Culture of Safety - Page 2

Culture of Safety

This is a discussion on Culture of Safety within the Featured Topics forums, part of the Welcome To DefensiveCarry.com category; We need to get the past the "my finger is my safety" mantra that's being spewed out. Yes it is a safety but it's not ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree101Likes

Thread: Culture of Safety

Senior Member Array firefighterguy's Avatar
    We need to get the past the "my finger is my safety" mantra that's being spewed out. Yes it is a safety but it's not the end all be all of safeties. Humans make mistakes.

You can break one rule of the 4 rules of gun safety and be okay. If you break 2 or more at the same time it could end in someone's life being ended.

We have to take gun safety seriously!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    jmf552 and Rockymonster like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave909 View Post
    I think we need a change in mentality more than we need reminders of safe gun handling. The gun community has gotten less about guns and enjoying them, and more warrior-like. I want children to see the Hitchcock45 side of us and guns and not the Funker530. They also need to be sat down and told the truth, that guns aren't evil and can't hurt you by themselves, only you can be evil and hurt others with the gun. Instead of locking up all my guns when a child is around, I'd rather take them to the range and let them get their curiosity out of their system. That's usually the problem, children are curious about everyone and everything around them, and we're too concerned with telling them no and don't touch.

When we ourselves are out in public, we need to stop dressing head to toe in 5.11..I've seen this far too much lately. We end up drawing attention, and it's often attention we really don't want. I really just think we need a change in attitude about a lot of things more than we need to worry about safety rules...though while we're on safety rules, for the love of God stop wearing your gun in a way that looks like you're trying to shove it up your hind end.
    Guns are weapons not play pretties.. if you find them entertaining, great... enjoy. To suggest that the rest of us need a mindset change sounds a little too autocratic for my liking. I don't like guns.. I carry one for a very singular purpose and that is lawful self defense of myself, my family and in the rarest of circumstance ( someone else). My interest in firearms related knowledge simply fosters a more rounded understanding in which I can make better decisions about the use of firearms in general. I train as a matter adeptness, moral obligation and necessity but I do not participate in any form of competition. I don't wear 5.11 gear and can more often be found in Adidas pants and and underarmor shirt. I am just a guy and not part of any club or culture. - good luck
    DRM, jmf552 and forester58 like this.
    Think like a man of action - Act like a man of thought

Quote Originally Posted by Fizban View Post
    Guns are weapons not play pretties.. if you find them entertaining, great... enjoy. To suggest that the rest of us need a mindset change sounds a little too autocratic for my liking. I don't like guns.. I carry one for a very singular purpose and that is lawful self defense of myself, my family and in the rarest of circumstance ( someone else). My interest in firearms related knowledge simply fosters a more rounded understanding in which I can make better decisions about the use of firearms in general. I train as a matter adeptness, moral obligation and necessity but I do not participate in any form of competition. I don't wear 5.11 gear and can more often be found in Adidas pants and and underarmor shirt. I am just a guy and not part of any club or culture. - good luck
    So you're the kind of person I think should represent our community more. I wasn't talking to or about people like you, my comments about mindset were directed towards the people opposite of you. Whether you "like" guns or not wasn't really the point. The point was, too many of us come across as tacti-tards and Special Ops teams instead of presenting ourselves as responsible, sound-minded members of our community who happen to carry not because we look cool and tough, but because if we can stop our own families from being harmed or can stop that young girl behind the gas station counter at 10pm from being robbed and shot, we're prepared to do so. So please don't take my original post as an autocratic ruling.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

You said:
    The gun community has gotten less about guns and enjoying them, and more warrior-like

I think its better to be a warrior in a garden than a gardener in a war. I'll stick to a warriors mindset
    Think like a man of action - Act like a man of thought

I believe proper gun handling and ethics should be taught as a high school requirement. At least then you would have more people who understand that the gun does NOTHING without a user. People would stop fearing the weapon and start looking more at the person Holding it. Also Dressing like Rambo in public is not going to stop someone from bothering you but more likely make everyone think you a lunatic. CCW carry has a reason.. that you look like everyone else and not stand out but if you have to defend yourself you have the means to do so. Even though dressing like Rambo might be fun LOL
    UrsusMedius likes this.

Senior Member Array riverrambler's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DRM View Post
    I had a client send me a G19 for custom work. It came in via UPS. So, I went to log it in, pulled the out the mag and it was empty (check! ). Then I racked the slide back and there was a loaded round in the chamber. OOPS!!!

Well, this ain't the first time I've seen this sorta thing, but hopefully it's the last.

You just can't be too complacent about firearms safety.
    It won't be. More than likely the number one reason for so called "Accidental shootings". Certainly one of the top two.
    I didn't attend his funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it.
    Mark Twain

Sponsor

Lightbulb

Another thing I see are pics like this:

Culture of Safety-.d.-middle-finger.jpg

For some reason, once a person thinks a gun is unloaded, they feel it's OK to point it at anyone and anything.

I had a guy call me when his Agency first went to Glocks. He was teaching a class on how to field strip the gun (it has to be dry fired to remove the slide). An agent shot himself and he wanted to know if it was the Glock's fault?
    Last edited by DRM; May 14th, 2017 at 11:46 AM.
    OD* and PhaedrusIV like this.
    "Think Street, Train Sport, Practice Art" - Chris Haueter, Gracie Jiu Jitsu Black Belt

D.R. Middlebrooks - Pro Shooting Coach & Custom Gunsmith
    Tactical Shooting Academy & Custom Shop
    www.TacticalShooting.com

Senior Moderator
    I pulled the out the mag and it was empty (check! ). Then I racked the slide back and there was a loaded round in the chamber. OOPS!!!
    I had that exact thing happen to me at a flea market in Bonham Texas. I handed the empty magazine, the bullet and the G17 back to the bubba with a dirty look and a few words. I was beyond livid.

Always look yourself!
    PhaedrusIV, OD*, scottync and 1 others like this.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ: Buy These Stickers Here

"If we suppose them sincere, we must pity their ignorance; if insincere, we must abhor the spirit of deception which it betrays." Alexander Hamilton

My boys sometimes bring friends over to shoot out back. They all get a review of gun safety. Most listen well. If they dont, they dont get invited back.
    OD*, DRM, ValkRider and 1 others like this.

I went shooting yesterday (Father's Day) with my dad, and he muzzle swept me twice. The last time I went shooting with him he muzzle swept me too. He used to have great gun handling safety, so I don't know what's going on... other than old age clouding his thinking. The time before that, he invited a friend that owned a .38 but never shot a gun before. That was the most nerve-racking thing ever. After every shot his friend would turn towards us and start talking while gesturing with his hand, with gun in hand and finger on the trigger. I didn't hang out long.

About a year ago I let my dad check out my glock, unloaded. He absent-mindedly (absent-mindlessly?) inserted a loaded magazine, racked the slide, and was about to pull the trigger in my general direction when I yelled out and told him to stop. I also went shooting with my brother a while ago, he brought no ammunition so had to shoot mine, and muzzle swept me. I have already sworn off public shooting ranges and gun shows, because I simply don't trust strangers with firearms. At this point the only people I'll shoot with anymore are my wife and step son.

I've been muzzle swept by pawn shop workers a few times too. They deal in firearms, but a lot of them don't have much safety knowledge.
    wdbailey, DRM and strider43 like this.

Sponsor

Lightbulb

Apparrently, Firearms Safety & Weapons Handling has become a "perishible" skill... ​Or so it seems these days.
    "Think Street, Train Sport, Practice Art" - Chris Haueter, Gracie Jiu Jitsu Black Belt

www.TacticalShooting.com

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    What other actions will build our culture of safety?

To use a current, over-worked phrase, "if you see something, say something." We are all empowered to be aware of safety concerns while shooting and handling firearms, and to make those around us aware as well. This means speaking up when we see something obviously unsafe or potentially so, or - here's the hard part - correcting someone engaged in an unsafe practice. Hurt feelings are way easier to deal with than hurt bodies!

Martin Luther called it the "priesthood of all believers." In our domain, we all need to be active advocates and guardians of firearms safety.
    I was in a situation last year that I didnt feel safe trying to educate reckless shooters. I was shooting in an outdoor pit when two cars pulled up. One of the people was a young neighbor of mine and he asked if I minded if they shoot. I said " not as long as everyone can be safe" and for a while it went fine; we were all stepping up to firing line. This group started some goofy shooting: four of them were on the line with auto loading pistols and they all mag dumped at the same time. I could see rounds hitting way off of the targeted area. So one these older guys decides to shoot his assault rifle from their car. Me and my car is between their car and the target area but Im off to the side a little. he opens up and I can feel the percussion in the air. I wasn't in his direct line of fire but it was still reckless. He didn't look very approachable, I was never close enough to smell but by the look of the older guys I think they may have drinking. I packed my stuff and left thinking it wasn't worth the possible negative reaction to any kind of education not to mention what I wanted to say to them.
    Irresponsible on my part but when I see stupid like that I just remove myself from the equation. I should have been more tolerant and tried to talk with them about basic firearms safety?

Quote Originally Posted by sqlb3rn View Post
    I went shooting yesterday (Father's Day) with my dad, and he muzzle swept me twice. The last time I went shooting with him he muzzle swept me too. He used to have great gun handling safety, so I don't know what's going on... other than old age clouding his thinking. The time before that, he invited a friend that owned a .38 but never shot a gun before. That was the most nerve-racking thing ever. After every shot his friend would turn towards us and start talking while gesturing with his hand, with gun in hand and finger on the trigger. I didn't hang out long.

About a year ago I let my dad check out my glock, unloaded. He absent-mindedly (absent-mindlessly?) inserted a loaded magazine, racked the slide, and was about to pull the trigger in my general direction when I yelled out and told him to stop. I also went shooting with my brother a while ago, he brought no ammunition so had to shoot mine, and muzzle swept me. I have already sworn off public shooting ranges and gun shows, because I simply don't trust strangers with firearms. At this point the only people I'll shoot with anymore are my wife and step son.

I've been muzzle swept by pawn shop workers a few times too. They deal in firearms, but a lot of them don't have much safety knowledge.
    My EX who I still see some times has swept me twice, I politely scolded her. I don't ask her to shoot with me anymore either.......
    I shoot with my fishing buddy and hasn't swept me but has trouble with auto loaders and always looks at the pistol funny and worry he gonna look down the barrel the way he holds it sometimes.
    Maybe we have , as a society looked at guns for so long on TV and movies that kind of treat them like house hold items?

Sponsor

Lightbulb

Irresponsible on my part but when I see stupid like that I just remove myself from the equation.
    That Sir, was the correct move...

I should have been more tolerant and tried to talk with them about basic firearms safety?
    Not worth it IMNSHO...

"Avoid, Disengage & Retreat" is what I teach.

Unless you got a LOT of TIME on your hands and some VERY DEEP POCKETS.
    strider43 and Rock and Glock like this.

www.TacticalShooting.com

Sponsor

Thumbs up

Maybe we have , as a society looked at guns for so long on TV and movies that kind of treat them like house hold items?
    EXACTLY!!!
    Rock and Glock likes this.

www.TacticalShooting.com

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links