do I need to antagonize anybody. We disagree on the advantages of open vs. concealed carry. That's fine ...

Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ... 5 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 LastLast
Like Tree458Likes

Thread: Advantages and Disadvantages of Open Carry vs Concealed carry?

Distinguished Member
    I don't need to please anybody. Neither do I need to antagonize anybody. We disagree on the advantages of open vs. concealed carry. That's fine with me.
    Charlie Co. 101st Assault Helicopter Battalion (Wings of the Eagle), 101st Airborne Division (Airmobile)
    Phu Bai, Vietnam 1971-72

Quote Originally Posted by Wavygravy View Post
    I don't need to please anybody. Neither do I need to antagonize anybody. We disagree on the advantages of open vs. concealed carry. That's fine with me.
    Love your attitude Wavygravy. It is my observation that members of Tapatalk, in all the forums; Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, are rigid and unyielding in their beliefs. It goes to the point of namecalling with those who disagree with political, economic, religious, cultural, racial, etc beliefs. I'm with you: "It's fine with me."

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk
    Wavygravy likes this.

The only time I ever felt really comfortable with OC, besides hiking, camping, hunting, etc, was when I was in uniform.

As a matter of fact, our policy and procedure dictated that off duty the weapon must be concealed, unless the credentials were displayed on the belt or around the neck.
    I asked about that one time and was told it was to avoid confusion and alarm to the public.
    Wavygravy, Doghandler and OD* like this.
    " Blessed is that man, who when facing death, thinks only of his front sight.”
    -Jeff Cooper

“ Looking around doesn’t cost you anything; and it’s a healthy habit”
    -Joe Foss

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Distinguished Member Array patkelly4370's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    The only time I ever felt really comfortable with OC, besides hiking, camping, hunting, etc, was when I was in uniform.

As a matter of fact, our policy and procedure dictated that off duty the weapon must be concealed, unless the credentials were displayed on the belt or around the neck.
    I asked about that one time and was told it was to avoid confusion and alarm to the public.
    Actually curious (not being sarcastic for once), how many 'criminals' illegally carrying a firearm open carried in a holster?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by patkelly4370 View Post
    Actually curious (not being sarcastic for once), how many 'criminals' illegally carrying a firearm open carried in a holster?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    With as low as the number who concealed carry in a holster seems to be, its probably not even a measurable statistic.
    a poor plan that is well executed will produce better results that a good plan that is poorly executed.

This is America. I have the right to go places. You have the right to stay home. You have the right to be upset about me going places. I have the right to not care.

Glockman10mm: Man, that sums up the OC beautifully! I'm at a loss to understand the motivation to OC; a private citizen's only valid reason for being armed is self defense, not that of protecting the general population. A LEO needs instant access to a handgun and therefore must OC it. I can only conclude that OC by a private citizen is a "macho .....look at how sh*t hot I am" mentality.

Wavygravy likes this.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post

There it is in a nutshell imo, although I wasn't LEO, just military. I'm kind of like @Russ_Reese in my view on blatant OC in public, especially places where there are lots of people. Others are welcome to their own views on the subject.
    Charlie Co. 101st Assault Helicopter Battalion (Wings of the Eagle), 101st Airborne Division (Airmobile)
    Phu Bai, Vietnam 1971-72

Quote Originally Posted by Russ_Reese View Post
    Glockman10mm: Man, that sums up the OC beautifully! I'm at a loss to understand the motivation to OC; a private citizen's only valid reason for being armed is self defense, not that of protecting the general population. A LEO needs instant access to a handgun and therefore must OC it. I can only conclude that OC by a private citizen is a "macho .....look at how sh*t hot I am" mentality.

I don't get this type of mentality. I OC'd for 2 yrs before getting my CC permit. I never carried to protect the public and to be perfectly honest, don't plan to.They get what they can give..a 911 call for assistance.
    Reading the above statement the private citizen draw should be slowed down and not be instantly available to ease the general public?
    With this type of thinking applied to other areas of life I can only conclude that people with big trucks and/or expensive cars have self esteem issues or think they are...macho...
    OD*, Bikenut and Havok like this.

Distinguished Member
    @jeffery R --"...With this type of thinking applied to other areas of life I can only conclude that people with big trucks and/or expensive cars have self esteem issues or think they are...macho..."

I'm not Russ, but will throw this out there.

Do you drive a big tricked-out truck to your desk job and the grocery store, never needing it for hauling, towing, or off-roading?

Then yes, you "have self-esteem issues or think you are...macho..." imo.
    Do you have an expensive car that you only drive around town to the grocery store and post office and never go over 55 mph?

Phu Bai, Vietnam 1971-72

Quote Originally Posted by Russ_Reese View Post

There are some OC'ers who think they are hot macho stuff with their gun in plain sight and there are CC'ers who think they are hot macho stuff because they have a super ninja element of surprise secret.

And then there are folks who CC because it suits their lifestyle and needs just as there are OC'ers who OC for the same reasons.

However, at least in my opinion, there is a valid reason for OC beyond self defense and that is to show there is a right to bear arms. That is a reason that CC will never have.

Edited to add:
    There was a time in this Nation when OC of both pistols and long guns was the norm and it was criminals who CC'd in order to have an element of surprise when they attacked their victims.
    Havok and JeffreyR like this.
    Unfortunately there are many gun owners who will still shop at Wal Mart even though they know Wal Mart partnered with Everytown for Gun Safety just because it is convenient and they can save a few bucks.

Quote Originally Posted by Wavygravy View Post
    @jeffery R --"...With this type of thinking applied to other areas of life I can only conclude that people with big trucks and/or expensive cars have self esteem issues or think they are...macho..."

I'm not Russ, but will throw this out there.

Do you drive a big tricked-out truck to your desk job and the grocery store, never needing it for hauling, towing, or off-roading?

Do you have an expensive car that you only drive around town to the grocery store and post office and never go over 55 mph?

While you’re over here judging everyone, all the people who are driving big lifted trucks, or open carrying handguns are just trying to live their life.
    JeffreyR likes this.
    a poor plan that is well executed will produce better results that a good plan that is poorly executed.

This is America. I have the right to go places. You have the right to stay home. You have the right to be upset about me going places. I have the right to not care.

No handgun ammo or open carry at Walmart. I don't care I don't shop Walmart.
    No open carry at Albertson's ,Kroeger's, wherever. I don't care because I don't shop there or open carry.
    Don't care that suppressors are so regulated because I don't use one.
    Doesn't matter bump stocks are banned I don't have a use for them.
    Open carry is stupid because I am afraid of it or I don't understand someone doing it. Illegal? I don't care.
    My gun only holds ten so I don't care if they restrict more than that, doesn't affect me.
    Open carry vs concealed. High capacity vs lower capacity. "Assault" weapons vs "Normal" weapons. 1911 vs cap and ball.
    This is how they win, this is how they divide gun owners and supposed 2A supporters (which by way of these responses many of you are not). Stop thinking about only yourself and your own fears.

Wake up you fools, this is how they disarm us without ever touching the 2A.
    Cypher, Bikenut, graydude and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by forester58 View Post
    No handgun ammo or open carry at Walmart. I don't care I don't shop Walmart.
    No open carry at Albertson's ,Kroeger's, wherever. I don't care because I don't shop there or open carry.
    Don't care that suppressors are so regulated because I don't use one.
    Doesn't matter bump stocks are banned I don't have a use for them.
    Open carry is stupid because I am afraid of it or I don't understand someone doing it. Illegal? I don't care.
    My gun only holds ten so I don't care if they restrict more than that, doesn't affect me.
    Open carry vs concealed. High capacity vs lower capacity. "Assault" weapons vs "Normal" weapons. 1911 vs cap and ball.
    This is how they win, this is how they divide gun owners and supposed 2A supporters (which by way of these responses many of you are not). Stop thinking about only yourself and your own fears.

Wake up you fools, this is how they disarm us without ever touching the 2A.
    Quoted to preserve the wisdom contained therein!
    forester58 likes this.
    Unfortunately there are many gun owners who will still shop at Wal Mart even though they know Wal Mart partnered with Everytown for Gun Safety just because it is convenient and they can save a few bucks.

Distinguished Member
    So, @forester58 -- I can't have the opinion that open carry (especially ostentatious open carry in public places like WalMart) in light of the myriad of recent mass shootings is stupid without being anti-2A? Without being one of "Them?"
    I thought more highly of you than that.
    forester58 likes this.
    Phu Bai, Vietnam 1971-72

Quote Originally Posted by Bikenut View Post
    Quoted to preserve the wisdom contained therein!
    I realize I am venting but, dang, we are our own worst enemies when someone afraid of OC puts down, with personal insults to boot,someone who is not. I don't OC everywhere as some places in my mind just are not prudent. I spent the last 5 days OCing, granted mostly backcountry but, some small town convenient stores, the RV dump station, the grocery store. I left my gun on my belt vs leaving it in the truck unsecured. There were 7 others I saw carrying a handgun openly. We have wolves and Grizzly bears here, lots of them, the OC handgun is just a tool like a Leatherman or a flashlight. Its not a political statement, a "macho" display or any of those insults being thrown at OCers. Concealed carry is just too damned slow to save your hide. That's it and that's all.
    The anti's have actually changed much of their focus from legislating to corporate pressure and local ordinance changes to whittle away at the option to carry and own guns of all kinds. They don't care about the 2A, they think they have found a better way around it than a direct attack. I think they are right about that too.
    Bikenut and Havok like this.

Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ... 5 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 LastLast

Sponsored Links