Practice de-escalation

Practice de-escalation

This is a discussion on Practice de-escalation within the Featured Topics forums, part of the Welcome To DefensiveCarry.com category; The purpose of this thread is to help educate new carriers in the art of not going to prison. A little background... About 13 years ...

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Like Tree471Likes

Thread: Practice de-escalation

Practice de-escalation

The purpose of this thread is to help educate new carriers in the art of not going to prison. A little background...

About 13 years ago I was driving down a country highway while carrying my favorite .357. It was after midnight and I, as always, was doing about ten mph over the speed limit. Much to my chagrin, a set of headlights appeared in my rear view mirror and, eventually, the pickup those headlights belonged to made it right up to my bumper.

Being the hot head that I was, I decided a good ole brake spike was the right medicine for this and blam! I did it. I did it right too. I spiked those breaks for about a second and then hit the gas. The truck behind me almost got sideways, went half off the road and I thought for a moment they would crash or possibly even roll. Now, most people would have realized how stupid a brake spike is when they saw that truck almost crash, but not me. I thought it was funny.

After a few moments the pickup regained control and came roaring up behind me and, of course, I spiked them again. They were ready this time and didn't have nearly as bad a time of it on the second go but the truck still weaved around quite a bit.

At this point in time they got wise and changed tactics. The truck backed off, hit me with the brights and began to follow me. I thought they would just go on their way after I turned off the main highway but they didn't. They followed me down a long winding country road and I started to get nervous.

I decided that I was not going to show them where I lived so I ended up pulling onto a friends property with a back way out in case things got violent. This whole time my previous behavior was running through my mind. I kept thinking about what would happen in court if I got involved in a lethal force encounter. What culpability would I carry because of those two brake spikes? The answer, I concluded, was that I'd carry enough blame to go to prison.

Fortunately, the truck slowed and then kept right on going. After a minute or two to be sure, I went home.

All ended well but I haven't forgotten my lesson from that night. The lesson is this: Don't contribute to a situation. If you do, you wear some of the blame and that share of blame might very well land you in prison. De-escalate at all times.

If someone is tailgating you, pull over and let them go. If someone cuts you off, smile and get on with life. DO NOT give them the bird.

Once you wake up to the realization that the world is dangerous and the concealed carry of a firearm is right for you, you also have to wake up to the dangers of behaving in a way that contributes to you being in a position to need that firearm. Not doing so could land you in prison, or at the very least, land you in court. Going to court means that your lawyer gets to spend your life savings, not you.

So, practice peace, kindness and de-escalation at all times. That way, if you need to defend yourself you can do so, hopefully, without it ruining your life.

Cheers,

Timmy
    “In the beginning was the word. Before all else, the word. So we speak as if words matter, because they do.”
    ― Dean Koontz

Excellent advice.

That's good advice. Its advisable to practice de-escalation techniques. For one thing, it gives you more time to compute windage and elevation

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Deescalate but prepare for battle when a potential confrontation exists.

Thanks for sharing that Timmy. I can be a "hot head" at times. Then I tell myself "This dude isn't worth it" and move on. Driving is the only time I have a short fuse...mainly Prius drivers. hahaha (Sorry Prius drivers)

(Reference my "What are you thankful for" post)
    Have I not commanded you, Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go. Joshua 1:9

Quote Originally Posted by AzQkr View Post
    Deescalate but prepare for battle when a potential confrontation exists.
    Agree. Teddy Roosevelt had it right when he said "speak softly, and carry a big stick."
    “In the beginning was the word. Before all else, the word. So we speak as if words matter, because they do.”
    ― Dean Koontz

Reckless driving like break checking at high speeds on a highway merits retaliation.
    RAEIndustries likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tacklebarry View Post
    Reckless driving like break checking at high speeds on a highway merits retaliation.
    Yeah, that's the point of this thread. The retaliation by the law would be in the form of cuffs snapping around your wrists.
    ― Dean Koontz

Good advice. Must have clean hands if you claim lethal self-defense.

I disagree with the sentiment of this. If I get braked checked it is because I was following too closely. Avoid the vast majority of road rage by being a courteous driver.
    AzQkr, msgt/ret, BadgerJ and 22 others like this.
    Doing my best to stay left of boom.

That retaliation being lawful, like dialing 911 and reporting the unsafe driving of that person. That retaliation being unlawful escalation that results in a confrontation that ends badly for either party is to be avoided at all cost, unless one likes paying attys fees and possibly being convicted of escalating [ being the aggressor ] that resulted in charges filed for whatever the end result might be where someone is injured/killed.

Give us an example of your idea of retaliation? Running them off the road where they crash? Pointing a gun at them after coming up along side them? That type of retaliation?

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    Agree. Teddy Roosevelt had it right when he said "speak softly, and carry a big stick."
    His son Kermit said it better: Speak softly and don't be a big green Dickensian, and then you won't need a big stick./Kermit voice.

I receive numerous opportunities (almost every night) to practice de-escalation techniques.

Most of it with my wife!!
    "Life is tough but it's really tough if you are stupid"

Quote Originally Posted by AzQkr View Post
    Give us an example of your idea of retaliation? Running them off the road where they crash? Pointing a gun at them after coming up along side them? That type of retaliation?
    No. I will not put that in writing on an online forum.
    RAEIndustries likes this.

No. I will not put that in writing on an online forum.
    Is that an admission your idea of retaliation may be along the lines of unlawful/violations of laws? Sometimes it's not what you say, it's what you won't say that more revealing.
    Rdiorio25, OD* and dsilverstein like this.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links