Why did you start carrying? - Page 8

Why did you start carrying?

This is a discussion on Why did you start carrying? within the Featured Topics forums, part of the Welcome To DefensiveCarry.com category; I had a gun pulled on me with my daughter standing right behind me. I was mad at myself that I couldn't protect us so ...

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8
Like Tree264Likes

Thread: Why did you start carrying?

New Member Array Mrs.Packinmama's Avatar
    I had a gun pulled on me with my daughter standing right behind me. I was mad at myself that I couldn't protect us so I decided to do something about it. I didn't just get a gun, I got a range membership and my husband and I became friends with one of the local gun dealers and started knowledging up! I was at my home when the incident happened but I know that psycho morons are everywhere, therefore I don't leave home without it.

My only gun for many years was a Ruger Super Blackhawk .44 magnum revolver that covered plinking, hunting, and self-defense.

On a Sunday afternoon in 1991, my wife and I were four-wheel driving on jeep trails in the high desert. We came over a rise and saw two old beater pickups parked across the jeep trail front bumper to front bumper about thirty to forty yards ahead. Three men who looked like they were from the movie Deliverance had what looked like large maps laid out on the hood.

I decided to turn around and go the other direction. The men hurriedly jumped in the pickups and headed our direction while I was turning around. We did not have our revolver with us. They chased us for two or three miles back to the paved road before giving up and turning around.

The next day, we bought a Glock G20 10mm for me and an S&W 640 Centennial .357 magnum for my wife. The state we lived in changed right after that from may issue (not likely) to shall issue. We took the state approved test and qualified at the range. My wife and I were some of the first ones to get our carry permits in our county. We have carried ever since.
    TSKnight likes this.
    Second Amendment: The difference between politicians and rulers.
    US Navy - US Army, Retired
    NRA Benefactor Life Member

New Member Array Mrs.Packinmama's Avatar
    Wow, sorry y'all went through that but glad y'all came out ok! It took one good reality check for me too, now I don't even walk down the street without my gun.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

I had a pistol pointed at me from 10 feet and the guy said he was going to kill me. I was unarmed.

I carry a pistol now.
    Charlie Co. 101st Assault Helicopter Battalion (Wings of the Eagle), 101st Airborne Division (Airmobile)
    Phu Bai, Vietnam 1971-72

Back in the 70s in the city of NY I I watched as 3 men beat the crap out of a guy on my front porch at 2AM. LUckily the police came fairly quick. I remember the feeling of helplessness I felt ; not owning any weapons.

Then in 2005 we moved to Florida where your right to carry is respected and even encouraged by law enforcement. Singularly rates as one the best days in my life when I left NY. I've carried every day since.

If you have watched your local news lately or have been to Walmart within the past week,If you do not carry YOU MIGHT BE A FRENCH FRY SHORT OF A HAPPY MEAL.
    TSKnight likes this.

Distinguished Member Array BkCo1's Avatar
    Experiences as a youth and seeing things half way around the world. When I got out of the Marines I bought a pistol as soon as I had the money. Many years carrying with the permission of the state. Finally state had cc permits.
    Semper Fi
    "Marines don't surrender-they win or die." from Brute

Back in my younger days I was able to fight some one my own size, and run if outnumbered.
    In my 60's I can't do either anymore.
    I will not take a beating from any antifa sissy boy.

As soon as I turned 21 I went to the Sheriff's Office and was sworn in as a special deputy. I have carried ever since, for over 50 years.

I didn't want to be a sitting duck at my church some Sunday morning. But we all know an active shooter event can happen anywhere, anytime. I was a Boy Scout in the 1960's and it taught me to be prepared. I had a career in the Navy that taught me to train and be ever vigilant.

Self-Defense Education, Training & Legal Protection
    For Responsibly Armed Americans

David R

I carried a gun until I met my wife. She wanted no part of guns until some maniac chased her from one end of town to the other. She pulled in the driveway, got out of the car and told me she wanted a gun and she wanted her permit. We signed up for a class that week.

I have shot guns and helped my dad reload since I was 4 years old. Started reloading on my own soon after that. My father bought several guns from the NRA (Early 60's, Before Kennedy was shot) and one of them was a Remington Rand 1911. He always told me that it would be mine when I turned 21. I was overseas at the time I turned 21. When I came home, the second thing he did was give me that pistol. He always had a permit ever since I could remember. So I went down to the county Sheriffs office and got one. Back then being a combat veteran automatically qualified you for one in my county. Fast forward about 15 years, my neighbor was elderly and did not pay her power bill and asked me to go downtown and pay it before she lost power. So I did. As I was driving downtown on a surface street, a car full of "Bangers" pulled up at the stoplight and pointed a Saturday Night Special out the window at me. I hit the gas and took off. I looked in my side mirror they were laughing their a$$es off. I thought wait a minute, You have your pistol. So next stoplight I pulled my much bigger pistol out and pointed it at them. They took off running and may still be. When got home that evening and asked my wife If her company still wanted her to open a branch in Boise? We left Fresno within two months.
    Aut Pax Aut Bellum

why? for the same reason I have a fire extinguisher and wear a seatbelt. I simply want an effective means to potentially offset unwelcomed difficulties.
    Think like a man of action - Act like a man of thought

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8

Sponsored Links