Why did you start carrying? - Page 3

Why did you start carrying?

This is a discussion on Why did you start carrying? within the Featured Topics forums, part of the Welcome To DefensiveCarry.com category; I read the full transcript of Warren v. District of Columbia.... Scary stuff. Grew up with firearms. Dad was a certified NSSA rangemaster. Got married ...

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
Like Tree253Likes

Thread: Why did you start carrying?

I read the full transcript of Warren v. District of Columbia....

Scary stuff. Grew up with firearms. Dad was a certified NSSA rangemaster. Got married and couldn't carry at college so I didn't really think about it. Now (a few years out of college), I read through the Warren case and realized my family and I were essentially helpless. A .22lr isn't going to do much when it is at home in the same and I can't easily clear the house with it. Pistols may be garbage for markmanship or 'real' firefights, but dang are they handy for concealment and close-quarters. Wife and I completed the LTC (Texas CCW) course a few weeks ago and are licensed.

Senior Moderator
    We lived in one of the poorer counties in Texas. Deputies were a minimum of 15 minutes away, but more likely than not, an hour away. The Meth scourge was running rampant, and home invasions skyrocketing.

It was a prudent thing to do given the circumstances.

We didn't have an epiphany so much as a gnawing concern about our vulnerabilities given our age, our house, and the socio-economic climate.

Sadly enough, in the years since, those problems or others have worsened. I don't live in fear, I live understanding the reality of the world around us.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ: Buy These Stickers Here

"If we suppose them sincere, we must pity their ignorance; if insincere, we must abhor the spirit of deception which it betrays." Alexander Hamilton

Seldom share what influenced me to become armed. Something must be in the air, because this is the second time this week.

At 15 I witnessed a young woman being assaulted by 3 guys. I took one out and the other two beat me to a pulp. I laid in a pool of my own blood and watched them take turns with her, helpless to stop them.
    Swore that night that I would never be left helpless again!

Those three were never prosecuted because "It was a losing case."

I applied for a carry permit when I turned 21. Didn't get it the first time, but reapplied a year later, after the young woman committed suicide, and met with the sheriff in person. He rarely issued permits, but approved mine.
    It's been 30+ years since that first permit was issued. If anything, I believe that it is even more important now than it was back then.
    Today, I carry everywhere it is legal and am never unarmed even when not carrying a firearm.

Evil exists, and it calls for good men to stand against it lest it prevail.
    Democracy:
    Two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom:
    A well armed lamb contesting the vote.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

My Dad was a WWII combat vet that lived in a rural remote area. I grew up knowing that having a gun nearby was just good thinking.
    Lived in the city since I was 19.
    Hmm, must have started carrying when it became legal.

No epiphany, began when I became a cop in 1975.
    ďI wonít be wronged, I wonít be insulted, and I wonít be laid a hand on. I donít do these things to other people and I require the same from them.Ē John Wayne - The Shootist

"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." Seneca

I've always liked guns. When carry became shall-issue here, I got a permit so that I could carry if I felt the need to (and so I didn't have to renew a permit to purchase yearly). When a circumstance came about that made me feel the need to carry, I realized that I really didn't know how, though I muddled through. I decided, if I was ever going to carry, I should carry all the time.

Also, this news story about a murder, in an area my family frequented at the time. Compliance is not a safe option.

https://www.mprnews.org/story/2006/03/21/crime
    "Lots of ways to help people. Sometimes heal patients; sometimes shoot dangerous people. Either way helps."
    - Dr. Mordin Solus

Got my first gun 51 years ago for my 12th birthday. (Still have it. 22/.410 O/U) When Illinois legalized CC my club offered training. I took it.
    I didn't think I would carry often but after slipping a snubbie in my front pocket it has been there ever since - unless I go someplace where it's banned.
    OD* and Chaplain Scott like this.

For me, it was pretty simple. There was no one particular event, but rather the simple desire to protect my wife and myself from becoming the next "easy target/victim" as we grow older.
    I was taught to respect my elders! The problem is, I'm having a much harder time finding them these days .

Well, I have not yet purchased a gun and have no license to carry one! But I am in the process of taking the class to get a concealed weapons license in Florida. I am doing this because I want to stand with those defending a person's inherent right to self-defense.
    Chaplain Scott likes this.

Liberals.

I was riding down the road with my wife not long after the San Bernardino massacre. I mentioned something to my wife that it makes me want to consider carrying a firearm. She said she had considered the same thing, which was surprising to me. We talked about it some more, and decided a few weeks later to take the CHP class together. I immediately applied for my permit, but she wasn't in a rush. That was a little over 2 years ago. I finally convinced her to complete the process at the end of January, and we are expecting her permit any day in the mail.

VIP Member
    Copied from a post of mine in September:

I'm an old 40+ year handgun enthusiast, all because I drove a cab, way back "in the day"!

Had a co-worker who was shot five times through the window of his cab - not by a passenger, but a botched robbery attempt just after he dropped off a fare. He took two rounds in the chest, one in the shoulder, one through his left upper arm, and one that went into his cheek and exited the back of his neck. By the grace of God, he survived, and believe it or not, the bullet through the arm was the only one that caused him any long-term problems! It was a small-caliber pistol, and the shot through his arm damaged a nerve, causing him some impairment and loss of feeling in two fingers of his left hand. The other wounds all healed up without doing any permanent damage!

He spent about three or four days in the hospital. He was back at work after a couple of weeks, and I told him I couldn't imagine what he must have been going through as the creep was shooting him. He said, "I'll tell you what was going through my mind! I was wishing I had a gun! That might have still shot me, but he wouldn'ta shot me five times!!!

A couple of days after that conversation, I went & bought my first firearm - a pathetic Llama .380 POS. It was cheap, I could afford it, and I thought it looked cool! I knew next to nothing about guns at the time, but I knew I wanted something bigger than a .22 or .25. Once I had it, I figured that if I was going to pack a gun, I should know how to use it. Started going out in the woods for practice, and discovered that it was really fun, even with a POS jam-o-matic!

I got smarter, and traded up to a Ruger Security Six within a few months.
    I had to edit the post slightly, as a sensitive someone took umbrage with my use of punctuation marks instead of the emoji. No, seriously!

Anyway, the rest is history. About 42 years and 100 guns later, I'm sure glad I got into firearms. It's been a great hobby/pastime as well as providing security for myself, my family, and my home.
    Regards,
    Jim
    NRA Life Member
    Charter Member (#00002) of the DC .41 LC Society - "Get Heeled! No, really!"
    He that cannot reason is a fool. He that will not is a bigot. He that dares not is a slave. - Andrew Carnegie

Distinguished Member Array CR Williams's Avatar
    Zombies and bears, man...zombies and bears...

I can no longer remember where I got that from.
    OD*, CavemanBob and kerberos like this.
    Si vis pacem, para violentus.

www.inshadowinlight.com

OD*
    Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by CR Williams View Post
    Zombies and bears, man...zombies and bears...

I can no longer remember where I got that from.
    No ... wait ... sorry, you said zombies AND bears!
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow.
    End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

NRA Patron Member

At my wifes job she has been assaulted 3 times, always gave back more than she got, and that was with security steps away.
    Then her employer, state government, got the bright idea to move the department to another location in a section of town known for crime and then Removed Security.
    Her group were one of the last to move and before she did there were several car jacks and assaults right outside of the building and at the parking lot.
    Figured the least I could do was be there when she got off work to protect her, I guess it is actually protecting a criminal stupid enough to attack her as she is much more dangerous than me.
    So I went through the class to better understand the legal issues, responsibilities and risks, even though in the state it is legal to CCW without a permit now.
    Want her to also do so, but she doesn't want to spend the money??? While she doesn't carry there is usually a spare in the glove box she's accessed a few times without having to use it.
    Chaplain Scott likes this.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Sponsored Links