Why did you start carrying? - Page 4

Why did you start carrying?

This is a discussion on Why did you start carrying? within the Featured Topics forums, part of the Welcome To DefensiveCarry.com category; Nothing specific caused me to carry, just knowledge that it's a dangerous world out there. Being in the Coast Guard I moved around a lot, ...

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
Like Tree264Likes

Thread: Why did you start carrying?

Nothing specific caused me to carry, just knowledge that it's a dangerous world out there. Being in the Coast Guard I moved around a lot, started carrying when I traveled at 19, got my first permit when I was in my late 20s. Carried off and on (but always when I traveled) until a few years ago after I retired from the CG, started working in areas where I didn't exactly blend in with the locals so I started carrying all the time. Now about the only time I don't is if I have to fly into NY/NJ for work.
    OD*, Bandit22 and Sister like this.

Sister says "There are Angels walking among us. If they're mean they're not Angels and you can shoot them"

Black Rifles Matter

Just wanted to and it's my right.
    OD* and Rabbit212 like this.
    NRA PATRON LIFE
    AzCDL Life Member
    BROWN WATER NAVY

30 years in Law Enforcement has taught me that the world is full of ugliness. With the drug epidemic people just aren't in their right mind. I care more about my family than anybody else does. Given the chance, somebody has to stand in the gap for them. That somebody has got to me.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
    xXxHeavy and Kilowatt3 like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Six years ago, I spent a weekend visiting my son in Pittsburgh. As we were leaving his church on Sunday morning, my wife went over to give him a hug and say goodby. When we got in our car, she was visibly upset and crying. What's wrong, I asked. She said that when she put her arm around him she felt this hard lump under his suit jacket. "Did you know he had a gun with him? In church! I had no idea and thought it a bit of odd for a church elder to be packin'.

About two weeks later, in Coudersport, PA a man walked into a church and shot his ex-wife while she was playing the organ. Horrified witnesses called 911 as the man left the building. Unfortunately, no one had the wherewithal to lock the doors. Five minutes later, the police still hadn't arrived so the man walked back in to see if she was dead. She wasn't, so he pumped two more rounds into her.

A few months later, I guy showed up at a church and began shooting at people as the exited the building. A church member with a concealed handgun put him down. I doubt that story was reported on CNN.

Anyway, that's when I started carrying on a regular basis.
    Portcullis, Ellen62 and OneGunTX like this.

Tool of the chosen trade.

Ever since, needing it and not having it just seemed like the most unacceptable notion of all.

Thankful that when I have needed it, I had it (more thankful that its engineered function has thus far been unnecessary).

Quote Originally Posted by Kilowatt3 View Post
    Copied from a post of mine in September:

I had to edit the post slightly, as a sensitive someone took umbrage with my use of punctuation marks instead of the emoji. No, seriously!

Anyway, the rest is history. About 42 years and 100 guns later, I'm sure glad I got into firearms. It's been a great hobby/pastime as well as providing security for myself, my family, and my home.
    Good point. It could happen to anyone. Your co-worker was lucky. Being prepared is a prudent, defensive response.
    Kilowatt3 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by ahannas View Post
    Six years ago, I spent a weekend visiting my son in Pittsburgh. As we were leaving his church on Sunday morning, my wife went over to give him a hug and say goodby. When we got in our car, she was visibly upset and crying. What's wrong, I asked. She said that when she put her arm around him she felt this hard lump under his suit jacket. "Did you know he had a gun with him? In church! I had no idea and thought it a bit of odd for a church elder to be packin'.

About two weeks later, in Coudersport, PA a man walked into a church and shot his ex-wife while she was playing the organ. Horrified witnesses called 911 as the man left the building. Unfortunately, no one had the wherewithal to lock the doors. Five minutes later, the police still hadn't arrived so the man walked back in to see if she was dead. She wasn't, so he pumped two more rounds into her.

A few months later, I guy showed up at a church and began shooting at people as the exited the building. A church member with a concealed handgun put him down. I doubt that story was reported on CNN.

Anyway, that's when I started carrying on a regular basis.
    I hear you!!

My CC experience

Quote Originally Posted by DefensiveCarry View Post

Why did you start carrying, or what was the catalyst? Did you have an epiphany?

If so, can you tell us about it?
    I started carrying back in the mid 80's when my job was taking me through a very rough section of Dallas, TX in the middle of the night. This was before cell phones. I bought one of the first DA 9MM from S&W. I didn't even have a proper holster at first. I don't drive through that part of town anymore but I still carry!
    OD* likes this.

OD*
    Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by K4Kimber View Post
    I started carrying back in the mid 80's when my job was taking me through a very rough section of Dallas, TX in the middle of the night. This was before cell phones. I bought one of the first DA 9MM from S&W. I didn't even have a proper holster at first. I don't drive through that part of town anymore but I still carry!
    Which S&W would that have been, a revolver maybe? The Model 547 came out around 1980, the Model 39 was S&W's first DA auto 9mm, introduced in 1955.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow.
    End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

NRA Patron Member

Yes, epiphany. My martial afficiandoship sailed into the realm of lethal force.
    There is a solution but we are not Jedi... not yet.
    Doghandler
    We have deep thinkers and stinkers in this group that could come up with a solution...
    welder516
    Buck the donkey

I've carried for the past 20ish years.I remember one night in East Cleveland coming around a roundabout just outside of of MLK Blvd, I almost failed to yield the right of way and the guy entering the roundabout honked at me. I apologized with a wave (seriously all 5 fingers) and he actually stopped his car and started to get out of his car. I had a pistol with me and when I held it up (seriously in a not pointing at him way) he decided to get back in the car and exit quickly. It just reaffirmed how people can get killed over the stupidest stuff. Seriously getting out of your car because I almost cut you off. Apparently he decide d it wasn't worth it after all.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Technically I started carrying as soon as I was of age because it's my right, I believe anyone and everyone comfortable with a firearm should, and because we live in a messed up world. I was one that didn't necessarily take it too seriously and would sometimes carry, sometimes not. ALWAYS had one in my glove box and/or desk drawer but often times would neglect to keep it on my hip or ankle. Then I had a family.
    I married a great woman and had my amazing children with her. The morning my oldest was born I had seen on the news where a woman in another state had been shot and killed, her husband shot and fatally wounded, and their young son abducted. I don't think I've had a day since I didn't carry because that same day my daughter came in to this world and that was fresh on my mind. Never wanted to be in a situation where I'd said "if only I'd had my gun". This world is a scary place and seems to be getting progressively more violent. If anything I carry more (whether gun capacity or quantity of guns) than ever before. Not that I'm strapped to the gills, but odds are if you see me I at least have one single stack or revolver with an extra mag/speed loader.
    Pray you never have to use it but thank God you've got it if you do.
    I believe in God, America, & the .38 special

Got my FL CWP in 2000 so that I could drive to and from the range without ridiculous hassle. At that time in FL, if you did not have a CWP, you had to keep ammo in one compartment of the car and guns in another. Even a stray round in a range bag could get a person in legal trouble. However, if you had a CWP, you could carry guns and ammo in your car any way you wanted.

From 2000 to 2013, I only carried in places that I considered potentially dangerous: movie theaters, malls, etc. I started carrying everyday when a friend asked me this simple question:
    Do you only buckle your seat belt when you expect to have an accident?
    OD* and Ellen62 like this.

Finally got my first gun after a break in at my home. If it had happened one day earlier I would have been at home sick in the bed when it occurred. They broke in the bedroom door via our back porch (even with 2 large dogs and a monitored alarm system.)

Besides this, what pushed my to actually carry... I got a call from the alarm company that the front door was opened and triggered the alarm.
    when the break in happened the cops that arrived:
    1. did not secure the exterior of the home. No one went out back to check the house, yet the fence was clearly kicked down in one section. They saw the front door was opened without being broken and assumed the dog opened the door. (pretty talented dog who can work a deadbolt!) if they had simply walked out back, they would have seen the screendoor was smashed and the bedroom door was shattered and laying in the bedroom floor. Very obvious from out back.
    2. Mom arrived before me, but after the cops... At 70ish years of age, with a walker after just having hip surgery... the cops sent her into the house first ALONE to "see" if anything was wrong. She discovered the broken door and ransacked bedroom.

What if the thieves were still inside???

So anyway, I learned really quick, if the cops won't check my house and i have to go in first... I need to be armed to protect myself while I clear my own home.

Also I work downtown and there have been shootings at my parking deck, as well as, my wife at the time, now x, parking deck. I was going to be armed at all times.

I had to purchase a few before I got something I could fully conceal deeply to carry Daily. LCP...
    Blazin9 likes this.

Senior Moderator
    The voices in my head kept getting closer.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ: Buy These Stickers Here

"If we suppose them sincere, we must pity their ignorance; if insincere, we must abhor the spirit of deception which it betrays." Alexander Hamilton

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Sponsored Links