Tale of a defective firearm... - Page 3

Tale of a defective firearm...

This is a discussion on Tale of a defective firearm... within the FFL Dealer Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; HotGuns, actually I do clean and lube new weapons before I take them to the range the first time, and I did it with this ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree79Likes

Thread: Tale of a defective firearm...

HotGuns, actually I do clean and lube new weapons before I take them to the range the first time, and I did it with this one. I know how to strip and clean all the operational parts. This was an unsolvable problem, even by their armorer, as admitted by their tech when I returned the gun for a refund.
    HotGuns and bmcgilvray like this.
    If something is important enough, you will find a way. If it's not, you will find an excuse.
    Every man dies, but not every man truly lives.
    If you are asked to be the hero, be the hero.

VIP Member Array ColoradoDiablo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    Nobody cleans new guns when they get them. Sometimes just using a good gun cleaning aerosol will take care of a lot of problems.
    I always clean new firearms. Depending on the manufacture they have too much crap in them.
    U.S. Army, Retired (1986 to 2014)
    Life Member, Veterans of Foreign Wars

I can’t remember ever cleaning a gun before I fired it. They go from the counter to the range with a couple of boxes of ammo, and I never had any issues.

An all steel weapon like a Colt 1911 is usually fired for at least 200-300 rounds, and fired enough to get pretty hot during the session, with just a little lube added in between.

I know if they do well in this application, that I can expect them to do fine for the few rounds needed in real situation.

Same for my AR’s. Never had any issues.
    " Blessed is that man, who when facing death, thinks only of his front sight.”
    -Jeff Cooper

“ Looking around doesn’t cost you anything; and it’s a healthy habit”
    -Joe Foss

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Shootnlead View Post
    Well, I will tell people the firearms that I have had problems with...RUGER and TAURUS!

3 of last 5 RUGER revolvers and 2 of 3 total TAURUS revolvers.
    Not to hijack the thread, but can you tell me what issues you had with your Rugers and which models?
    "Once that bell rings, you're on your own. It's just you and the other guy.” - Joe Lewis

“I’m not obsessive about cleaning my guns. I like them like my martinis and my women....a ‘little’ dirty.....”

A GROUCHY German is a Sour Kraut....

Quote Originally Posted by 1MoreFord View Post
    I went back and double checked. The OP stated it was a rifle. Never heard of a rifle requiring a break in period.
    I don’t see where he says rifle?
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

Distinguished Member Array CAS_Shooter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    I can’t remember ever cleaning a gun before I fired it. They go from the counter to the range with a couple of boxes of ammo, and I never had any issues.
    That describes be as well.

Taurus
    Springfield
    S&W
    Ruger
    Kimber
    Walther
    CZ
    NAA

Several models of some of them and a few I can't recall. From box to range with standard cleaning intermittently as I shoot. I just never really had any issues with shooting out of the box. I have had problem guns, but cleaning never cured them from their problems.
    G26Raven likes this.

So glad I've been fortunate with top notch customer service when I needed it.

S&W several years ago did right by me and fixed a problem with my inexpensive BG380. No hassle, they just took care of it. Same with Kel-Tec after a recall, no hassle, and a pretty quick turn around given the number of guns they were repairing at their cost.

I was really fortunate with CVA earlier this year. After hundreds of dollars spent trying to work up a load for an inline muzzleloader, the groups looked like a shotgun. They took the gun back and not only replaced it but upgraded and sent me their top end model with a lapped barrel and much tighter specs...so far I'm pleased, but haven't had time to shoot it much.

As I keep adopting more stray guns I'm increasingly using customer service as discriminator in what I buy.

Personally I think examples of poor customer service should be shared so others can be aware. If companies wish to provide their side of the story that's good too.

Once the dust settles please do share what company this was.
    PhaedrusIV and G26Raven like this.
    Ride hard, shoot straight, always speak the truth

Quote Originally Posted by graydude View Post
    So glad I've been fortunate with top notch customer service when I needed it.

S&W several years ago did right by me and fixed a problem with my inexpensive BG380. No hassle, they just took care of it. Same with Kel-Tec after a recall, no hassle, and a pretty quick turn around given the number of guns they were repairing at their cost.

I was really fortunate with CVA earlier this year. After hundreds of dollars spent trying to work up a load for an inline muzzleloader, the groups looked like a shotgun. They took the gun back and not only replaced it but upgraded and sent me their top end model with a lapped barrel and much tighter specs...so far I'm pleased, but haven't had time to shoot it much. Like I said, if you have a burning desire to know right now, PM me and I will share it privately, provided you promise to be discrete.

As I keep adopting more stray guns I'm increasingly using customer service as discriminator in what I buy.

Personally I think examples of poor customer service should be shared so others can be aware. If companies wish to provide their side of the story that's good too.

Once the dust settles please do share what company this was.
    Once I have been assured the dealer has been reimbursed, I will share that information as requested. My only other hesitancy at this point is that I do not want to see the employee of the manufacturer lose his job over his admission to me. I'm sure his boss would not be pleased with his comment. If this had been a more commonly owned firearm, my approach would probably have been different, but it does not seem to be something that many on here own.
    graydude and Rockymonster like this.
    If something is important enough, you will find a way. If it's not, you will find an excuse.

^^^ A high end niche maker should be *more* concerned about customer satisfaction than the bulk manufacturers, not less.
    G26Raven, Rockymonster and Pete63 like this.

^^^ A high end niche maker should be *more* concerned about customer satisfaction than the bulk manufacturers, not less.
    You would think that would be true, but not so in this case.
    graydude and Pete63 like this.

Maybe I'm just lucky, but I've never had to deal with any company's CS over a new gun, a used one that needed a common repair once. Things run by electrons? Not so lucky. My magnetic personality tends to destroy them.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Maybe I'm just lucky, but I've never had to deal with any company's CS over a new gun, a used one that needed a common repair once. Things run by electrons? Not so lucky. My magnetic personality tends to destroy them.
    I am the type of person who can go into a store and pick up the one box out of 100 that has a defective item. Not always, but enough to always make me concerned.

Quote Originally Posted by G26Raven View Post
    You would think that would be true, but not so in this case.
    That guy may end up tanking his own business. It's a small world, people talk, and part of going to such a shop is to get top notch support. I feel bad for the employees, but they should probably start looking for greener pastures; if he treats customers this way I'd bet he's not a great boss either.
    G26Raven and Pete63 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by G26Raven View Post
    I am the type of person who can go into a store and pick up the one box out of 100 that has a defective item. Not always, but enough to always make me concerned.
    No problem. Pick up the box you choose, set it aside, grab a different one.
    G26Raven likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

That guy may end up tanking his own business. It's a small world, people talk, and part of going to such a shop is to get top notch support. I feel bad for the employees, but they should probably start looking for greener pastures; if he treats customers this way I'd bet he's not a great boss either.
    There is even a postscript to this that happened shortly after I wrote the post that started this thread. Suffice it to say that the president contacted me after the product was returned and implied I was either a liar or an idiot. I certainly did not lie, and I may not be the brightest guy in the room, but I am not an idiot.

My wife reminded me of an important concept her father taught her years earlier when she gave him a year helping him to start their family hardware store. He made a point of telling her that if a customer returned an item, to do it cheerfully without giving them a hard time about it. As he put it, you destroy any good will you might have earned by refunding their money by subsequently making the customer feel bad. I always followed that path when I ran my publishing company. I think we had three requests for refunds in 14 years and in two out of the three cases we did not ask the customer to even return the item. The third case was a high quality reprint of a set of collectible books and if I recall we reimbursed their purchase price and original shipping.
    Last edited by G26Raven; July 21st, 2019 at 11:00 PM.
    graydude, mbschne and Pete63 like this.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sponsored Links