Why did you start carrying? - Page 2

Why did you start carrying?

This is a discussion on Why did you start carrying? within the Featured Topics forums, part of the Welcome To DefensiveCarry.com category; Originally Posted by Militant My Dad is a retired Chief of Police and one of my grandfathers (deceased) was a hunter. So, I literally grew ...

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
Like Tree253Likes

Thread: Why did you start carrying?

Quote Originally Posted by Militant View Post
    My Dad is a retired Chief of Police and one of my grandfathers (deceased) was a hunter. So, I literally grew up around guns my entire life but I never thought of owning one or carrying for myself for years. Then one day years ago, while visiting a friend, I "discovered" that he was a concealed carrier. I asked him about it, we talked and what he said about the 2nd Amendment and being prepared to defend ourselves and our families made tons of sense to me. He then showed me Youtube clips of Hickok45 talking about a variety of guns. I was hooked!

I went home and devoured and absorbed as many videos of his and a few notable others that I could at that time and I started reading a few notable gun magazines as well in order to increase my personal knowledge of the "conceal carry lifestyle". I jumped in headlong into this gun world to the degree that I've obtained way more guns than my friend, I attend the range more frequently than my friend and he tells me that my knowledge and how I think about guns has far surpassed his to the point that he now asks me about them. Wow!
    Dam good thing your friend didn't tell you about HK ! Think where you be then !
    OD*, CWOUSCG and Chaplain Scott like this.
    - testing was halted after a brief kinetic episode -

I've been carrying off and on since early twenties. Not necessarily always a handgun though.

Two events that left an impression on my psyche were when I was younger than that. One in my late teens involved an altercation that included a blade (got a couple nasty scars out of it, but fortunately the guy with the knife didn't know how to use one)...it was kind of my own fault. Hanging out with the wrong crowd, young and dumb. Go to stupid places, hang out with stupid people and stupid things happen.

The second incident happened earlier, on the farm. I was in my mid teens, I suppose.

A kegger (beer party) out in the woods some 3-4 miles from our farm got called in. I heard it on the police scanner (my other grandfather was a cop for 19 years after the war, so we always had one on). Well they must have also had a scanner too, as all their headlights came on a couple minutes later. I was watching out the window and all of a sudden it hit me that maybe half of the 40 or so cars were headed our direction. Then they turn into the 3/4 mile road to our place!
    I yelled down the stairs to dad and out came the shotguns. By the time we'd got to the next door neighbor's house (they rented from us) the 25-30 goons had already busted down the front door of their house and were trying to set up a party. They thought the place was empty because the house was dark, but the neighbors were in the basement watching a movie with their kids.

Long story short we ran them out of the house by shotgun barrel, sent them back up the drive way and barricaded it with guns across the hood. Fortunately they were too drunk to cause any real trouble. I'm sure the sight of shotguns also helped their disposition too.
    Finally a cruiser showed up about 20 minutes later. And we basically said "they went a that-a-way" and pointed them on down the road. This probably left the biggest impression on me that when you really need a policeman he's probably not going to be there in time.

I was 22 when I bought my first firearm but loved them since I was a little kid. Didn't know it at the time, but in my state I could have OC'd from any time I wished after turning 18.

I received my CHP (Concealed Handgun Permit) in 1995, soon after we went "shall issue". I was the second person in Arlington County to receive a CHP after shall issue became law. We lived in North Arlington at the time and we were beginning to see some things we didn't particularly like happening in our development. That and the fact that Section 13 of the Virginia Constitution protects my right to bear arms was enough for me to exercise that right at my discretion.

We left Arlington in 1998 and now see that county as a bastion of liberalism. Glad I don't live there anymore.
    5lima30ret likes this.
    In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

America First!

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

I was eighteen, in the Navy, and in Viet Nam running Marines up rivers. The Navy though I should be armed.
    G26Raven, OD*, 5lima30ret and 5 others like this.
    Second Amendment: The difference between politicians and rulers.
    US Navy - US Army, Retired
    NRA Benefactor Life Member

I was opening up the shop I worked at, at 5am in a somewhat violent city. Once I left there, it began collecting dust. I did not begin true EDC until the past couple of years. Why? Because there were enough events happening that convinced me that it's no longer enough to 'avoid' the 'bad' areas. You just don't know when and where something might happen.

Quote Originally Posted by ghost tracker View Post
    Been a firearm fan since birth. On my launch date (the day I was born) my maternal Grandfather ("Daddy Mac") bought for me a lifetime NRA Membership. He did the same for ALL his male grandchildren, along with teaching all of us gun-safety, proper shooting techniques/skills across hand/long guns, providing "loaners" until we hauled enough hay & mowed enough grass to buy our own. At which time the loaner returned to him to keep until my younger cousins grew sufficiently qualified to take the next loaner home.

So my introduction to the shooting sports was generationally engraved. That eventually lead to NCAA collegiate rifle & handgun bullseye competition. I packed guns through the woods, the game bird meadows & just about...everywhere (ahhhh, the rural life).

When carrying a concealed handgun in polite society became a reality, it was a natural evolution. No different, in my mind, than ALWAYS having a sharp pocket knife tucked in my overalls.
    Great history. I am envious.
    ghost tracker likes this.
    ďKeep a government poor and weak and itís your servant; let it get rich and powerful and itís your master.Ē

"Get comfortable being uncomfortable."

My wife and I started handgun training when we lived in California, with no thought of ever carrying concealed. Our instructor encouraged us to get carry permits, but I was not convinced. As I became more knowledgable about firearms I started to give it consideration. I had several friends who had been attacked and severely beaten, which made me begin to think about that scenario seriously. I also was involved in expert witness work where I was in a position to testify against people who were very unhappy with my testimony. My wife had threats made against her due to her work for the state. We both qualified for permits in Southern California.
    ďKeep a government poor and weak and itís your servant; let it get rich and powerful and itís your master.Ē

"Get comfortable being uncomfortable."

OD*
    Senior Moderator

Why did you start carrying?

When I hired on ConRail. When a train "comes apart" (doesn't really come apart, that's just what it was called), like when the thugs at 55th Street would cut your train (shut the air petcocks to keep the train from moving so they can loot the cars) the head brakeman and conductor walk the train (when they still used a caboose) and meet in the middle. The first road unit I stepped on the Engineer as me what kind of gun I had with me, I said none, he said I could borrow one of his if we "came apart." I went out and bought a "Roy's Pancake" holster for my S&W M28 Highway Patrolman as soon as I got back home, been carrying ever since.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow.
    End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

NRA Patron Member

I was commuting to Florida every other week in the late 90's to care for a relative. At that time there was a lot of hype about drivers with out of state plates being targeted by carjackers.
    G26Raven, OD* and Chaplain Scott like this.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernBoyVA View Post
    You have a liberal leaning chief of police in the Gulf Coast of Alabama? That's an insult to the good folks of your state. He must be a transplant.
    No I retired from the East Coast of FL. (Volusia county used to be very conservative however all the liberal transplants from the N.E. changed that!) That is why I now live in LA (Lower AL) which is still a VERY conservative Bible belt area!
    OD*, Ellen62 and Chaplain Scott like this.
    Retired Police Lieutenant, Former UH-1N Huey & MH-53 Pave Low Gunner, Retired USAF Reserve, Glock Armorer, AL Retired LEO CPP, NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, LEOSA Qualified, Active FOP Executive Board Member

"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil 4:13

I joined a group of bikers who empower children. The patch on our backs is a target for predators. But the real catalyst was when the perp was a cop and so it was a high risk visit in a difficult to secure area.
    wizard7mm08 and CWOUSCG like this.
    When seconds count, help is only 18+ minutes away!

Distinguished Member Array patkelly4370's Avatar
    If I'm carrying my gun then it can't be stolen from my home while I'm gone.
    A bonus is that I can use it to defend my life while away from home.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
    Risasi likes this.

I have had my CCW permit for quite a few years. My wife and I spent our vacations touring the country on our Harleys, sometime with a group of up to 20 bikes and sometimes with just the two of us. On one trip we were low on gas and not knowing the area we stopped at the closest gas station and were immediately approached by several men that were leaning against the side of the building, asking us for some spare change, telling them we didn't carry cash, they were getting very vocal that we were riding 30 thousand dollar Harleys but didn't have any cash to spare, needles to say we fueled in a hurry and got out of their quickly, we owned handguns and I had reloaded for a number of years but had really never considered getting my permit, which we both did after that.

Quote Originally Posted by 5lima30ret View Post
    I was required to by my "job". My ephiphany was when another cop I worked with on my squad was off-duty and witnessed an armed robbery and he wasn't able to take action due to him not carrying. (He recieved a 5 day suspension because our rules & duty manual at that time required that you carry at ALL times off duty in your jurisdiction.) note *If that had happened now he wouldn't have been suspended because the new liberal leaning Chief changed the rules.
    I am 51 years old now and have recently became a Police Officer, I completed 4 months at our State Law Enforcement Academy and 4 months of FTO and have been out on the street solo for a couple months now. I was the Oldest Recruit at the Academy which was a source of "Old Timer" jokes and a source of motivation for most of the younger recruits, I have been physically active my entire life, I am not a big guy by any means 5'9" 180lbs but I can do 60 pushups in a minute and 60 situps in a minute and run the mile and half in under 11 minutes, the instructors would often yell at the younger guys that "Grandpa" was beating them and they needed to step up their game. Any how I was extremely surprised to learn that there were several cities that had policies against Off Duty carry, that completely blows my mind, Our department does not require it but the Chief strongly encourages it, I cannot imagine the helpless feeling of watching a violent crime happen and not have a weapon to help defend someone.

Quote Originally Posted by RedSafety View Post
    I joined a group of bikers who empower children. The patch on our backs is a target for predators. But the real catalyst was when the perp was a cop and so it was a high risk visit in a difficult to secure area.
    Do you ride with B.A.C.A?
    CG11, 5lima30ret, Risasi and 3 others like this.

I learned to shoot handguns from my Dad when I was about 12. He had been Permanent Shore Patrol (Navy Military Police) in WWII. When I turned 21, I got a job as department store security in Missouri, back in the day when they had real arrest powers, could carry guns and there was not as much concern about legal liability. I was sworn in as a Deputy Marshal by the chief of the local PD and that allowed me to carry anytime in my home jurisdiction. I bought a Model 36, which I still have and I carried AIWB in a clip-on holster. I did that until I went in the Navy at about 25.

When I got out of the Navy I didn't think about CC much until about eight years later when a shall-issue law came up in an election. I thought, this should be the way it is. I helped campaign for it, but it failed. But a few years later, a shall-issue bill passed through the legislature. Soon after, I took the course and got my permit.

But I didn't EDC for about 10 years. I kept my Model 36 in the glove box of my car in that same AIWB holster I had used many years before. I would only carry if I had to go into a bad section of town. Later, I moved to VA, about 5 minutes from the NRA HQ, I got my permit there, joined this site and decided to get serious about it. I bought a couple of more-up-to-date carry guns and started to take classes at the NRA HQ range. I have been EDC'ing ever since.
    Chaplain Scott likes this.
    Attack Squadron 65 "Tigers", USS Eisenhower '80 - '83, peackeeping w/Iran, Libya, Lebanon and E. Europe

I started plinking with my .22 when I was about 7 or 8. Family always had guns. Never thought about CCW until around the mid 90's. I always acted like the 'tough guy' and had a few years of martial arts so I didn't need a gun <sarcasm>. Early 90's I owned a bar and had a son. One night after closing 2 guys came in and demanded beer. I assume they were willing to pay but the law stated that no alcohol sales after 2:00AM. There were still a couple customers in there. I kept me cool even though they started getting belligerent. I offered them water or pop but that didn't go over well. One of the customers left and went to the pay phone on the corner and called the police. They showed up and after an exchange of words with the police they left. I closed up and walked out back to where I was parked and they were standing there. I had my grandfathers old night stick from when he was a police officer and they asked me what it was for. I told them 'insurance'. I admit I was pretty nervous about the outcome of this encounter but still kept my cool. Just then the police came around the corner and asked the 2 guys if everything was alright. They said their truck wouldn't start and asked me to give them a ride...lol. I laughed and said forget it. The next morning their truck was gone and a customer had a brother that owned a gun shop so I bought a Jennings Bryco 59 9mm...piece of crap gun...lol. Got my CCW and have had it ever since.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links