Practice de-escalation - Page 7

Practice de-escalation

This is a discussion on Practice de-escalation within the Featured Topics forums, part of the Welcome To DefensiveCarry.com category; Originally Posted by wizard7mm08 Buddy of mine had a ol' Jeep Cherokee that had a broken rear wiper. However, the nozzle and wiper fluid worked ...

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7
Like Tree440Likes

Thread: Practice de-escalation

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by wizard7mm08 View Post
    Buddy of mine had a ol' Jeep Cherokee that had a broken rear wiper. However, the nozzle and wiper fluid worked just fine and we found out on the way back from picking it up that it could squirt a good distance. He would often use that when someone was right on his rear.
    That is probably not de-escalation, but I have considered doing that myself, if only for amusement. But I haven't.
    Rdiorio25 likes this.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ: Buy These Stickers Here

"If we suppose them sincere, we must pity their ignorance; if insincere, we must abhor the spirit of deception which it betrays." Alexander Hamilton

I turned the other cheek and he hit that cheek too.
    Second Amendment: The difference between politicians and rulers.
    US Navy - US Army, Retired
    NRA Benefactor Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by wizard7mm08 View Post
    Buddy of mine had a ol' Jeep Cherokee that had a broken rear wiper. However, the nozzle and wiper fluid worked just fine and we found out on the way back from picking it up that it could squirt a good distance. He would often use that when someone was right on his rear.
    We either had the same buddy or this was more common on the XJ Jeep Cherokee than I had realized. We noticed the same thing on my friends Jeep years ago. Generally, we used it on friends following us on the trails, as a joke, which forced them to turn their wipers on. Ah, the dumb things we do before growing up :)
    wizard7mm08 likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

I practiced de-escalation once. My wife and I were driving from GA to Columbia SC for a wedding around 20 years ago. We were headed E on I -20 and this guy in a convertible Corvette (with the top down) pulled up behind us and got on our bumper and stayed there. I tried slowing down and he slowed down. We were the only traffic that I could see so I moved into the left lane and so did he. He stayed right with us. I moved back into the R lane and so did he.

Well, you see, I chewed tobacco back in those days and had a good size chew of Beechnut in my cheek. By this time, I was steaming and figured I had better de-escalate before I really got aggravated so I stuck my head out the window and spit. Nothing happened. I did it again and his wipers came on!! He stayed right there. The third time was the charm and he moved over and passed us.

Quote Originally Posted by Smylnman View Post
    I have always had success getting tailgaters to back off by running my windshield washers until they had to turn on their wipers. I'm getting to old and aware of my mortality to brake check anymore.
    & some washers you can aim.

Senior Member Array wizard7mm08's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock View Post
    That is probably not de-escalation, but I have considered doing that myself, if only for amusement. But I haven't.
    Oh, it definitely was not. Just a simple anecdote related to the post I quoted. De-escalation and other such topics were of no concern to a bunch of high school students. I will point out that of my group of high school friends I still hang out with, I'm probably the only one who is remotely concerned with de-escalation and putting aside one's ego in a confrontation. That said, I still flip the bird here and there and ain't entirely proud of those moments. Oh well, I'm tryin'.

We either had the same buddy or this was more common on the XJ Jeep Cherokee than I had realized. We noticed the same thing on my friends Jeep years ago. Generally, we used it on friends following us on the trails, as a joke, which forced them to turn their wipers on. Ah, the dumb things we do before growing up :)
    I'm sure its quite common. There was a time where I rode along to pick up a beater car for another friend and it turned out the fluid pump didn't work on the beater. So, being dumb high school kids, we tried to see if we could wash his windshield on a back road. It slightly worked. haha
    "If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
    "Take off ya hoser!" - Bob & Doug McKenzie

Agreed

I once heard a story from a good friend who did the same thing while his kids were in the car...he had mixed feelings while he break checked the person in the yellow corvette behind him because they were putting his kids in danger, but later he felt straight up awful and admitted it was a bad decision because doing so further risked the lives of his kids.

Whenever I have mixed feelings, I have to step away from something even though it may be conceived as a weak move. I'd rather be alive and free than dead or in prison any day.
    bmcgilvray likes this.

Excellent post. My retaliation driving habits have slowly calmed down to nearly zero since I started carrying in 1996. I'm not an angel and I still teach my son some new words when we're in the car. But I no longer retaliate when my driver's ego feels wronged. I started by telling myself that I just saved a life every time I let something slide. I believed it was the other guy's life. In reality it was and is most likely my life that I'm saving.

I work in Psychiatric Healthcare, I’m well versed in de-escalation techniques! 🇺🇸

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7

Sponsored Links