Advantages and Disadvantages of Open Carry vs Concealed carry? - Page 8

Advantages and Disadvantages of Open Carry vs Concealed carry?

This is a discussion on Advantages and Disadvantages of Open Carry vs Concealed carry? within the Featured Topics forums, part of the Welcome To DefensiveCarry.com category; Originally Posted by DefensiveCarry What are the advantages and disadvantages of open carry vs concealed carry?...

Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast
Like Tree458Likes

Thread: Advantages and Disadvantages of Open Carry vs Concealed carry?

Quote Originally Posted by DefensiveCarry View Post
    What are the advantages and disadvantages of open carry vs concealed carry?
    wizard7mm08 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Militant's Avatar
    I'm a conceal carry type of cat. I love knowing that no one else knows what I know...that I'm carrying a gun!
    HK USP Compact .45 stainless HK USP Compact .40 stainless HK USP Compact .45
    HK USP Compact 9mm HK 45c HK P30 HK P30sk HK VP9 HK VP9sk

“A man’s rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box” - Frederick Douglas

I don't think lawful open carry should hinder LEO's. I DO think people should recognize that in a dangerous environment, when they or their family are not personally in harm's way, it is best to leave it holstered and follow LEO's instructions. This imagined hindrance to LEOs doing their job only would occur if someone were trying to engage the bad guy, while LEO was on scene.
    "What country can preserve its liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance. Let them take arms."
    Thomas Jefferson

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

I'm a conceal carry type of cat. I love knowing that no one else knows what I know...that I'm carrying a gun!

So am I, but I won't refuse to open carry or judge those who do simply because people might get nervous
    "What country can preserve its liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance. Let them take arms."
    Thomas Jefferson

I'm personally all for concealed carry. I also support open carry, but I'm not one to do so. If one wants to open carry, I say go for it.

Now for the advantages and disadvantages:

Advantages for open carry are: 1. You are able to get to your gun quicker and get a faster draw because the gun is not covered by a shirt/jacket/sweater etc,.
    2. It is more comfortable because it isn't being pressed up against your body.

Disadvantages for open carry: 1. You lose the element of surprise when you open carry because everyone will see that you are carrying a gun. If you were somewhere and someone came in with the intention of shooting up the place, if they see you have a gun, you will be the first person to get shot at. It just puts a big target on your chest with a caption that says "Aim here."

With concealed carry it is ALL the opposite, yeah it is less comfortable because it is pressing on your body but there are ways to help make it more comfortable and make it more "carry-able"
    You also have that element of surprise so if someone comes in ready to shoot and you show that you are showing "surrender" you may not get shot right away and the attacker may look away and that is when you can make the choice of Fight or flight.

So IMO, I prefer concealed carry but other people have their reasons to open carry and I completely respect it.
    Havok and markmiela like this.

"If you were somewhere and someone came in with the intention of shooting up the place, if they see you have a gun, you will be the first person to get shot at."

Do you have any statistics to back this up?
    Sportymonk likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by rogue66 View Post
    "If you were somewhere and someone came in with the intention of shooting up the place, if they see you have a gun, you will be the first person to get shot at."

Do you have any statistics to back this up?
    Commonly cited. Never seen anything to back this up. I challenged my CCH instructor and he failed to find any supporting data.
    AzQkr and Sportymonk like this.

I think it takes a person who's carried both ways extensively to understand what advantage or disadvantages of either exist, FOR THEM.

As an example, I have considerable years on concealed carry, and a decade of regularly [ not daily ] open carrying. I find advantage to both, disadvantage to both. If there's disadvantages to both, pick the carry mode [ open or concealed ] you're most comfortable with and work to diminish or negate the disadvantages as much as you can, for either.

I can see the advantages and disadvantages for both sides. Comfort and accessibility vs element of surprise, ect.... At this particular time, I'm leaning more towards concealed as my preference. But, as I'm also still awaiting my license, I haven't actually tried either in public yet. My preference may yet change, especially with summer on the way. I may decide that it's just too hot and uncomfortable to wear a cover garment.

Dunno yet, all I can say for sure is that IF I do decide to change my preference, I'm gonna have to save up to get a different holster, because I'm certain that I would feel pretty uncomfortable OCing without some sort of active retention in my holster, and my IWB concealment holster does not have that.

I can definitely see me practicing both types of carry depending on the situation, I don't think that it's a one way or another issue in states where both are legal. Fortunately my state is one where both are options.
    AzQkr and Sportymonk like this.

Quote Originally Posted by thewitt View Post
    Commonly cited. Never seen anything to back this up. I challenged my CCH instructor and he failed to find any supporting data.
    That's what I thought. I'll continue to open carry and if someone "targets" me, they better not miss.
    Sportymonk and JeffreyR like this.

Quote Originally Posted by boduke5051 View Post
    I can see the advantages and disadvantages for both sides. Comfort and accessibility vs element of surprise, ect.... At this particular time, I'm leaning more towards concealed as my preference. But, as I'm also still awaiting my license, I haven't actually tried either in public yet. My preference may yet change, especially with summer on the way. I may decide that it's just too hot and uncomfortable to wear a cover garment.

Dunno yet, all I can say for sure is that IF I do decide to change my preference, I'm gonna have to save up to get a different holster, because I'm certain that I would feel pretty uncomfortable OCing without some sort of active retention in my holster, and my IWB concealment holster does not have that.

I can definitely see me practicing both types of carry depending on the situation, I don't think that it's a one way or another issue in states where both are legal. Fortunately my state is one where both are options.
    So, I received my license just a few days after making this post. In the few weeks since, I have carried both ways. Started out with concealed, as spring time started setting in, and it's been getting warmer, I did indeed start leaning more towards OC. Did it for a solid week, and had no problems at all. Didn't get any awkward looks, no comments, never asked to leave a business.

Only thing even remotely resembling a negative experience, had nothing to do with anyone's reaction but my own. First time I happened to be at the counter of a convenience store when a local LEO walked in, for a brief second, I just about had a heart attack, lol! Then I remembered that I wasn't doing anything illegal, and the Officer didn't even seem to notice. I'm sure he DID, but he absolutely didn't give it any undue attention.

I'll say that just on a personal level, I feel more comfortable with my weapon concealed, and being the only one to know that it is present. Maybe that has a lot to do with the fact that I'm still only a few weeks into being able to carry, not sure, time will tell. Still don't see either one as being better than the other, I still feel that I'll practice both depending on the situation, and I usually keep whichever holster I'm not utilizing at that moment in my truck just in case I decide that it's either appropriate, necessary, or just more convenient to change my carry style while I'm out during the day.
    Sportymonk likes this.

Distinguished Member Array dben002's Avatar
    Not this again...... Say goodnight Gracie......
    Hipcocked-45

Quote Originally Posted by boduke5051 View Post
    I still feel that I'll practice both depending on the situation, and I usually keep whichever holster I'm not utilizing at that moment in my truck just in case I decide that it's either appropriate, necessary, or just more convenient to change my carry style while I'm out during the day.
    There ya go! That's the way to do it and I'm glad to hear you had positive OC experiences.
    Sportymonk likes this.

When open carry was legalized here in Texas, within the first couple of days of the law passing (Which was last year I believe) Someone was robbed at gun point for their gun. Also, I never said that it WILL happen. I'm just stating my opinion that it can potentially get you targeted. It also depends on how crime is in your location. Crime here in Texas has been starting to get worse. Now Texas is working on getting Permitless Carry passed and who knows how that will impact it.

VIP Member
    Advantage: Everybody knows you are carrying...

Disadvantage: Everybody knows you are carrying.
    OD*, Harryball, msgt/ret and 1 others like this.
    "Stop being dangerous, and you become edible." William Aprill

"Verily, I have often laughed at the weaklings who thought themselves good because they had no claws.”― Friedrich Nietzsche

Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links