Why did you start carrying? - Page 9

Why did you start carrying?

This is a discussion on Why did you start carrying? within the Featured Topics forums, part of the Welcome To DefensiveCarry.com category; It was 2012 and I said well better get my license to legally be able and defend myself from the upcoming zombie apocalypse... Sent from ...

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9
Like Tree284Likes

Thread: Why did you start carrying?

Senior Member Array GreenMan0352's Avatar
    It was 2012 and I said well better get my license to legally be able and defend myself from the upcoming zombie apocalypse...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Simple. It was 1978 and at the largest voluntary Army ROTC program in the nation at the University of Alabama most all the seniors or juniors who were aged 21 and intended to be branched into one of the four main Combat Arms branches of Infantry, Armor, Field Artillery or Air Defense Artillery got their carry permit for the state of Alabama. I was going Infantry and so I pulled on my cadet uniform and marched myself down to the county sheriffs office. That grizzled old guy locked my heels at the position of attention and walked round and round me before pronouncing me fit. Said (let me see if I can remember his exact verbiage) “to be sure I didn’t kill nobody whut didn’t need killin!” We were already well schooled in handling of firearms and my own major of Criminal Justice with a concentration in Law Enforcement had a modicum of training involved and... I’d spent a year working my way thru school as an armed security guard.
    Two Bears and WrongRecroom like this.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 31 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; NRA Patriot Benefactor Life; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO. IDPA, USPSA, STEEL CHALLENGE competitor. RETIRED Social Studies Educator as of 12/7/2018

I'm a black belt in Chito Ryu, and I boxed Golden Gloves. I walked around all my life and never worried about confrontation or fighting, never even thought about it. And honestly, never really needed to. Now, fast forward several decades, I'm not that same guy. I'm getting old and have some health problems. And the world is getting more dangerous. I knew I needed to do something to protect my family. I always had a love for guns and used to shoot and hunt with my dad when I was a kid. So getting my CCW was a natural progression and i've had it for years now
    surefire7 likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

I used to only carry occasionally. For the last few years I always carry. People are going nuts anymore and you never know when or where a situation could take place.
    Wavygravy likes this.

Senior Member Array GreenMan0352's Avatar
    The Walking dead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Work related. I wised-up after attending a parade while not working and had FOUR people come up to me and tell me that I transported them from Jail to Court.
    Member: Orange Gunsite Family, NRA--Life, American Legion
    "Laws are nothing more than guidelines for honest citizens to follow. Criminals care nothing for laws or their consequences, or the Police or Courts. Getting caught is nothing more to them than a minor inconvenience".--Me

A guy at my office had been fit a while and turned me over to some Gun company’s and edc brands and I was hooked

Related to my college degree and post graduate employment. I majored in Criminal Justice with a concentration in Law Enforcement at the University of Alabama. I worked my way thru my senior year as an armed security guard, working nights at an asphalt plant outside of town. So I’d work and study all night in the guard shack, check trucks in and out, make rounds, etc. Then, in the morning I’d go home, brush my teeth, change and go to school. Sleep from lunch on.

I was already well trained as an ROTC cadet destined to be commissioned as an Infantry Officer and almost all of us headed for the Combat Arms got Alabama CCW permits and carried on campus. I already knew most of the Tuscaloosa force from my classes.

The process to get my permit was interesting. I put on my green uniform went to the police HQ and the chief of Police put me at the position of attention and he walked round and round me. Finally he made a grunting noise and said (I quote directly here): “You’ll DO. Just don’t kill nobody what don’t deserve it.” Permit cost was $5.00
    OD* and Two Bears like this.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 31 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; NRA Patriot Benefactor Life; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO. IDPA, USPSA, STEEL CHALLENGE competitor. RETIRED Social Studies Educator as of 12/7/2018

Quote Originally Posted by ExSoldier View Post
    Simple. It was 1978 and at the largest voluntary Army ROTC program in the nation at the University of Alabama most all the seniors or juniors who were aged 21 and intended to be branched into one of the four main Combat Arms branches of Infantry, Armor, Field Artillery or Air Defense Artillery got their carry permit for the state of Alabama. I was going Infantry and so I pulled on my cadet uniform and marched myself down to the county sheriffs office. That grizzled old guy locked my heels at the position of attention and walked round and round me before pronouncing me fit. Said (let me see if I can remember his exact verbiage) “to be sure I didn’t kill nobody whut didn’t need killin!” We were already well schooled in handling of firearms and my own major of Criminal Justice with a concentration in Law Enforcement had a modicum of training involved and... I’d spent a year working my way thru school as an armed security guard.
    Like you, I was in an ROTC cadet corp, graduating from Eastern New Mexico University. I was part of the "Counter Insurgency" unit that was trained by the Special Forces cadre at the school apart from the regular ROTC cadets and wanted as well as expected to get an Infantry Branch assignment. My family has a history in Infantry. Unfortunately it did not happen (long story) though I did my best to get the Professor of Military Science to change his mind and give me an Infantry slot. I got stuck in Air Defense much to my regret! Long story. After I came out of the army and I lived where concealed carry was legal I applied and received a permit.

I started carrying after having kids, part of my responsibilities being a dad was making sure NOTHING hurt those little guys. Lots of advanced firearm training and competition shooting to be as safe and proficient as possible.
    OD* likes this.

I was in the military many years ago and was fascinated by all the weapons I learned to shoot. At the time I lived in NY, where it is so difficult to get a conceal carry license. I always wanted to have a firearm for self-defense and go to the range so when we sold our house and moved to Florida my dream came true. Although I am a newbie I am very responsible with my firearms, follow the law and enjoy carrying and going to the range like I always wanted.
    OD* likes this.
    NRA Member 2020

I think I literally knew it was my ~Darth Vader voice~ DESTINY. My degree was in Criminal Justice and I was about to be Commissioned into the U.S. Army Infantry as a “leader of men” and into the profession of arms.

I was a junior at the University of Alabama and most of us in Army ROTC got carry permits— especially those of us branched already into the Combat Arms. The folks who generally squeeze triggers against an enemy of our country. One day after I turned 21 (I’m 63 today—well yesterday) I just strolled over to the Tuscaloosa Police HQ in my cadet greens and told the chief I wanted my permit.

He marched me out into the squad car parking lot, put me at the position of attention and walked round and around me. Finally he looked me in the eye, and gave me a nod. He said: “You’ll DO. Don’t kill nobody that don’t need killin!” and I got my state permit that day. I think it cost me $10. This was 1978.

Since then I’ve had a carry permit where I was stationed (Fort Lewis, WA state) and I carried everywhere. There were no restrictions as to where it was forbidden except on post and at the airport. On post, I could carry an issue weapon but ammo was restricted to a firing line for qualifying. There was one moment right after General Dozier was assassinated in Italy I think and my outfit was put on alert for a possible terrorist threat.

At that time, I was working on the General Staff for a two star in logistics (G4). So all the junior officers were directed to carry a .45 sidearm concealed as a sort on-the-job security officer. In fact, on the occasional bomb threat against Division HQ, they evacuated the building and sent all the Second and First Lieutenants (me) back inside to search for the device! Nothing like feeling “needed.”

When I left active duty, I’d been highly trained—much more so than the average street cop and I was gonna get onto a force somewhere. I wound up as a State of Florida Probation & Parole Officer. Because of my background and academics I was assigned all the REALLY VIOLENT offenders in my office.

In fact the bosses built my caseload by getting a list of the most dangerous felon from each of the other officers in our building. Then I got written permission to carry a personal sidearm, concealed. It was “business” and I was good at it.

My life didn’t really change until I read an essay written by a retired army officer, David Grossman.

The essay? On Sheep; Wolves and Sheep Dogs. That piece of writing put my life into sharp focus. I didn’t NEED to be a sworn police officer. Because being a Sheepdog carries over into all of life, not just one corner. That essay changed me more profoundly than anything else I’ve ever read except for the Bible.

Then I got my Florida carry permit and became an NRA Instructor AND met a great gal (first date to Church, SECOND date to the shooting range!), fell in love and got married. She knew my status as armed Sheepdog from the first moment we met. Then God put it onto my heart to follow my wife into her profession.

So I became a professional educator in the public schools of Miami Dade County. The fourth largest school district in the nation. Social Studies. Here I am, after a 30 year career. During that time my experience as both an army officer and a probation officer was INVALUABLE.

I taught in some of the toughest inner city high schools in the county. Teachers we’re getting assaulted and carjacked at gun point all over the place. A math teacher I knew, gentle older black gentleman, had his jaw broken in three places because he DARED to confiscate an iPod. I was out that day, flu. But when I got back it was still in the news and the hot topic in all classes. I was asked six times if I was now “frightened” to come to work. So I had to give this response six times (one for each class taught): This was my spiel:

“Look folks, I’m too young to die and too old to accept an ass-whuppin.” So... I’m just gonna have to KILL YOU.” Jaws dropped all over the room. The kids laughed and usually one person would say: “Yup, we FIGURED you’d say something like that!”

So the credit for all of my life goes to God. HE orchestrated everything.

Retired, still married to the same gal for 32 years and very HAPPY.

I was a Democrat in college studying political science and had no experience with firearms, but I started to catch on that my party was lying to me about guns and many other things. I'm a Republican now, and they lie as well, but at least they support our god-given right to defend ourselves.
    Chaplain Scott likes this.
    "Never, no never, did Nature say one thing, and wisdom say another." – Edmund Burke

VIP Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar
    Right after my first discharge as a young Lieutenant of Armor, we moved to Oregon to go to Seminary. We had our first daughter.

We lived in Oregon's biggest Metro area. I bought a Colt Commander, got my Oregon Concealed carry license.

Then after graduation, it was back into the Army for another 24 years (total of 30 years). With all the moves, we often lived in non-permissive places.

Got my Alaska permit after a harrowing 60+ mile, high speed chase where my wife and I were the chasee ( no cell phones in those days and place).

Fast-forward to more non-permissive places.

Eventually retired and moved to Montana and opened a Counseling practice (was a licensed Therapist for 25 years as well, concurrent with the latter part of my Army career), I got my Montana permit. I had a client whose husband was soon getting out of prison and was not well pleased with the healthy changes his wife was making. (Nor was he particularly happy with anyone helping his wife). [as a separate note, this guy eventually was paroled, ended up getting shot by a Oregon State Trooper with some double 00 buck, recovered, went back to prison and later was released to hospice to die of cancer].

I've since had a couple more "interesting" situations with clients making changes and abusive husbands not happy.
    zonker1986, TSKnight and liberty1 like this.
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9

Sponsored Links