Purpose built AR's - Page 3

Purpose built AR's

This is a discussion on Purpose built AR's within the Featured Topics forums, part of the Welcome To DefensiveCarry.com category; I know this thread is a little dated, but didn't want to start a new thread with this already here. I'm seriously thinking about my ...

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Like Tree67Likes

Thread: Purpose built AR's

I know this thread is a little dated, but didn't want to start a new thread with this already here. I'm seriously thinking about my first, and honestly probably only, AR. I think what I want is something like the 0-200 rifle in buckeye.45's OP. Primary purpose HD, secondary purpose some competitive shooting - but only to make me better at using it for it's primary purpose. Pretty sure I want a red dot sight (suggestions welcome here) and a light (same).

I have an acquaintance at work who says I can save money building my own. He is an experienced builder, has all the tools, and says he will help me for free. Or I could do a pre-built gun - I'm thinking DDM4-V1 as a front runner, maybe Spikes second?? When I start pricing stuff out I get confused. I simply don't know enough and once I think I have everything together, I'm not sure that my cost savings isn't because I've sacrificed quality somewhere. Help?

Distinguished Member Array Shootnlead's Avatar
    All of my AR's are purpose built...purposing being to burn ammo and smile while doing it.

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    I have a few dozen AR's and they each have a purpose. Here's one of them.
    Its short..5" barrel. This one has the Troy collapsible stock.
    It's light.
    It's 9mm and can use the 20 round Colts style mags if you are cramped for space or the longer 32 round mags if you aren't.

It has a single point sling on the stock. You can hang it under your arm and cover it up with a shirt to conceal it if need be.

I chose the Trijicon MRO Rd Dot sight. Although it isnt cheap, you can just leave it on for 5 years and not have to worry about it.

It is an SBR and at 25 yards it will obliterate the bulls eye. At 100 yards it'll put all on a B27 target without much effort. Its small enough to go in a pack or sit on your lap in the truck when times are hard.

I have a 3 lug mount on it for easy on/off of a suppressor.

I love this little gun.

Another pic shown with a standard AR for size comparison.

I had to do a double check on that top AR, it looks exactly like one of the rifles I upfitted for my department. Except for the rounded trigger guard.
    Rock and Glock likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by raneyday View Post
    I know this thread is a little dated, but didn't want to start a new thread with this already here. I'm seriously thinking about my first, and honestly probably only, AR. I think what I want is something like the 0-200 rifle in buckeye.45's OP. Primary purpose HD, secondary purpose some competitive shooting - but only to make me better at using it for it's primary purpose. Pretty sure I want a red dot sight (suggestions welcome here) and a light (same).

I have an acquaintance at work who says I can save money building my own. He is an experienced builder, has all the tools, and says he will help me for free. Or I could do a pre-built gun - I'm thinking DDM4-V1 as a front runner, maybe Spikes second?? When I start pricing stuff out I get confused. I simply don't know enough and once I think I have everything together, I'm not sure that my cost savings isn't because I've sacrificed quality somewhere. Help?
    I find that most of the savings from building come from the fact that I only wind up buying a particular part once. For example, if I go buy a complete rifle off a rack, the odds are that I will want to change the trigger, pistol grip, handguard, buttstock, etc... once i get the rifle. So unless I buy a bare rifle to begin with, I am paying for two of each of those (granted I can try to sell the old ones to get some cash back). When I build, I just buy each item once.

Buy quality components from well known manufacturers. BCM, Daniels Defense, Spikes, etc... That way you will know you are not sacrificing quality for components.
    Rock and Glock, rocky and Ocho 1 like this.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by buckeye .45 View Post
    I find that most of the savings from building come from the fact that I only wind up buying a particular part once. For example, if I go buy a complete rifle off a rack, the odds are that I will want to change the trigger, pistol grip, handguard, buttstock, etc... once i get the rifle. So unless I buy a bare rifle to begin with, I am paying for two of each of those (granted I can try to sell the old ones to get some cash back). When I build, I just buy each item once.

Buy quality components from well known manufacturers. BCM, Daniels Defense, Spikes, etc... That way you will know you are not sacrificing quality for components.
    Thanks for the reply, buckeye. My challenge here is that I don't know what I will or won't like, so if I buy components I stand just as much of a chance of buying the wrong grip or buttstock as I do if I buy a complete rifle. So maybe for a first purchase, a complete rifle that comes out of the box ready to shoot and has some sort of warranty behind it is a better choice. I'm not a big tinkerer either. I'm not looking to win any three gun competitions, nor am I "an operator". I want a solid, quality rifle that I can use for RELIABLE self defense purposes, and maybe pass on to my grandkids.

So I'm thinking BCM or DD with a 16" milspec barrel and trigger. I might upgrade trigger to a cleaner single stage trigger, but I doubt I'll find myself running a two stage Geissele anytime soon. But wait...maybe just the trigger and one other item (I do like a sexy pistol grip) make building my own worth it. Great...back to the calculator.

...My challenge here is that I don't know what I will or won't like, so if I buy components I stand just as much of a chance of buying the wrong grip or buttstock as I do if I buy a complete rifle...
    You're in LUCK! This is a universal & legitimate concern, most EVERYone does it & has it. So here's the trick. Become a skilled shopper/swapper/negotiator. Join some AR forums (beyond our BEST one). Watch the buy/sell sub forums. There will ALWAYS be folks that bought something to "try" that they didn't eventually "like". Let THEM pay the NIB retail. YOU, on the other hand, pay wholesale, lightly-used prices to the rich & impatient. Most every multiple AR guy that I know has scads of extra (mix & match) parts. Beyond the lowers, they're just non-restricted cake icing. Because, my friend, you are never, EVER gonna' be completely satisfied, perfectly happy with ANY single AR. So put yourself in a position to be "mostly happy" with...a BUNCH of 'em!
    montejames likes this.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Great advice and bad temptation, ghost tracker!

Senior Moderator
    Thanks for the reply, buckeye. My challenge here is that I don't know what I will or won't like, so if I buy components I stand just as much of a chance of buying the wrong grip or buttstock as I do if I buy a complete rifle. So maybe for a first purchase, a complete rifle that comes out of the box ready to shoot and has some sort of warranty behind it is a better choice. I'm not a big tinkerer either. I'm not looking to win any three gun competitions, nor am I "an operator". I want a solid, quality rifle that I can use for RELIABLE self defense purposes, and maybe pass on to my grandkids.

So I'm thinking BCM or DD with a 16" milspec barrel and trigger. I might upgrade trigger to a cleaner single stage trigger, but I doubt I'll find myself running a two stage Geissele anytime soon. But wait...maybe just the trigger and one other item (I do like a sexy pistol grip) make building my own worth it. Great...back to the calculator.
    Well, If you want a solid basic rifle, and to make it yourself, I would do something like this:

Get a stripped lower from a local FFL: $50-100. Get a metal one, stay away from the hybrid/polymer. I can routinely find Anderson lowers for $50-60 locally. They are perfectly serviceable. If you want to spend a little more for different markings or logos, those options exist too.

Get a BCM LPK: $100-120. The grip is solid and the BCM PNT trigger is a solid step up from a mil-spec single stage. The parts are well known, and quality $100-120

Stock: Depends on what you want, I like the BCM gunfighter stock kit, but have also used a bunch of magpul stocks over the years. Let's say you go with the BCM gunfighter stock kit, it also has the buffer, tube, spring, and a QD end plate. Currently $113 on their website.

So, after the lower, we are at somewhere between $263-333 (plus, maybe shipping depending on where you buy from). A BCM complete lower receiver, which would be close to identical, except for the markings on the lower, can be had for $395 (plus FFL fees).

And then you can add whatever quality upper you want to that, and be on the way to having a pretty darn good rifle at a decent price.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

More great info, buckeye, but I'm still confused.

Stripped lower $70
    BCM LPK $120
    BCM gunfighter bsk $115
    BCM 16" mid length KRM Alpha upper $685
    BCM Bolt carrier group $170
    BCM Charging handle $50
    Magazine $20

So I get a total of $1,230 for that, which is about $200 less than the complete gun. Sound about right?

Senior Moderator
    More great info, buckeye, but I'm still confused.

Stripped lower $70
    BCM LPK $120
    BCM gunfighter bsk $115
    BCM 16" mid length KRM Alpha upper $685
    BCM Bolt carrier group $170
    BCM Charging handle $50
    Magazine $20

So I get a total of $1,230 for that, which is about $200 less than the complete gun. Sound about right?
    Pretty much.

Then you have the other things you may want/need. Optic, sights, sling, more magazines, etc...

Although you will be buying those either way probably.

A Colt LE6920 would be a good option too (although I generally prefer mid-length gas systems).

You could probably also find something from Spikes for less than that.

It all really depends on how much you want to spend,and what features you want. I have rifles I have put together that go as low as about $500 assembled, to well north of $1,000.
    rocky likes this.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

All good points. Still doing my research. Went to the LGS and looked a lowers. Then talked to an unusually nice, well informed young guy there. We talked through what I was thinking and he showed me several of their AR. The first I can't remember the name of. Starts with a "T", used to just make parts but now making complete rifles. This one was $750. Then he put a BCM gun in my hand. To the uninformed, they didn't feel that much different. Slightly better trigger, better charging handle, better pistol grip and stock. All easily changed later.

Then he handed me an LWRC gun. Wow. So tight between the upper and lower, great fitting rail, comes with rail guards, a hand stop, fluted barrel, and acceptable furniture. For a guy like me it needs optics and sights and I'm probably done. $1,450.

Senior Moderator
    All good points. Still doing my research. Went to the LGS and looked a lowers. Then talked to an unusually nice, well informed young guy there. We talked through what I was thinking and he showed me several of their AR. The first I can't remember the name of. Starts with a "T", used to just make parts but now making complete rifles. This one was $750. Then he put a BCM gun in my hand. To the uninformed, they didn't feel that much different. Slightly better trigger, better charging handle, better pistol grip and stock. All easily changed later.

Then he handed me an LWRC gun. Wow. So tight between the upper and lower, great fitting rail, comes with rail guards, a hand stop, fluted barrel, and acceptable furniture. For a guy like me it needs optics and sights and I'm probably done. $1,450.
    Troy?
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

I don't want to sound as if I am knocking you in any way, but, I do not personally understand spending almost $1500 on a first AR-15 platform. I mean, I love quality guns myself. I love the feel and look of highest quality, but, I will tell you from experience that you would need to really really need a high quality rifle to justify that kind of spending until you figure out exactly what you will use a rifle for.

I built my first AR-15 and had over $1600 in it. Almost never used it and sold it at a huge loss.

Make sure you want one and will use it enough to justify the cost. I built my last two rifles and went a completely different direction and both in different calibers. My 5.56 rifle is a used Daniel Defense DDM4-V3 upper mated to an Anderson lower with BCM PCT trigger kit. I got the DD upper for $499 which included a $200 NiB coated bolt group. Bargains can be found.

I still don't use them as much as I'd like but I don't have as much sunk into them either.

A S&W M&P Sporter 5.56 for under $600 is a great starter rifle. Anderson makes complete rifles at a good price. BCM is my choice of accessories and Daniel Defense is my favorite brand but they get pricey.
    "Engage your brain before you engage your weapon" - James "Mad Dawg" Mattis

Quote Originally Posted by buckeye .45 View Post
    Troy?
    That's it. Thoughts?

Appreciate your comments Tally, but all things are relative. My $1,500 may not be your $1,500. If I decide to sell a complete, not home built rifle because I don't like it, I imagine the DD or LWRC will lose about the same nominal value as the Troy. Say $1,200 for the DD, and $450-500 for the Troy.

I am still debating my need/want for an AR, but I decide to get one I will likely jump in with both feet. I may not shoot it a lot, but will want to know that if I need it, it will work.

I currently have 2 ARs (2.5 IF you count a S&W M&P15-22) both Colts, an older LE6920 and a newer AR6951 in 9mm.

The LE6920 is set up for HD and after having used it for years in classes and an occasional match, I'm pretty happy with it as is. The only mods I've down are Magpul furniture, and a Geissele SSA-E trigger. It has two optics; an old Trijicon Tri-Power (Larue QD mount) which it wear in its DD role and a Vortex Viper PST 1-4X (American Defense recon QD mount) for GP and hunting coyotes.

Lately we've been doing more coyote hunting, which here in Eastern KS is normally a 20-150 yd proposition, with a rare long shot. A good part of the time we're carrying 2 guns, shotgun and an AR. Rifle on bipod or tripod, shotgun in lap while calling.

I'm now thinking of putting together a coyote AR (or at least an upper initially) over the course of this year. Right now I'm researching barrels. My thoughts are:

16" length
    1-8 twist
    Wylde Chamber
    Light to hybrid taper (we hike more than shoot)

I'm looking specifically at Criterion and White Oak. Thoughts??????

Thanks,

Chuck
    homo homini lupus est

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Sponsored Links