DefensiveCarry Concealed Carry Forum

Why did you start carrying?

Thread: Why did you start carrying?

Tags:

DefensiveCarry said:

Why did you start carrying?

Why did you start carrying, or what was the catalyst? Did you have an epiphany?

If so, can you tell us about it?
    Follow DefensiveCarry.com on Facebook!

5lima30ret said:
    I was required to by my "job". My ephiphany was when another cop I worked with on my squad was off-duty and witnessed an armed robbery and he wasn't able to take action due to him not carrying. (He recieved a 5 day suspension because our rules & duty manual at that time required that you carry at ALL times off duty in your jurisdiction.) note *If that had happened now he wouldn't have been suspended because the new liberal leaning Chief changed the rules.
    Retired Police Lieutenant, Former UH-1N Huey & MH-53 Pave Low Gunner, Retired USAF Reserve, Glock Armorer, AL Retired LEO CPP, NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, LEOSA Qualified, Active FOP Executive Board Member

"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil 4:13

Militant said:
    My Dad is a retired Chief of Police and one of my grandfathers (deceased) was a hunter. So, I literally grew up around guns my entire life but I never thought of owning one, or carrying one for myself for years. Then one day years ago, while visiting a friend, I "discovered" that he was a concealed carrier. I asked him about it, we talked and what he said about the 2nd Amendment and being prepared to defend ourselves and our families made tons of sense to me. He then showed me Youtube clips of Hickok45 talking about a variety of guns. I was hooked!

So, I went home and began to devour and absorbed as many videos of his and a few other notable gun channels that I could at that time for hours and hours and hours and, then I started reading a few notable gun magazines as well in order to increase my own personal knowledge about the "conceal carry lifestyle". Needless to say, that I jumped in headlong into this wonderful gun world to the degree that I've obtained way more guns than my friend, I attend the range more frequently than my friend and he tells me that my knowledge and how I think about guns has far surpassed his to the point that he now asks me about them. Wow!
    Last edited by Militant; March 14th, 2018 at 02:51 PM.
    HK USP Compact .45 stainless HK USP Compact .40 stainless HK USP Compact .45
    HK USP Compact 9mm HK 45c HK P30 HK P30sk HK VP9 HK VP9sk

Doogie said:
    Attempted carjacking in Cleveland. That did it for me.

ghost tracker said:
    Been a firearm fan since birth. On my launch date (the day I was born) my maternal Grandfather ("Daddy Mac") bought for me a lifetime NRA Membership. He did the same for ALL his male grandchildren, along with teaching all of us gun-safety, proper shooting techniques/skills across hand/long guns, providing "loaners" until we hauled enough hay & mowed enough grass to buy our own. At which time the loaner returned to him to keep until my younger cousins grew sufficiently qualified to take the next loaner home.

So my introduction to the shooting sports was generationally engraved. That eventually lead to NCAA collegiate rifle & handgun bullseye competition. I packed guns through the woods, the game bird meadows & just about...everywhere (ahhhh, the rural life).

When carrying a concealed handgun in polite society became a reality, it was a natural evolution. No different, in my mind, than ALWAYS having a sharp pocket knife tucked in my overalls.

I wish for EVERY young person (male and female) to be blessed with mature, level-headed, skilled, responsible family members who'll delight in sharing our sport. And now? The "sport" can ensure the continued personal safety OF those generations. Thanks Daddy Mac!
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

wizard7mm08 said:
    I like guns.
    "If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
    "Take off ya hoser!" - Bob & Doug McKenzie

Mike1956 said:
    A friend murdered in front of a crowd of people on a busy street, and then another one found face down in a ditch.
    "Stop being dangerous, and you become edible." William Aprill

Jaeger said:
    The first time because it was required of me. Then as a civilian I started carrying when it became legal in Missouri. I was in one of the first classes taught by one of the billís main proponents. Now Missouri is Constitutional carry, but I keep up the permit for travel.

Always carry. Never tell.
    ďOf all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." C.S. Lewis

kukla said:
    Moved from Kalifornia , where it's virtually prohibited, to Arizona, where my rights as a law abiding citizen are respected and recognized.
    "I plan ahead. That way, I don't have to do anything right now!"

Glocktard78 said:
    I've been into guns since I was a little kid, and most of my family are good ol' boys and girls who grew up around and used guns all their lives too. The main reason I actually carry one though is because this world gets nuttier with every passing day and it takes nothing anymore for someone to get offended or mad, which all too often now results in someone getting hurt. I can't control when I leave this world, but I don't intend to let anyone send me out quietly. I hate the thought of having to take a life that can't be returned, but I hate the thought of me going even more.

WebleyHunter said:
    Age 13, when our mountain neighborhood became essentially infested with mountain lions.
    Enjoying my daily viewing of the "love has no labels" SJW clickbait on DC.com.

Active Shooter Response- Assess the situation, Position yourself to gain tactical advantage, Engage perpetrator violently (APE).

When shopping at Walmart, remember that even serial killers need to buy toilet paper.

CG11 said:
    Grew up hunting and fishing; guns were a part of my life from a very early age. Required in certain jobs, just made sense later to continue. If I'm awake, I'm carrying.
    So who is this Will that everybody fires at, what did he do, and how come he's not dead yet??

ghost tracker said:
    Quote Originally Posted by WebleyHunter View Post
    Age 13, when our mountain neighborhood became essentially infested with mountain lions.
    Dang, Brother Webley! Your reason was MUCH more exciting than mine.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Gabill said:
    Grew up hunting, Marine Corps, Protection of my family and property.
    Marine Corps 75-79
    NRA
    Florida Carry
    CCW SAFE
    Colt, Sig, S&W, Browning, Remington

SouthernBoyVA said:
    Quote Originally Posted by 5lima30ret View Post
    I was required to by my "job". My ephiphany was when another cop I worked with on my squad was off-duty and witnessed an armed robbery and he wasn't able to take action due to him not carrying. (He recieved a 5 day suspension because our rules & duty manual at that time required that you carry at ALL times off duty in your jurisdiction.) note *If that had happened now he wouldn't have been suspended because the new liberal leaning Chief changed the rules.
    You have a liberal leaning chief of police in the Gulf Coast of Alabama? That's an insult to the good folks of your state. He must be a transplant.
    In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

America First!