Dick’s Destroyed $5 Mil. Worth of ‘Assault Rifles’ to Keep Them ‘Off the Street’

Dick’s Destroyed $5 Mil. Worth of ‘Assault Rifles’ to Keep Them ‘Off the Street’

This is a discussion on Dick’s Destroyed $5 Mil. Worth of ‘Assault Rifles’ to Keep Them ‘Off the Street’ within the FFL Dealer Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I am not sure that all their shareholders will be happy about this. Dick’s Destroyed $5 Mil. Worth of ‘Assault Rifles’ to Keep Them ‘Off ...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree127Likes

Thread: Dick’s Destroyed $5 Mil. Worth of ‘Assault Rifles’ to Keep Them ‘Off the Street’

I am not sure that all their shareholders will be happy about this.

AWR HAWKINS 6 Oct 2019

Dick’s Sporting Goods CEO Ed Stack told CBS News that his company destroyed $5 million worth of “assault-style rifles” to keep them out of private hands.

Dick’s announced a halt to “assault-style rifles” two weeks after the February 14, 2018, Parkland high school shooting.

On April 17, 2018, Breitbart News reported that Dick’s was destroying its “assault-style rifle” inventory, rather than returning the firearms to their manufacturers. Fox News quoted a spokesperson from Dick’s saying, “We are in the process of destroying all firearms and accessories that are no longer for sale as a result of our February 28th policy change. We are destroying the firearms in accordance with federal guidelines and regulations.”

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2...m-off-street/#
    baren, OldChap, msgt/ret and 1 others like this.
    "Don't drive your truck when you're all jacked up..." Gretchen Wilson
    2% of the U.S. population thinks the Cold War was caused by climate change

Distinguished Member Array Shootnlead's Avatar
    They destroyed more dollars than that in stock prices.
    Last edited by Shootnlead; October 7th, 2019 at 01:11 AM.
    “The everyday man who holsters a handgun for come-what-may eventualities cannot improve on a .44 Special revolver.” Skeeter Skelton

Senior Member Array DownInTheDark's Avatar
    Next news story: Dick's Sporting Goods removes urinals from their stores.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by DownInTheDark View Post
    Next news story: Dick's Sporting Goods removes urinals from their stores.
    So, there's no urinals for Dick's, eh?

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

More from the article:

During his October 6, CBS News appearance, CEO Ed Stack said the company ended up destroying $5 million worth of “assault-style rifles.”

Stack also admitted the Dick’s gun control stance has resulted in “a quarter of a billion [dollars]” in loses. But Stack does not regret the gun control stance. Rather, he is considering taking the company even further down the gun control path.

As of right now, 100 Dick’s stores no longer sell guns of any kind. Stack is thinking about expanding that policy so that no Dick’s store sells a gun.
    Why not just close the doors and be done with it?
    baren, G26Raven, TimBob and 4 others like this.
    MY RIGHTS DON'T END WHERE YOUR FEELINGS BEGIN

The situation will NEVER BE THE WAY YOU WANT, it WILL BE THE WAY IT IS. You must be FLEXIBLE ENOUGH TO ADAPT and just "DEAL WITH IT".

VIP Member
    I wonder if they can legitimately write that off.....

Any accountants in our DC group?
    baren, G26Raven and OldChap like this.
    "Once that bell rings, you're on your own. It's just you and the other guy.” - Joe Lewis

“I’m not obsessive about cleaning my guns. I like them like my martinis and my women....a ‘little’ dirty.....”

Member: GOA, SAF

I call BS. Is there any second, third, fourth, or fifth party source that will verify that Dick's actually did destroy said weapons?

I will not click on a Breitbart link. And no, I will not apologize for not doing so, either.
    CreedDryrot and mrtimm like this.

Quote Originally Posted by SWsouthpaw View Post
    I call BS. Is there any second, third, fourth, or fifth party source that will verify that Dick's actually did destroy said weapons?

I will not click on a Breitbart link. And no, I will not apologize for not doing so, either.
    I can find a lot of sources saying Dick's planned to destroy the guns and a few that reported that Dick's "is destroying" the guns, but with no specifics on how they were destroying them, who was handling that for them or how it was going. The only outlets I could find that reported the Dick's had actually destroyed the guns was Brietbart and the NRA. So I have my doubts they actually destroyed them. I think if they had, they would have made a big deal about it. I am sure there are brokers who could "dispose" of the guns by finding government buyers for them. $5M in inventory is a lot to throw out.
    baren, Rockymonster and OldChap like this.
    Attack Squadron 65 "Tigers", USS Eisenhower '80 - '83, peackeeping w/Iran, Libya, Lebanon and E. Europe

Dicks.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

Quote Originally Posted by SWsouthpaw View Post

Here’s a CBS link: https://www.cbsnews.com/news/corpora...ontrol-debate/

Edit to add extract from link:
    "Cowan asked, "How much did you think you were going to lose?"
    "A quarter of a billion dollars," Stack replied.
    "And how much did you actually lose?"
    "About a quarter of a billion! Pretty close."
    On top of that, the assault-style rifles he still had in stock – about $5 million worth of inventory – he turned into scrap metal.
    "I said, 'You know what? If we really think these things should be off the street, we need to destroy them,'" he said."
    Ride hard, shoot straight, always speak the truth

Senior Member Array KILTED COWBOY's Avatar
    Well "Bless their Hearts"

But they still sell AR15 airsoft guns so children can practice shooting their friends.
    https://www.dickssportinggoods.com/p...m15lghttctcsag
    We get the government we deserve.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockymonster View Post
    I wonder if they can legitimately write that off.....
    Yes, they can.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ: Buy These Stickers Here

"If we suppose them sincere, we must pity their ignorance; if insincere, we must abhor the spirit of deception which it betrays." Alexander Hamilton

It's interesting, because even those who believe civilians shouldn't own them, accept that the military and (usually) police should have them. So, instead of destroying them, they could have offered them at a deep discount to LE or military customers. Even if they're not duty-grade weapons, doubtless they'd be useful for training, parts, or gifts to allies, at the right price.

So this amounts to a very expensive advertising campaign.
    "Lots of ways to help people. Sometimes heal patients; sometimes shoot dangerous people. Either way helps."
    - Dr. Mordin Solus

VIP Member
    Clearly he is forgetting how supply and demand works. While those specific guns in the Dick's inventory might never "reach the street", there are more than enough willing suppliers to satisfy the demand for the $5M worth of destroyed guns. Net difference on the street zero. All they have done is beat their SJW chests to feel good about themselves, ******* off both customers and stock holders. I for one will never set foot in Dick's again.
    G26Raven and OldChap like this.
    "The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." Alexander Hamilton

Patron Life Member NRA
    SAF - CCRKBA
    NAGR / GOA
    TFA-LAC / Save the 2A
    Handgunlaw.us Donor

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links