Just a Comment

Just a Comment

This is a discussion on Just a Comment within the Forum News, Feedback, Problems & Comments forums, part of the DefensiveCarry.com Forum Office category; I know a forbidden area on the forum is religion - BUT... It sure would be nice if there was one central place for members ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree80Likes

Thread: Just a Comment

Just a Comment

I know a forbidden area on the forum is religion - BUT...

It sure would be nice if there was one central place for members to post the need for thoughts and prayers. Many forums have such a place, and it seems to not cause any problems and meets a need - only have to look in one place to see who is sick, hurt, facing surgery etc.

Anyway, just a thought.

Pete
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits."

Administrator
    Isn't this where those threads are added now?
    https://www.defensivecarry.com/forum/bob-terrys-place/
    Follow DefensiveCarry.com on Facebook!

Senior Moderator
    It is...
    Proverbs 27:12 says: ďThe prudent see danger and take refuge, but the simple keep going and suffer for it.Ē

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

That is true...sort of. But how would someone other than an admin or mod know that?

This forum is dedicated to the memory of Bob Ford (acparmed) and Terry Crouch (Captain Crunch), both past Senior Moderators, and is a place for our forum members to build upon a sense of "community". Appropriate posts here are more personal in nature that really don't "fit" in the other forums, including the "Off Topic & Humor Discussions". Feel free to post announcements, births, deaths, marriages, stories and other personal human interest topics. Anything "off topic", including concealed carry topics will be moved to the appropriate forum or removed.
    My thought was that it might deserve a little spot where only those kinds of requests get posted.
    johndp1911 and Grizzly2 like this.

Lead Moderator
    This Part:
    Feel free to post announcements, births, deaths, marriages, stories and other personal human interest topics. Anything "off topic", including concealed carry topics will be moved to the appropriate forum or removed.
    However discussions about religion is Not what this is about.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Obviously, but I wanted to make it very clear that it isn't. I suspect though that most people differentiate between "births, deaths, marriages, stories and other personal human interest topics" and prayer requests. And with all due respect, the list you posted above does not mention that at all - nor does it mention sickness, surgery, family issues and the myriad of things many people list as subjects which bring requests for prayer.

I have no problem either way you go with this. I would ask that you consider two things. First, look at other forums that have a place for ONLY those kind of requests. Here is one.

https://texaschlforum.com/viewforum.php?f=43

And secondly, before you just dismiss it, consider asking the members what they think. This is a great community. My only reason for posting this is because sometimes this subject pops up in ordinary threads. That makes it hard to track.

Pete
    johndp1911, Grizzly2 and Sister like this.

While I understand the need to simplify choices in life and on forums the addition of more layers of data reaches a point when simplifying choices results in complicating choices. Too much information can be as bad as too little. On more that one occasion wantingnto start a thread I have had to review the content specs of the list of forums available. It takes a minute or two, but that time is worth it because my thread will end up where people will expect it to be. No changes necessary today,
    USMC 9/59 through 9/69
    Vietnam June Ď66 to February Ď68
    MOS: 4641, Combat Photographer

"There are hunters and there are victims. By your discipline, cunning, obedience and alertness, you will decide if you are a hunter or a victim." General (retired) James Mattis.

@1942bull Take a look at the site I posted the forum example from and tell me how complicated it is.

https://texaschlforum.com/

Quote Originally Posted by OldChap View Post
    @1942bull Take a look at the site I posted the forum example from and tell me how complicated it is.

https://texaschlforum.com/
    You made provided a good example to support your opinion. However, as I looked at it I could see that it, like any forum, would require learning the lay of the land. Was the TS forum a better map? I think so, but have to learn to read the map I have.

Many do not realize the level,of work required to make what seems like a simple change. I pro bonocreated and maintain website for a non profit hat I have been a trustee of for ten years. Ancursory look at that website would,lead one to believe it is simple because it has eight links in the main navigation bar. However those links lead to,pages that link to other pages and so on. A seemingly simple change in layout can mean updating dozens or more of links. The site has over 500 internal links. Changing the name and location of a topic could mean resetting a hundred links.

So while I agree with your goals I can understand any reluctance to make adjustments unless they are critical to function.
    OldChap likes this.
    USMC 9/59 through 9/69
    Vietnam June Ď66 to February Ď68
    MOS: 4641, Combat Photographer

"There are hunters and there are victims. By your discipline, cunning, obedience and alertness, you will decide if you are a hunter or a victim." General (retired) James Mattis.

Why not add to Bob and Terryís place that itís allowed to ask for thoughts and prayers. Iím on the M14Forun and thatís one of the things youíll see on there. Someone will pop up and say they need prayers sometimes they will say why other times they wonít. They are always extremely respectful threads were everyone simply posts a prayers inbound or Get well soon. The only other things youíll see are updates with thank you guys as an update so and so is doing better and in recovery or surgery went well

I also believe it should be clearly marked and easy to find. I understand mixing it in with other topics, but I believe it should stand alone.

This forum has a nice personal side to it and prayers for those in need adds to the personal touch many feel here.
    Sister, OldChap, Pete63 and 2 others like this.
    MACV Advisory Team 75, HQ'd in My Tho at the "Seminary", 1967-1969

I am not a religious person, at all. But I have to say, watching this atheist society, try to take religion, or even the mention of God out of the Schools upsets me. "In God, we Trust" is on our money even!
    OldChap, Sister, hotShot and 1 others like this.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunnie View Post
    Why not add to Bob and Terryís place that itís allowed to ask for thoughts and prayers. Iím on the M14Forun and thatís one of the things youíll see on there. Someone will pop up and say they need prayers sometimes they will say why other times they wonít. They are always extremely respectful threads were everyone simply posts a prayers inbound or Get well soon. The only other things youíll see are updates with thank you guys as an update so and so is doing better and in recovery or surgery went well
    Let me look at this possibility.
    Follow DefensiveCarry.com on Facebook!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OldChap View Post
    Obviously, but I wanted to make it very clear that it isn't. I suspect though that most people differentiate between "births, deaths, marriages, stories and other personal human interest topics" and prayer requests. And with all due respect, the list you posted above does not mention that at all - nor does it mention sickness, surgery, family issues and the myriad of things many people list as subjects which bring requests for prayer.

I have no problem either way you go with this. I would ask that you consider two things. First, look at other forums that have a place for ONLY those kind of requests. Here is one.

https://texaschlforum.com/viewforum.php?f=43

And secondly, before you just dismiss it, consider asking the members what they think. This is a great community. My only reason for posting this is because sometimes this subject pops up in ordinary threads. That makes it hard to track.

Pete
    I think they can change the description of Bob's and Terry's Place to include that which you are requesting. A special "thoughts and prayers only" sub-forum does, in and of itself, adopt strictly-religious overtones.
    Sister and OldChap like this.
    "Stop being dangerous, and you become edible." William Aprill

Iím with OldChap on this (if we get a vote?).

I LIKE to pray for people, and sometimes Iím not sure where that line is drawn and wonder if others are too? Itís not as cut and dry as some seem to make it out to be IMHO. A section like OldChap is mentioning would be appreciated and make it EASIER for those of us that do wish to pray for others can - and it would help the atheist in that they donít have to view what they donít believe exists (anyone else see the humor in that 😉)

Everybody Happy Happy Happy!
    OldChap likes this.
    Trust God.

What would happen if you put the same amount of trust in God that you do in the brakes on what your driving on the highways?

Think about it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links