Why did you start carrying? - Page 7

Why did you start carrying?

This is a discussion on Why did you start carrying? within the Featured Topics forums, part of the Welcome To DefensiveCarry.com category; Too many bad hombres out their looking to do bad, protecting my family is paramount! 🇺🇸...

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
Like Tree264Likes

Thread: Why did you start carrying?

Too many bad hombres out their looking to do bad, protecting my family is paramount! 🇺🇸

I started to see to much stuff happening around town. My mom was nearly the victim of a robbery in a parking lot.

I also hike and stuff alone, and have crossed paths with a few sketchy dogs.

Senior Moderator
    I got my first defensive handgun at age 40. Within a year I took Ayoob's LFI-1 course, which was a huge enlightenment for me. But being married to an "anti" at the time, I was circumspect about carrying routinely. Thus I was armed only on those late-night runs to the ATM or for milk, or on the infrequent trips into Hartford where the likelihood of trouble was higher.

My "epiphany" came shortly after moving to AZ, into the town known as the "safest town in Arizona." I hadn't been here a year when a teenaged kid was gunned down on a sidewalk at night, having witnessed an armed robbery/carjacking. This happened on my daily walking route not 500 yards from my house. "Any time, anywhere" all of a sudden took on a new meaning for me, and ever since, I am armed as a matter of routine.
    OD*, halem1, SatCong and 5 others like this.
    Smitty
    AZCDL Life Member
    NRA Patron Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

As a liberty minded American I started carrying because it is my right to do so.
    Henry9008 likes this.

DG
    I was driving a cab in New Orleans. I worked at night because that's where the real money is. New Orleans is a party town and the parties are better at night.
    At the same time, bad guys work at night also.

I was never robbed. One of our female drivers was though. She was driving one of those old Chrysler four doors with the split front seat. She came around with a gun that would have made Clint Eastwood proud. Her arm was wedged between the seat backs when she pulled the trigger.

I don't know if her hearing was ever the same after that.
    OD*, airslot and TSKnight like this.
    Simplistic solutions to complex problems seldom produce satisfying results.

VIP Member
    No epiphany on my part. I started carrying because I could (when an where permitted). As a career naval officer working on base all the time and living on base several times, it was very difficult. But when I retired I discovered the Utah non-resident license, and the rest, as they say, is history.
    airslot, OD* and TSKnight like this.
    "The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." Alexander Hamilton

Patron Life Member NRA
    SAF - CCRKBA
    NAGR / GOA
    TFA-LAC / Save the 2A
    Handgunlaw.us Donor

VIP Member
    I realized that the trouble I could have by NOT carrying was far worse than the trouble I MIGHT have by carrying. I've carried more than not since I was 15. Never been busted, never went looking for trouble, and have had my bacon saved by having a gun twice for sure before I was 20. A gun is a mighty useful tool to have sometimes.
    airslot, OD* and TSKnight like this.

My grandparents were murdered during a home invasion. As a result my mother ALWAYS carried a revolver everyday and everywhere. I grew up knowing that my mother had a revolver with her all the time. This was so normal for me that I thought everyone's mother had a revolver all the time. Then, my mother taught me to carry a firearm as well. Mom passed away 35 years ago, I am 67 years old and have carried a firearm my entire life. I have carried Smith and Wesson 38 stubbies, North American Arms 22LR, and now I carry a North American Arms 22 mag or a Ruger LCP, or a Ruger LC380. I never leave home without a firearm.
    OD*, OneGunTX, TSKnight and 2 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by spclopr8tr View Post
    No epiphany on my part. I started carrying because I could (when an where permitted). As a career naval officer working on base all the time and living on base several times, it was very difficult. But when I retired I discovered the Utah non-resident license, and the rest, as they say, is history.
    I always find it curious that the military are so strict about firearms on base?
    OD* likes this.

Distinguished Member Array 19Kvet's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pskys2 View Post
    I always find it curious that the military are so strict about firearms on base?
    It's not curious when you've met PVT Snuffy.
    OD* and Wavygravy like this.

Distinguished Member Array Shootnlead's Avatar
    I grew up in an area, though rural...it was known as a pretty violent county. Growing up, seemingly, there was someone getting killed all of the time. Most of this was being done amongst the hoodlum community. We actually had shootouts on the main drag in the county seat...spitting distance from the courthouse and Sheriff's office. Anyway, although I was not connected to the hoodlum community in any fashion, I did not want to be caught up in one of their "situations" without any means of defense. At 18yrs old, in Ga, I could carry openly or concealed. My county issued a "license" but it was not necessary to have it as there was no "license" enforcement. I chose to get the license when I turned 18 as I thought that this wold help differentiate me from the hoodlums in the event that I ever got caught up in anything. So, once I started, I have just continued for the intervening 41yrs...too old to stop now. I am proud to say the the hoodlum situation improved greatly in the 80's...but I am sad to say that it has been replaced by the drug crowd now. Matter of fact, in the last month in my county of less than 25,000...there have been 3 killed and 5 shot. ..this is mostly the drug crowd doing it to themselves. However, the drug crowd prowls, robs and steals...the hoodlums of years ago did not really do that. With this being todays reality, the randomness factor of these crimes makes me want to have my family and myself armed all of the time.
    Last edited by Shootnlead; March 1st, 2019 at 11:45 PM.
    TSKnight, OD* and Blazin9 like this.
    “The everyday man who holsters a handgun for come-what-may eventualities cannot improve on a .44 Special revolver.” Skeeter Skelton

Quote Originally Posted by 19Kvet View Post
    It's not curious when you've met PVT Snuffy.
    OD* likes this.

I wanted to better protect myself in environments that are not always the safest

I grew up around guns, hunted rabbit and squirrel with my dad (a WII vet) in my 20's I started hunting deer. I didn't start carrying concealed until I was 54 got my first CCL. No life changing events occurred. I just thought it would be good thing to do.
    OD* likes this.
    Sarge 80 1976-1983 US Air Force

I like having extra metal in my pants

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Sponsored Links