Need info on Indiana Pistol registration

This is a discussion on Need info on Indiana Pistol registration within the FFL Dealer Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; My son moved to Indiana. What, if anything does he need to do, to possess two pistols there? Used to live in Michigan. I have ...

Like Tree18Likes
  • 5 Post By OD*
  • 1 Post By oneshot
  • 1 Post By airslot
  • 2 Post By 1942bull
  • 2 Post By OD*
  • 2 Post By Swedishsteel
  • 3 Post By RETSUPT99
  • 2 Post By flintlock62

Thread: Need info on Indiana Pistol registration

My son moved to Indiana. What, if anything does he need to do, to possess two pistols there? Used to live in Michigan.

I have looked at Indiana information, and all I can find is this regarding registration,,,

35-47-3-3. Firearms required to be registered – Return to rightful owner – Delivery to law enforcement agency.(a) This section applies to firearms that are required to be registered in the National Firearms Registration and TransferRecord.(b) Firearms shall be returned to the rightful owner at once following final disposition of the cause, if such return has notalready occurred under the terms of IC 35-33-5, and if such owner remains lawfully entitled to possess such firearmsaccording to applicable United States and Indiana statutes. If rightful ownership is not known, the law enforcement agencyholding the firearm shall make a reasonable and diligent effort to ascertain the rightful ownership and cause the return ofthe firearm being held, providing the owner remains lawfully entitled to possess such firearms.(c) Firearms that are not returnable under this section shall be at once delivered to:(1) the sheriff's department of the county in which the offense occurred, unless subdivision (2) applies; or(2) the city or town police force that confiscated the firearm if:(A) a member of the city or town police force confiscated the firearm; and(B) the city or town has a population of more than 2,500 and less than 600,000;following final disposition of the cause.(f) The court may order such firearms as are not returnable destroyed, specifying the exact manner of destruction andrequiring the receiving law enforcement agency or laboratory to make due return to the ordering court the time, date,method of destruction, and disposition of the remains of the destroyed firearm.
    I would rather die with good men than hide with cowards
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans
    Don't ever think that the reason I'm peaceful is because I don't know how to be violent

M&Pc .357SIG, 2340Sigpro .357SIG

OD*
    Senior Moderator
    We don't have registration in Indiana.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow.
    End the cycle of hatred, don’t give them a tomorrow."

NRA Patron Member

SO, he doesn't need to go to the city he resides in, or the local sheriffs department and tell them he has them?
    Maybe thats why I couldn't find anything on it anywhere.
    OD* likes this.
    I would rather die with good men than hide with cowards
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans
    Don't ever think that the reason I'm peaceful is because I don't know how to be violent

M&Pc .357SIG, 2340Sigpro .357SIG

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by oneshot View Post
    My son moved to Indiana. What, if anything does he need to do, to possess two pistols there? Used to live in Michigan.

I have looked at Indiana information, and all I can find is this regarding registration,,,

35-47-3-3. Firearms required to be registered — Return to rightful owner — Delivery to law enforcement agency.(a) This section applies to firearms that are required to be registered in the National Firearms Registration and TransferRecord.(b) Firearms shall be returned to the rightful owner at once following final disposition of the cause, if such return has notalready occurred under the terms of IC 35-33-5, and if such owner remains lawfully entitled to possess such firearmsaccording to applicable United States and Indiana statutes. If rightful ownership is not known, the law enforcement agencyholding the firearm shall make a reasonable and diligent effort to ascertain the rightful ownership and cause the return ofthe firearm being held, providing the owner remains lawfully entitled to possess such firearms.(c) Firearms that are not returnable under this section shall be at once delivered to:(1) the sheriff's department of the county in which the offense occurred, unless subdivision (2) applies; or(2) the city or town police force that confiscated the firearm if:(A) a member of the city or town police force confiscated the firearm; and(B) the city or town has a population of more than 2,500 and less than 600,000;following final disposition of the cause.(f) The court may order such firearms as are not returnable destroyed, specifying the exact manner of destruction andrequiring the receiving law enforcement agency or laboratory to make due return to the ordering court the time, date,method of destruction, and disposition of the remains of the destroyed firearm.
    NFA items only, from this.
    OD* likes this.
    MY RIGHTS DON'T END WHERE YOUR FEELINGS BEGIN

The situation will NEVER BE THE WAY YOU WANT, it WILL BE THE WAY IT IS. You must be FLEXIBLE ENOUGH TO ADAPT and just "DEAL WITH IT".

Just curious though any of the cities or counties have stricter requirements?

You can access summaries of Indiana and other state handgun laws at Handgunlaw.us.
    gasmitty and Swedishsteel like this.
    USMC 9/59 through 9/69
    Vietnam June ‘66 to February ‘68
    MOS: 4641, Combat Photographer

"There are hunters and there are victims. By your discipline, cunning, obedience and alertness, you will decide if you are a hunter or a victim." General (retired) James Mattis.

OD*
    Senior Moderator
    SO, he doesn't need to go to the city he resides in, or the local sheriffs department and tell them he has them?
    No sir, as @airslot mentioned, just NFA stuff.
    Swedishsteel and RETSUPT99 like this.

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow.

NRA Patron Member

Central Indiana (where the ice sheets stopped)
    Like many states, Indiana wisely enacted a Preemption Statute that prohibits local regulations regarding guns that conflict with or supersede state regulations. This statute eliminates the insanity that used to be very common in Illinois, for example, where Chicago had its own gun laws that were more restrictive than even the draconian Illinois state regulations. There are a few very limited exemptions to the Preemption Statute in Indiana that can be accessed on line if you are interested in the nitty-gritty.

https://lawcenter.giffords.org/local...ms-in-indiana/

The most pertinent language states:
    Preemption Statute

The Indiana General Assembly has largely removed the ability of local governments to regulate firearms. Specifically, Indiana law prohibits local governments from regulating firearms, ammunition, or firearm accessories or the “ownership, possession, carrying, transportation, registration, transfer, and storage” or “commerce in and taxation of” these items.1

In 2014, Indiana prohibited localities and law enforcement agencies from using public funds to purchase privately owned firearms via a “buyback program” if the purpose of the program is to reduce the number of civilian-owned firearms or to permit civilians to sell firearms to the government without fear of prosecution.2
    OD* and airslot like this.

Senior Moderator
    While he's at it, tell your son to grab Indiana's 'lifetime permit'.
    OD*, airslot and flintlock62 like this.
    Proverbs 27:12 says: “The prudent see danger and take refuge, but the simple keep going and suffer for it.”

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member

Not every state has communist dictator governments. Arkansas may not have THE best answer, but we’re improving! As far as I can determine, one can own as many pistols as they can afford in Indiana, and you don’t have to tell anyone or ask permission.
    OD* and 1MoreFord like this.
    NRA lifetime member

Flint

OD*
    Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by flintlock62 View Post
    Not every state has communist dictator governments. Arkansas may not have THE best answer, but we’re improving! As far as I can determine, one can own as many pistols as they can afford in Indiana, and you don’t have to tell anyone or ask permission.
    Right you are.

NRA Patron Member

Sponsored Links