If You Could Only Buy One Handgun - Page 10

If You Could Only Buy One Handgun

This is a discussion on If You Could Only Buy One Handgun within the Featured Topics forums, part of the Welcome To DefensiveCarry.com category; Originally Posted by DefensiveCarry If, for financial reasons, you could only buy ONE handgun for self-protection, which one would you buy? Why would you choose ...

Page 10 of 18 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast
Like Tree561Likes

Thread: If You Could Only Buy One Handgun

Quote Originally Posted by DefensiveCarry View Post

If, for financial reasons, you could only buy ONE handgun for self-protection, which one would you buy?

Why would you choose that one?
    You mention financial reasons, that would mean I couldn't buy something too expensive I take it? If I were to buy only one handgun for self-protection and money wasn't an issue I would go with a Nighthawk 10mm. If on the other hand my funds were very limited I would go with a Ruger Match Champion .357 Magnum. For the price of one Nighthawk you could get five Rugers.

If it comes down to only one for all around use, I'm picking the Sig P320 because of ergonomics, function AND it gives me the ability to switch out components to suit my needs. (going to bend the rules here a bit). I can swap out the slide and frame and go from a full 5" duty weapon down to a subcompact for carry.
    MMinSC likes this.

Since I'm becoming a classic,I changed my mind.
    It used to be a Colt Python .357 magnum,now it's a S&W M&P M2.0 compact 9mm.
    Life is a continues change.
    Also,life is good.
    Wavygravy likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

I'd be looking at M&P 2.0 9mm compact.
    ~~~~~
    The only common sense gun legislation was written about 229 years ago.

I carry always not because I go places trouble is likely, but because trouble has a habit of not staying in its assigned zone.

If You Could Only Buy One Handgun

Honestly, probably a j-frame like my 442. The two factors that make it my top choice are that it is ultra reliable and easy to carry.

PhaedrusIV likes this.

Senior Member Array CommonCents's Avatar
    although i just got a sig 365, id prob say an m&p compact, conceals fine with capacity, also higher HD capacity extended mags. as well as a fun 33rd mag :), seems to shoot fine, more accurate than i am, and reliable.

If You Could Only Buy One Handgun-glock-26-gen5-usa-made.jpg

Without a doubt, for me it would be a Glock 26.5 the way I have it configured. I also carry a SIG P229 and I prefer DA/SA, however, nothing beats a Glock 26 for size and weight in my opinion. I don't like uber light/small guns. The G26 shoots like a larger gun and can of course take larger Glock magazines. I have a striker control device in mine, so I can ride it like a hammer upon holstering it to make sure nothing that might get caught in the trigger is going to unintentionally fire the gun (i.e. a drawstring).

If You Could Only Buy One Handgun-scd.jpg

If You Could Only Buy One Handgun-img_0576.jpg

If You Could Only Buy One Handgun-img_0568.jpg

For those who are concerned a striker control device might make the gun less dependable, it won't. For example, it is not a point of ingress for debris. As you can see, the flashlight shows no light coming through. In other words, the tolerances are very tight. If you compare it to the addition of a new left-handed slide stop and other parts of the gun, less debri can get into the striker control device. It is essentially two slide plates in one. The second outer slide plate has a hinge. This is the one that swings out and presses against your thumb when the striker finishes cocking. The whole thing is made of stainless steel, and it does not affect trigger pull.

Probably a Taurus Model 66 .357 Magnum, I have a .45 Auto right now, but I do like a .357 revolver.

Distinguished Member Array BamaT's Avatar
    After reading through this thread and giving it a lot of thought, Iíve concluded if I could only afford one gun to defend my family and myself, it would be a Glock 43. I was tempted to say my Smith model 10-6 .357, but the Glock would be more concealable and lighter, hence easier to carry which is important to me with back issues.

I was also tempted to say my currrent EDC, a Ruger LC9s. The Ruger is more easily pocket carried in a pocket holster. However, if I were constrained to only one gun, I might also be constrained in ammo choices. The Ruger has been 100% reliable with every ammo....except one. It does not like Golden Saber ammo in any bullet weight. Currently I have a good supply of a multitude of defensive ammos that work well in the Ruger, however in the scenario in question I wouldn't want to run the risk of only being able to find Golden Sabers when I needed ammo. My G19 and my sonís G43 eat anything and everything, making the G43 a better choice if limited to one gun and most likely limited in ammo. The G43 gets the nod over the G19 because I have medium sized hands, and the 43 fits my hands better.
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kenny53 View Post
    Glock 19
    This would be my choice. I am a 1911 guy but the Glock 19 always works, never chokes, 9 mm ammo is plentiful and parts are widely available. It is easier to conceal and has higher capacity.
    ShooterGranny likes this.

Thou I have carried quite a few in past years and big fan of wheel guns but the ease of carrying 1911 canít be beat ... Dan wesson officer style is the best

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Otto Mation View Post
    This would be my choice. I am a 1911 guy but the Glock 19 always works, never chokes, 9 mm ammo is plentiful and parts are widely available. It is easier to conceal and has higher capacity.
    Yup, the Glock 19 is surely the Holy Grail of all handguns, no doubt about it, @Otto Maton
    OD* likes this.
    - testing was halted after a brief kinetic episode -

I bought a Sig P220 to replace the Browning BDA45 that I had sold yrs ago. I like the P220 in .45 and that it can be fired in single action or double action and easy to take down to clean. If i was able to buy another pistol I would like to get the Sig P227 in .45

I already got it. Ruger sp101 357 magnum 3". reliable, accurate, dependable, beautiful, easy maintenance, don't have to worry about replacing any springs (recoil or magazine). Wide selection of ammo. Easy to conceal. It will definitely outlast me. What more could you ask for ?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails If You Could Only Buy One Handgun-screenshot_20181006-165019_gallery_1546656466076.jpg  

Snub44, Kilowatt3 and forester58 like this.

Every time I see this thread come back around, I have changed my mind. There are so many good choices itís hard to go wrong with any of them.
    " Blessed is that man, who when facing death, thinks only of his front sight.Ē
    -Jeff Cooper

ď Looking around doesnít cost you anything; and itís a healthy habitĒ
    -Joe Foss

Page 10 of 18 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links