Have you talked with your children's school about classroom security?

This is a discussion on Have you talked with your children's school about classroom security? within the Featured Topics forums, part of the Welcome To DefensiveCarry.com category; Have you talked with your children's school about classroom security? Do you know what their safety plan is? Are teachers encouraged or allowed to carry ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: Have you talked with your children's school about classroom security?

Administrator

Do you know what their safety plan is?

Are teachers encouraged or allowed to carry (in school) in your district? Would you want them to?
    Follow DefensiveCarry.com on Facebook!

VIP Member
    If I were to try to talk to my grandchildren's school about security, I can almost guarantee I would receive a visit from the PD. This is California; any questioning of the district policies gets YOU investigated. I know this because my wife worked as PD dispatch while I was working in the district. They are licensed loons. I would immediately be relieved of my carry permit just while they investigated.
    Be careful of people who brag about who they are - a lion will never have to tell you who he's a lion.

My youngest child is forty-nine and anti-guns.
    Second Amendment: The difference between politicians and rulers.
    US Navy - US Army, Retired
    NRA Benefactor Life Member

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Senior Member Array Illusive Man's Avatar
    I have a friend who is a TA in the local school district. Their plan is for the teacher to put a piece of cardboard up at the window, close and lock the door, turn off the lights and huddle quietly in the back of the room. They think that such is a good idea. :(
    A man, without force, is without the essential dignity of humanity. Human nature is so constituted, that it cannot honor a helpless man, although it can pity him; and even this it cannot do long, if the signs of power do not arise.

All middle and high schools have a deputy sheriff in them as resource officers. The elementary schools are hiring armed security guards. you have to have a concealed weapons permit to apply. My wife is a teacher at a middle school they have had a drill for an attack.
    darbo and Portcullis like this.
    Marine Corps 75-79
    NRA
    Florida Carry
    CCW SAFE
    Colt, Sig, S&W, Browning, Remington

Quote Originally Posted by CG11 View Post
    If I were to try to talk to my grandchildren's school about security, I can almost guarantee I would receive a visit from the PD. This is California; any questioning of the district policies gets YOU investigated. I know this because my wife worked as PD dispatch while I was working in the district. They are licensed loons. I would immediately be relieved of my carry permit just while they investigated.
    Exactly right CG...the "plan" for my kids school in CA is to huddle in the classroom and hope the shooter (aka...YMCA Volunteer, outstanding citizen, NOT a gang member, NEVER did any drugs, loved by everyone, was on his way to college) doesn't come in and murder all of them.

"Great plan guys!" My tax dollars hard at work. Some high schools park a black & white out front as a deterrent, some even dust it off from time to time.
    Have I not commanded you, Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go. Joshua 1:9

Yes I did and they also hire a security guard with a taser and a carry gun. Everyone is out of school area as soon as lectures are over for the day.

Unrelated to the op question, I stopped by my 10 year old sonís school early this year because they were teaching them bad things about Trump and thereís a song to ridicule him. This happened to anyone else ?

Quote Originally Posted by LimaCharlie View Post
    My youngest child is forty-nine and anti-guns.
    And you are 100% sure heís your son ?......just kidding.
    Ever man must choose his own path.

VIP Member
    Absolutely I would want the teachers to carry, but they would need to volunteer and go through special training because in their role as teachers and guardians of our children they bear more responsibility than a private individual.
    Getting old was not on my list of "things to do" in the Golden Years!

==================
    Talking to each other here is good, but taking action is better.

Our HS principal is a Hillary mini-me, the only security she believes in, is for herself. Other than the doors locked and the main doors have electric locks, there is no security plan. Well, they do have active shooter drills similar to fire drills, but that ain't much. It's a darn good thing that my youngest graduates this year or I would pull her out of public school.

Oh yeah, forgot about the silly excuse for a resource officer there, only thing he would be good for, is bringing donuts in the morning (from what I could tell anyways).
    Pistology likes this.

My youngest kid is at Temple University in North Philadelphia...........they know more about security than the IDF
    Old Sarge likes this.

I have. They are young, elementary school. There is not much they can do, but they can be taught how to make the most of a situation. The school has some legit security measures. The school in which I teach, has an armed school police officer. He even gets to have a Colt AR-15.
    Yogi223 likes this.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

Distinguished Member Array 19Kvet's Avatar
    Our district recently restated their policy on securing the entry doors and checking IDs. They don't seem to want to talk any more about security other than theirs is great.

It's not like one of the shooters didn't shoot out the glass in the secured door to make entry.

Gun Free Zones

I thought thought Federal Firearms Regulations prohibited firearms from school with the exception of the police or specifically certified to carry firearms on school property.

BTW a copy of thee
    FEDERAL FIREARMS REGULATIONS REFERENCE GUIDE 2005
    is available at
    https://www.atf.gov/file/58686/download
    The Bill of Right DO NOT grant me Rights. They simply protect Rights granted to me by God.

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

First, as a disclaimer, I am a teacher. I mention Kansas and Utah because I teach in Kansas; however, my residence is in Utah. I posted this on another forum. Here are some thoughts of mine on the topic. I sniped the non-relevant parts.

Sorry if the huge wall of quotes bothers you, it is just a collection of some if my posts and I don't have the time to retype what I have already written.

###
    It is my position that we should allow the teachers, and administrators, who are otherwise permitted to receive appropriate, and accessible, training and carry firearms if they choose to do so. The model needs to change from Kansas's "districts may allow" to Utah's "districts may not forbid." Utah also has other requirements, such as a requirement that the firearm not be visible on normal teaching activities and the like; but the point remains that, with reasonable care and appropriate licensing, teachers are permitted the choice of not being unarmed targets and the opportunity to actively defend their charges if necessary.

Of course, I realize that most states are even further from the Kansas "district may allow," legislation (as of date, to the best of my knowledge, no district does allow). Some states even make it clear that "No district may allow." There is still a lot of movement to be made.

Do I think every teacher should carry a firearm? No, some are clearly not qualified. However, in conversations, those who are clearly unqualified seem to be quick to self select and choose not to carry a firearm. In no way would I support "district may require." However, that is a long way from "District must not forbid." For those who have made it to this point and are asking, "what does this have to do with the militia?" Those teachers are the militia.

###
    Originally Posted by another teacher:
    As a teacher, I gave this some thought, but the bottom line is I would eventually get caught and a.) it's a felony - 5 yrs in the slammer, and b.)I'd lose my job. Given the extreme rarity of violence in schools that would require a firearm, I felt it not worth the risk.
    This is the same decision that I, as a teacher made. I am aware of two teachers in my building who carry; but frankly, there appears to be a greater tolerance for women who carry illegally than for men. If our district allowed it I know more who would.

###
    I teach in Kansas. Kansas allows the districts to decide if teachers can carry. However, the insurance carrier in Kansas has said, "no." As such, no teachers carry legally. By comparison, Utah addressed the situation differently. Instead of the "district may allow" as seen in Kansas, Utah passed "district may not forbid." Teachers in Utah a required to keep their firearm concealed. Incredibly enough, this has not resulted in any great catastrophe.

So, now you know another teacher who would carry if it were legal. However, I would attend a training course. There are several for teachers. That brings up a direction I would like to see the issue of teacher firearm training to go, real and appropriate firearm training for teachers. I am not asking for three days of, "don't shoot your students." I would like to see marksmanship coaching and training focused on shooting in chaotic situations.

While I see it as essential that the training be available and affordable, I would like to see those teachers also trained to the basic EMT standard. Yes, this training would eat a better part of a summer; however, it would be a direction toward a teacher first responder certification.

As you can see, I am not entirely in favor of Utah's "sure, you can carry a gun" policy. Then, I am not in favor of "no guns" either. I want to see training that is appropriate and affordable. I will tell you that my research has shown that there are teacher firearm courses available. The next step is to decide on a minimum level of training, insuring it is, as I have said several times, appropriate and affordable and to then allow those teachers to be armed.

###
    First, as I have mentioned in the past I am a teacher. With that out of the way, there are two different issues being raised. . . does the current model provide cost effective and quality education.

Increasing security in our schools. Due to the training that the teachers and students have received, the number of casualties in the Rancho Tehama incident were minimized. Certainly, no casualties is the goal; however, reduced casualties is a step in the right direction. I have been looking at the teacher and administrator firearms training provided by the Buckeye Firearms Foundation called Faculty/Administrator Safety Training and Emergency Response (F.A.S.T.E.R.). I do not have enough information about this program, at this time, to make any recommendations.

There does need to be a nationally recognized program for certifying teachers and administrators with firearms. This is largely due to the insurance carriers unwillingness to cover districts that allow teachers to make their own decisions about firearms, in states where this is allowed by law. I would like to see the schools policies change from Kansas's, "district may allow," to Utah's, "district may not forbid." However, I do recognize that some states have even further to go.
    Since I posted this, it was brought to my attention that a sheriff's department near me, in Utah, has a seven week "critical event" course for teachers. I am looking into it now

###
    This issue seems to be gaining traction. I just had a couple of non-shooting, not anti, just non, teachers ask me my position in this issue. The inquiry was unprompted and my position was taken seriously.

I think my nuanced position did surprise them as I am generally a bit to the left of most of the teachers here.

###
    To add to this a little. Not too long ago my principal became aware that I frequently do shooting on my weekends. One Sunday while I was working (at my district it is normal for teachers to be working a few hours on either Saturday or Sunday) she came to my classroom and asked "Mr [Hasaf], do you carry a gun at school?" To which I answered, "no." She then asked, "if things were to go very bad, could I rely on you being able to 'find' a gun?" I also answered, no." She was clearly disappointed by that answer.
    seeker_two likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links