Should Bump Stock Be More Regulated? - Page 5

Should Bump Stock Be More Regulated?

This is a discussion on Should Bump Stock Be More Regulated? within the Featured Topics forums, part of the Welcome To DefensiveCarry.com category; Originally Posted by Harryball The bump fire stock did nothing to help the shooter. He could have done more damage with a bolt gun. He ...

Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 ... LastLast
Like Tree809Likes

Thread: Should Bump Stock Be More Regulated?

Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by Harryball View Post
    The bump fire stock did nothing to help the shooter. He could have done more damage with a bolt gun. He didnt get one percent of his intended targets. He gained nothing....
    500 rds fired, 50 dead. One in 10. Aimed fire at 1 every two seconds for 9 minutes would have put 270 in the morgue, not 50. One rd every 3 seconds would have put 280 in the morgue. One every 5 seconds would have put 108 in the morgue, double the deaths incurred.
    msgt/ret, sgb, Mike1956 and 6 others like this.
    The mind is the limiting factor

The lion does not even bother to turn his head when he hears the small dog barking.

https://www.youtube.com/user/azqkr

Quick Kill Rifle and Pistol Instructor

Senior Member Array Petroleum 1's Avatar
    The bump fire stock did nothing to help the shooter. He could have done more damage with a bolt gun. He didnt get one percent of his intended targets. He gained nothing....
    Thanks Harryball for informing me that the shooter could have done more damage with a bolt gun... but guess what?? he DIDN'T have a bolt gun...HE HAD A BUMP STOCK AR FIRING 600 rounds per minute into a packed crowd of 22,000 people at a distance of 400yrds!!

VIP Member
    Uncontrolled cyclic firing at that range saved more lives than it took. Aimed single fire or controlled burst fire would have been much more effective, unless the highest body count possible wasn't his entire agenda.
    AzQkr, CWOUSCG, MMinSC and 1 others like this.
    "Stop being dangerous, and you become edible." William Aprill

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Petroleum 1 View Post
    Thanks Harryball for informing me that the shooter could have done more damage with a bolt gun... but guess what?? he DIDN'T have a bolt gun...HE HAD A BUMP STOCK AR FIRING 600 rounds per minute into a packed crowd of 22,000 people at a distance of 400yrds!!
    His first few rounds of each string may well have been into the crowd, but the rest of them were flying everywhere.
    AzQkr, msgt/ret and MMinSC like this.

sgb
    Should Bump Stock Be More Regulated?
    ..... NO !
    riverrambler and msgt/ret like this.
    " It's easier to avoid conflict than it is to survive it, but if you have to play ..... play to WIN!!!"

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by Petroleum 1 View Post
    Bump fire will not make 600 rds a minute. That's a cyclic rate of full auto m16 if one had a 600 rd mag and didn't make mag changes. 500 rds fired in 9 minutes would suggest he fired 55 rounds a minute average. If it was 11 minutes, his rate of fire was 45 rounds per minute.

That bump firing I showed with the g17 was 16 rds in 2.46 seconds. With a 3 second mag change, I could unload 160 rds a minute until I ran out of mags. In 9 minutes I could unload 1440 rds of ammo walking among the crowd.
    msgt/ret likes this.
    The mind is the limiting factor

The lion does not even bother to turn his head when he hears the small dog barking.

https://www.youtube.com/user/azqkr

Quick Kill Rifle and Pistol Instructor

Administrator
    I should have quote directly from the NRA site
    https://home.nra.org/joint-statement/

Despite the fact that the Obama administration approved the sale of bump fire stocks on at least two occasions, the National Rifle Association is calling on the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (BATFE) to immediately review whether these devices comply with federal law. The NRA believes that devices designed to allow semi-automatic rifles to function like fully-automatic rifles should be subject to additional regulations.
    msgt/ret likes this.
    Follow DefensiveCarry.com on Facebook!

Quote Originally Posted by AzQkr View Post
    500 rds fired, 50 dead. One in 10. Aimed fire at 1 every two seconds for 9 minutes would have put 270 in the morgue, not 50. One rd every 3 seconds would have put 280 in the morgue. One every 5 seconds would have put 108 in the morgue, double the deaths incurred.
    I watched the bodycam footage from the cops on the field. I found myself thinking that, if I'd been there and at that range from the shooter, I'd be very happy he was firing so fast, rather than taking his time with a scope.
    Mike1956, msgt/ret, OD* and 1 others like this.
    "Lots of ways to help people. Sometimes heal patients; sometimes shoot dangerous people. Either way helps."
    - Dr. Mordin Solus

Quote Originally Posted by Cricket View Post
    Despite the fact that the Obama administration approved the sale of bump fire stocks on at least two occasions, the National Rifle Association is calling on the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (BATFE) to immediately review whether these devices comply with federal law. The NRA believes that devices designed to allow semi-automatic rifles to function like fully-automatic rifles should be subject to additional regulations.

Yes, but...At this point, what difference does it make? (< hrc) We/they/many people already know how to make it so they can ban it all they want too it really doesn't make much difference as far as keeping people safe?! It's false security, worthless. You could go to a fire works store and get enough powder to quite possibly cause just as much harm in even less time. Why even push this? This is just as stupid as taking flags down because a boy killed people.
    CWOUSCG and msgt/ret like this.
    Trust God.

What would happen if you put the same amount of trust in God that you do in the brakes on what your driving on the highways?

Think about it.

The devices were a novelty item for those who wanted the ability to make their guns operate close to a full auto gun. reality is, people can bump fire their rifles as it is now. takes some expertise in finding the sweet spot, but yup, you don't need the stock to make your rifle fire at a higher rate. I see the units being regulated as the street sweeper and those devices were regulated. NFA take it away... plus 5.00 or 200.00 that hasn't been determined yet though. just a question on time.
    CWOUSCG, Sister and msgt/ret like this.
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by maxwell97 View Post
    I watched the bodycam footage from the cops on the field. I found myself thinking that, if I'd been there and at that range from the shooter, I'd be very happy he was firing so fast, rather than taking his time with a scope.

As horrible as this incident was, I'm thankful that the guy didn't have a better handle on what he was doing. With the financial resources he brought to bear, he could have killed hundreds with a better game plan.

Lead Moderator
    So the NRA is calling for additional regulations on guns.

Great.

That's why they are a 6 million organization instead of a 100 million organization because of crap like that.
    CWOUSCG, sgb, msgt/ret and 6 others like this.
    Universal Background Checks...the next step towards registration and confiscation.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    https://www.facebook.com/baileysigna...?ref=bookmarks

, please put the NRA on notice, not one more inch on gun control. Bump stocks are stupid and silly to most of us but as soon as laws are passed to restrict one thing more will come. Next time it will be surefire mags (which shooter had) not to mention beta 100rnd drums and than 30s. Don't stand for this erosion of civil liberties. Let's push the NRA to have a backbone or send or money to an organization that does.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by mmangan1188 View Post
    , please put the NRA on notice, not one more inch on gun control. Bump stocks are stupid and silly to most of us but as soon as laws are passed to restrict one thing more will come. Next time it will be surefire mags (which shooter had) not to mention beta 100rnd drums and than 30s. Don't stand for this erosion of civil liberties. Let's push the NRA to have a backbone or send or money to an organization that does.

I'll keep supporting them, though I understand the sentiment.

I don't agree with banning these things, for the reasons I've stated, but I think what it boils down to is that full-auto (or a convincing substitute) is a bridge too far. Restrictions on machine guns have held up for a long time, and there's very little popular support for removing those.

And, though I don't think these devices should be banned, I'm not 100% convinced that doing so violates the 2A. They're modifications for weapons, not weapons themselves. And if they were considered weapons, they're certainly not in common use for lawful purposes, the standard in Heller. Machine guns never were, either, even in the decades before they were first restricted.

I don't like seeing this happen, but sometimes you have to choose your battles.
    wmhawth likes this.
    "Lots of ways to help people. Sometimes heal patients; sometimes shoot dangerous people. Either way helps."
    - Dr. Mordin Solus

Quote Originally Posted by maxwell97 View Post
    I'll keep supporting them, though I understand the sentiment.

I don't agree with banning these things, for the reasons I've stated, but I think what it boils down to is that full-auto (or a convincing substitute) is a bridge too far. Restrictions on machine guns have held up for a long time, and there's very little popular support for removing those.

And, though I don't think these devices should be banned, I'm not 100% convinced that doing so violates the 2A. They're modifications for weapons, not weapons themselves. And if they were considered weapons, they're certainly not in common use for lawful purposes, the standard in Heller. Machine guns never were, either, even in the decades before they were first restricted.

I don't like seeing this happen, but sometimes you have to choose your battles.
    Keep eroding your god given rights because of an act of terror. This is a slow painful process like water eroding stone. You will regret your silence when they come for you.

Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links