If You Could Only Buy One Handgun - Page 4

If You Could Only Buy One Handgun

This is a discussion on If You Could Only Buy One Handgun within the Featured Topics forums, part of the Welcome To DefensiveCarry.com category; Originally Posted by OldChap Glock 27 or 23 with a .357 Sig G32 stock barrel, a 40 S&W G23 stock barrel (for a bit more ...

Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 269
Like Tree561Likes

Thread: If You Could Only Buy One Handgun

  1. #46
    VIP Member Array SouthernBoyVA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    3,050
    Quote Originally Posted by OldChap View Post
    Glock 27 or 23 with a .357 Sig G32 stock barrel, a 40 S&W G23 stock barrel (for a bit more velocity with the G27), and a 9mm conversion barrel.
    I have one along with its brother the M&P 40c. Both have been treated to the Apex Tactical DCAEK installation but with them keeping the OEM factory trigger spring. Very nice setup and the 9c is my more commonly carried summer gun in a DeSantis Mini Scabbard belt holster.
    OldChap, Kilowatt3 and Wellcraft1 like this.
    In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

    America First!

  2. #47
    Senior Member
    Array Tstone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    WNC
    Posts
    716
    I'd most likely go with a CZ 75 Compact - .40 caliber.
    Kilowatt3 likes this.

  3. #48
    Distinguished Member Array MB53's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Tx
    Posts
    1,546
    Quote Originally Posted by BradXB View Post
    Glock 19 Gen 5.

    Pull the trigger and it goes BANG. 15+1 times. Every time.
    this is true!
    Love my 19-G5, sometimes wish the 19 came in a .45 cal. Would be great to have that caliber in something Glock and less bulky than the 21.
    Rock and Glock and Kilowatt3 like this.

  4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #49
    Distinguished Member Array patkelly4370's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    1,791
    Beretta PX4, full-size, 9mm.
    Already my EDC.
    Not as large as other 'full-size' handguns. 17 round capacity. Reliable, accurate. Fits my hand and I shoot it accurately.

    Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    Kilowatt3 likes this.

  6. #50
    VIP Member
    Array Kilowatt3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    SW Louisiana
    Posts
    6,147
    Quote Originally Posted by TXRocket View Post
    I guess we all have different "for financial reasons" to only have one gun for self-protection. I would sacrifice in another area to have a quality firearm to protect my family.

    I enjoy reading this thread. Very hypothetical but fun!
    If you only have one handgun, and it's a DW Valkyrie, then it's not because of "financial reasons"!

    Hey, I'm one of the biggest Dan Wesson fanbois around, but it's because of the quality of the guns vs. anything else near their price point. They're incredibly well designed, built, and finished, and some of the most reliable and accurate handguns around. Good looking, too!

    A Valkyrie will set you back about $1500, though, and for the cost of one, you and your wife/S.O. could EACH have a Glock or M&P PLUS maybe an LCP for backup. Which provides better protection for the family - Dad with a single $1500, 8-round Dan Wesson, or Mom AND Dad each with a 15- or 16-round pistol plus a backup???

    Buy a DW (or a Baer, or whatever) because you appreciate the fine quality, and consider that it's worth it - but don't try to claim that a high-dollar pistol is necessary because a $500 gun won't adequately protect the family! That's just silly.
    Regards,
    Jim
    NRA Life Member
    Charter Member (#00002) of the DC .41 LC Society - "Get Heeled! No, really!"
    He that cannot reason is a fool. He that will not is a bigot. He that dares not is a slave. - Andrew Carnegie

  7. #51
    Member Array TXRocket's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    North Texas
    Posts
    74
    Quote Originally Posted by Kilowatt3 View Post
    If you only have one handgun, and it's a DW Valkyrie, then it's not because of "financial reasons"!

    Hey, I'm one of the biggest Dan Wesson fanbois around, but it's because of the quality of the guns vs. anything else near their price point. They're incredibly well designed, built, and finished, and some of the most reliable and accurate handguns around. Good looking, too!

    A Valkyrie will set you back about $1500, though, and for the cost of one, you and your wife/S.O. could EACH have a Glock or M&P PLUS maybe an LCP for backup. Which provides better protection for the family - Dad with a single $1500, 8-round Dan Wesson, or Mom AND Dad each with a 15- or 16-round pistol plus a backup???

    Buy a DW (or a Baer, or whatever) because you appreciate the fine quality, and consider that it's worth it - but don't try to claim that a high-dollar pistol is necessary because a $500 gun won't adequately protect the family! That's just silly.
    I guess you tell others how to think on a regular basis.
    The question “which one would you buy?” I gave my answer but I do appreciate you pointing out the error in my ways O GREAT ONE!
    CG11, hkusp9f and Pocket Power like this.

  8. #52
    VIP Member
    Array Kilowatt3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    SW Louisiana
    Posts
    6,147
    Quote Originally Posted by TXRocket View Post
    I guess you tell others how to think on a regular basis.
    The question “which one would you buy?” I gave my answer but I do appreciate you pointing out the error in my ways O GREAT ONE!


    I'm sorry! I didn't realize you were so sensitive. I promise not to try & point out the folly of your argument again.

    TXRocket likes this.
    Regards,
    Jim
    NRA Life Member
    Charter Member (#00002) of the DC .41 LC Society - "Get Heeled! No, really!"
    He that cannot reason is a fool. He that will not is a bigot. He that dares not is a slave. - Andrew Carnegie

  9. #53
    Ex Member Array J-Frame's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    510
    Quote Originally Posted by SatCong View Post
    It's one I all ready have Les Bear Baer 1911 Concept VI. And I know the 45 rounds works.

    Attachment 280435
    You're right: .45 ACP ammo works.
    TXRocket and Kilowatt3 like this.

  10. #54
    VIP Member Array forester58's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Wyoming
    Posts
    3,736
    One gun for financial reasons? I guess we all answer based on our local and regional needs. If I was a city dweller I suppose a budget 9mm would fill the bill. Something like a used M&P police trade-in or a Shield or even Kel Tec type gun for under $350? The OP did say for financial reasons so a high dollar BBQ gun seems a bit contrary with the post.
    For my needs if I could not afford a quality 357,41 or 44 magnum revolver I would opt for a 10mm polymer EAA Witness for around $400 that could also be pressed to cover bear duty here if needed as well as 16 rounds on board for urban work. $200+ dollars cheaper than the G20 which would buy me a bit of ammo.
    If I could choose from what I own now it would be my 5" GP100. Concealment is not impossible but, is kind of a PITA.
    One hand gun involves a lot of compromise.
    Kilowatt3 and Rock and Glock like this.

  11. #55
    VIP Member Array SatCong's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    8,275
    Quote Originally Posted by J-Frame View Post
    The handgun Bill Wilson said couldn't be built, Springfield Armory 1911-A1 Professional .45 Auto:

    "Let’s rewind back to 1996. The FBI Hostage Rescue Team (HRT) needed a 1911. The accuracy standard was for three 10-shot groups at 25 yards fired from a Ransom Rest with a group no larger than 1.5” with Remington Golden Sabers. It was then shot 20,000 times and retested for accuracy again. To give you an idea of how extreme this was, Bill Wilson produced a fixed barrel rig to show that grouping from Golden Sabers was impossible.

    In the end, only one gun survived and met all of the FBI’s demands. The result is the most torture tested, durable, and reliable 1911s ever made. It’s called the Springfield Armory Professional 1911-A1."

    Source: https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/20...essional-1911/
    Les Bear did the same thing.
    OD*, msgt/ret and Kilowatt3 like this.
    NRA PATRON LIFE
    AzCDL Life Member
    BROWN WATER NAVY

  12. #56
    Ex Member Array J-Frame's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    510
    Hi SatCong,

    I wouldn't doubt it. While I have no knowledge of Les's craftsmanship, everything I've read about his guns has been extremely positive.
    SatCong and Kilowatt3 like this.

  13. #57
    VIP Member Array SatCong's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    8,275
    Quote Originally Posted by J-Frame View Post
    Hi SatCong,

    I wouldn't doubt it. While I have no knowledge of Les's craftsmanship, everything I've read about his guns has been extremely positive.
    One more thing, Les Bear was hired by Springfield Armory to start up their Custom Shop.
    OD*, msgt/ret, Kilowatt3 and 1 others like this.
    NRA PATRON LIFE
    AzCDL Life Member
    BROWN WATER NAVY

  14. #58
    VIP Member Array Gabill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    6,716
    Colt commander 1911 in 45. Enough said!
    OD*, Kilowatt3 and scottync like this.
    Marine Corps 75-79
    NRA
    Florida Carry
    CCW SAFE
    Colt, Sig, S&W, Browning, Remington

  15. #59
    VIP Member Array flintlock62's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Arkansas
    Posts
    4,443
    How did you get that deer to pose for that picture?

    Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    Fun thread, if excruciatingly stressful to ponder.



    I'm going to copycat you msgt/ret. The big N-Frame .357 Magnum is a top choice for a do-it-all handgun where everything from self-defense to hunting, target, range, and plinking duties are considered. Durable, reliable, accurate, and and handles the very heaviest of .357 Magnum loads like "ridin' in a Cadillac." Can shoot economical .38 Special handloads for practice and for fun. It is a six-shot "repeating" firearm (well ... some later renditions hold more rounds), even if its ammunition capacity is less than many want. Thing is, a person can positively influence a great many personal defense scenarios with a powerful 6-shot revolver.

    The .357 Magnum cartridge doesn't see a lot of regular use around here and my old favorite side arm is a Smith & Wesson Model 10 .38 Special, but if compelled to have only a single handgun, the N-Frame Smith & Wesson .357 Magnum would be the choice. Boy, how I'd mourn the loss of the 1911 guns though!

    Now, which barrel length to choose from out of the two on hand.

    6-inch ...


    ... or the 3 1/2-inch I've been playing around with for a few years now.


    The 3 1/2-inch is so tempting to consider, but that 6-inch can be a deer-gittin' daddy.


    Pork snacks. Taken by my favorite huntin' cousin's son season before last on a weekend we were all hunting together. In this instance he got a two-fer with his 6-inch K-frame Smith & Wesson Model 19 .357 Magnum. The 6-inch barrel does gen up some impressive performance in the game fields, a consideration for someone in my neck of the woods.
    OD*, msgt/ret, Kilowatt3 and 2 others like this.
    NRA lifetime member

    Flint

  16. #60
    Senior Moderator
    Array bmcgilvray's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    17,871
    Rested the Model 27 on the window frame of the ground blind and took aim at the largest of three does which was standing some 39 steps out, placing the sights on the right front shoulder as she stood at an angle so that the bullet would pierce her heart as it traversed her to exit near the back of the left rib cage. In the event, the heart was hit and she was collapsed on the ground before the gun completed recoiling. The load was a 158 grain Sierra JHP over a stiff charge of 2400 that clocks a little over 1400 fps from the 6 inch barrel.

    Could have shot another of the three does earlier that afternoon as she wandered over and looked right at me at no more than 10 yards. She was the smallest though so I just let them all wander off. They returned perhaps 45 minutes later but never got so close so I took the longest shot I've ever taken at a deer with a handgun.
    OD*, msgt/ret, SatCong and 1 others like this.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

    Freedom and responsibility appear to have been no more than an experimental blip in human history.”

Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Search tags for this page

bodyguard 380 torture test

,

if i could have only one handgun

,

if i would have only one handgun which

,

if only one hand gun

,

if only one pistol

,

if you can only buy one handgun

,

if you could only have one handgun what would it be?

,

if you had to own one handgun

,

only one handgun

,

only one handgun for everything

,

only one handgun what would it be

,

s&w bodyguard .380 unpacking and removing stickers

Click on a term to search for related topics.