There's Now No Legal Way To Buy A Gun In Washington D.C.

This is a discussion on There's Now No Legal Way To Buy A Gun In Washington D.C. within the FFL Dealer Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I am sure this will help to keep all of those anti-gun legislators safe. And, no, the owner says this has nothing to do with ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree39Likes

Thread: There's Now No Legal Way To Buy A Gun In Washington D.C.

I am sure this will help to keep all of those anti-gun legislators safe. And, no, the owner says this has nothing to do with the coronavirus.

Washington, DC — There is no legal way for anyone who lives in the nation’s capital to get a handgun now because the only federally-licensed dealer in the District of Columbia isn’t accepting any more transfers.

Charles Sykes is the only licensed firearms dealer in D.C. and has been since 2008, according to the Daily Caller.

“I’m not accepting any firearms for transfers until further notice,” Sykes confirmed.

https://defensemaven.io/bluelivesmat...blXVTHV4OIkbgQ
    Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth.
    Mike Tyson

Everyone wants to eat, but few are willing to hunt....

Deeply disturbing & I suspect they are not issuing / allowing new FFL’s if he is the only one for the past 12 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    G26Raven likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by G26Raven View Post
    I am sure this will help to keep all of those anti-gun legislators safe. And, no, the owner says this has nothing to do with the coronavirus.

Washington, DC – There is no legal way for anyone who lives in the nation’s capital to get a handgun now because the only federally-licensed dealer in the District of Columbia isn’t accepting any more transfers.

Charles Sykes is the only licensed firearms dealer in D.C. and has been since 2008, according to the Daily Caller.

“I’m not accepting any firearms for transfers until further notice,” Sykes confirmed.

https://defensemaven.io/bluelivesmat...blXVTHV4OIkbgQ
    Sykes is not the only licensed firearms dealer in DC, he is just the only one who does retail business. There are actually six:
    • Sykes, whose office is leased from the city and is in the same building as the police headquarters. Sykes started doing transfers for DC security companies before the laws allowed civilian sales. He does not get a lot of business and only works part time, by appointment.
    • Two theater companies that use their FFL to get prop guns
    • The ATF. Yes, they have to have their own license!
    • The Gun Violence Policy Center, an anti-gun group who uses the FFL for research.
    • K S Supply which is owned by Harry Heng, who works out of his apartment. He's a jobber, who just does transfer paperwork. He never actually handles the guns.

The point is that it is possible for others to get FFLs in DC. And DC itself has no control over issuing FFLs. The problem seems to be DC zoning. You could get an FFL in DC easy enough, you just could not get zoning to actually start such a business. I read a post on another forum from a guy who pursued it after the laws changed and that was what he ran into.
    Attack Squadron 65 "Tigers", USS Eisenhower '80 - '83, peackeeping w/Iran, Libya, Lebanon and E. Europe

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by jmf552 View Post
    Sykes is not the only licensed firearms dealer in DC, he is just the only one who does retail business. There are actually six:
    • Sykes, whose office is leased from the city and is in the same building as the police headquarters. Sykes started doing transfers for DC security companies before the laws allowed civilian sales. He does not get a lot of business and only works part time, by appointment.
    • Two theater companies that use their FFL to get prop guns
    • The ATF. Yes, they have to have their own license!
    • The Gun Violence Policy Center, an anti-gun group who uses the FFL for research.
    • K S Supply which is owned by Harry Heng, who works out of his apartment. He's a jobber, who just does transfer paperwork. He never actually handles the guns.

The point is that it is possible for others to get FFLs in DC. And DC itself has no control over issuing FFLs. The problem seems to be DC zoning. You could get an FFL in DC easy enough, you just could not get zoning to actually start such a business. I read a post on another forum from a guy who pursued it after the laws changed and that was what he ran into.
    Your post is a moot point as far as the public is concerned. The general public can't go through any of these venues to buy a firearm. The article is correct, but their wording could be better. There is no legal way for a civilian to get a gun in DC at this time and certainly for the foreseeable future.
    Nmuskier, airslot and simonp67 like this.
    Mike Tyson

Senior Member Array retired badge 1's Avatar
    And yet all the career criminals, gang bangers, and illegals seem to have all the guns they want, anytime they want them.

Go figure. Could it have anything to do with law-abiding people complying with the law and criminals ignoring the law?

Quote Originally Posted by retired badge 1 View Post
    And yet all the career criminals, gang bangers, and illegals seem to have all the guns they want, anytime they want them.

Go figure. Could it have anything to do with law-abiding people complying with the law and criminals ignoring the law?
    Exactly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    G26Raven likes this.

The City of San Francisco did the same thing. Their last gun shop closed several years back and they use zoning laws to prevent any others from doing business there. Residents of SF are not prevented from going to the next town to buy their guns. But how does that work in a district? It's not a state.
    G26Raven, simonp67 and airslot like this.

Quote Originally Posted by dangerranger View Post
    The City of San Francisco did the same thing. Their last gun shop closed several years back and they use zoning laws to prevent any others from doing business there. Residents of SF are not prevented from going to the next town to buy their guns. But how does that work in a district? It's not a state.
    I am wondering the same thing.
    Mike Tyson

Quote Originally Posted by G26Raven View Post
    I am wondering the same thing.
    IMO, it (Crossing over the river to VA) would be the same as your LGS trying to sell a handgun to someone from out of state--no can do.
    G26Raven, Bad Bob and airslot like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

VIP Member
    Why does anyone need a gun in DC?
    You have the whole federal government there, don’t y’all feel safe?

DC is an unknown to me. But I don't think any city could zone an otherwise legal business out . They can confine them to areas they may not want to do business in. They can pass laws that you can't be within so many feet of a school, church, etc... But they would have to show that you have other options. DR

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KILTED COWBOY View Post
    Why does anyone LIVE in DC?
    FIFY
    KILTED COWBOY likes this.
    "Stop being dangerous, and you become edible." William Aprill

"Verily, I have often laughed at the weaklings who thought themselves good because they had no claws.”― Friedrich Nietzsche

I can legally get a gun here from a multitude of FFL's. My CCL meets all the requirements for a NICS check.
    Check out the CR-12 - wilkinsontactical.com

Quote Originally Posted by KILTED COWBOY View Post
    Why does anyone need a gun in DC?
    There are a lot of guns in DC. I used to fly in and out of DC alot, with a gun.
    airslot and G26Raven like this.
    Check out the CR-12 - wilkinsontactical.com

Anyone who really wants a gun can get a gun.
    msgt/ret, G26Raven and Bad Bob like this.
    " Blessed is that man, who when facing death, thinks only of his front sight.”
    -Jeff Cooper

“ Looking around doesn’t cost you anything; and it’s a healthy habit”
    -Joe Foss

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links