If You Could Only Buy One Handgun

This is a discussion on If You Could Only Buy One Handgun within the Featured Topics forums, part of the Welcome To DefensiveCarry.com category; If, for financial reasons, you could only buy ONE handgun for self-protection, which one would you buy? Why would you choose that one?...

Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast
Like Tree480Likes

Thread: If You Could Only Buy One Handgun

Administrator

If, for financial reasons, you could only buy ONE handgun for self-protection, which one would you buy?

Why would you choose that one?
    Follow DefensiveCarry.com on Facebook!

Sig 229 legion or P7M13
    “Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.” H.L. Mencken
    "Vous ne les laisserez pas passer, mes camarades"
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

Dan Wesson commander 45. (Valkyrie)

Fit for me is excellent, great reliability, very accurate, easy to carry.
    Nine 230 grain 45 defense rounds is good enough for me!

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Senior Member Array Stirling XD's Avatar
    I can't say that I'm familiar with every gun out there, but I did take a closer look at the FN 509 Tactical. It looked like a well designed and thought out pistol. It's based on FN's submission to the US Army. It has a high capacity (10, 17 & 24 round magazines), it's setup to mount multiple red-dot sights, has a threaded barrel and suppressor height sights. But it's not cheap. And if I needed a gun that was cheaper than that, I would probably go with Glock 19.
    Has anyone tried turning the country off and then back on again?

S&W Mod 69.

44 SPL and 44 Mag can handle just about every application I would need in a pistol.

Glock 19

Senior Member Array riverrambler's Avatar
    It would be a S&W 586 4" 357mag. Its an extremely versatile cartridge and very accurate and dependable gun. It conceals good enough for me. It would also be my go to gun for the woods and mountains. My primary reason for carrying out there isn't self defense. Its to be able to feed myself in case of an injury or some other mishap. With 38's I can take grouse and rabbits and with 357 mag I'm confident that I could take a deer if I had too.
    I didn't attend his funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it.
    Mark Twain

Gen 4 Glock 26 w/ several G-19 mags.
    Rock and Glock and Kilowatt3 like this.
    Retired Police Lieutenant, Former UH-1N Huey & MH-53 Pave Low Gunner, Retired USAF Reserve, Glock Armorer, AL Retired LEO CPP, NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, LEOSA Qualified, Active FOP Executive Board Member

"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil 4:13

Hard decision, but if nailed to the wall on this I would probably go with the Glock 19 in its gen3 or gen4 configuration.
    In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

America First!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TXRocket View Post
    Dan Wesson commander 45. (Valkyrie)

Fit for me is excellent, great reliability, very accurate, easy to carry.
    Nine 230 grain 45 defense rounds is good enough for me!
    Love the Valkyrie, but let's face it: If, for financial reasons, you could only buy ONE handgun for self-protection, it would not be a DW!
    Regards,
    Jim
    NRA Life Member
    Charter Member (#00002) of the DC .41 LC Society - "Get Heeled! No, really!"
    He that cannot reason is a fool. He that will not is a bigot. He that dares not is a slave. - Andrew Carnegie

VIP Member
    I'd look real hard at an M&P 9C. Reliable, versatile, concealable, and good capacity.
    Regards,
    Jim
    NRA Life Member
    Charter Member (#00002) of the DC .41 LC Society - "Get Heeled! No, really!"
    He that cannot reason is a fool. He that will not is a bigot. He that dares not is a slave. - Andrew Carnegie

Glock 27 or 23 with a .357 Sig G32 stock barrel, a 40 S&W G23 stock barrel (for a bit more velocity with the G27), and a 9mm conversion barrel.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits."

The handgun Bill Wilson said couldn't be built, Springfield Armory 1911-A1 Professional .45 Auto:

"Let’s rewind back to 1996. The FBI Hostage Rescue Team (HRT) needed a 1911. The accuracy standard was for three 10-shot groups at 25 yards fired from a Ransom Rest with a group no larger than 1.5” with Remington Golden Sabers. It was then shot 20,000 times and retested for accuracy again. To give you an idea of how extreme this was, Bill Wilson produced a fixed barrel rig to show that grouping from Golden Sabers was impossible.

In the end, only one gun survived and met all of the FBI’s demands. The result is the most torture tested, durable, and reliable 1911s ever made. It’s called the Springfield Armory Professional 1911-A1."

Source: https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/20...essional-1911/

For me it would be the S&W Model 27 Highway Patrolman 357Mag, the N-Frame really soaks up recoil and offers the option for loading softer shooting 38Spl.
    OldChap, RETSUPT99, OD* and 10 others like this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."
    A 9MM MAY expand to .45 but a 45ACP will never shrink to 9MM.

Although I love my 1911s, I would go with the 6" Glock G40 10mm for my one and only handgun. It has a longer sight radius which improves my accuracy. The longer barrel provides a little more velocity and energy. The 10mm can be loaded from the .38 special/9mm level to the higher levels of the .357 magnum or lower levels of the .41 magnum. The heavier bullets provide more momentum for more consistent penetration.

In the past when I only had one gun, it was a .44 magnum revolver for plinking, self-defense, and hunting.
    Second Amendment: The difference between politicians and rulers.
    US Navy - US Army, Retired
    NRA Benefactor Life Member

Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links