Anybody get anything good that's firearm related today? - Page 282

Anybody get anything good that's firearm related today?

This is a discussion on Anybody get anything good that's firearm related today? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; 1800 mini-mags and 1k bulk 9mm fmj....

Page 282 of 296 FirstFirst ... 182 232 272 278 279 280 281 282 283 284 285 286 292 ... LastLast
Results 4,216 to 4,230 of 4439
Like Tree9186Likes

Thread: Anybody get anything good that's firearm related today?

1800 mini-mags and 1k bulk 9mm fmj.
    MY RIGHTS DON'T END WHERE YOUR FEELINGS BEGIN

The situation will NEVER BE THE WAY YOU WANT, it WILL BE THE WAY IT IS. You must be FLEXIBLE ENOUGH TO ADAPT and just "DEAL WITH IT".

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sister View Post
    Sweet! Congrats, sounds like you have a nice pony stock happening! 😃

Tell me about the Cobras, we saw some in the pawn shop a few days ago at around $700-$800, they were 3”. Didn’t hold it as they seemed to busy but did like the look.
    Mine are both in .38 with 2" barrels. The blued one was mine. The nickel one was my dad's which I inherited when he passed in 2000. Wikipedia gives a brief, but good overview of the Cobra line. I've never actually seen any that weren't in 2". If there are some in the pawn shop in really good condition, the prices are reasonable. A foray over to the completed auctions on Gunbroker will give a pretty good idea of what price ranges in various configurations and conditions are going for.

Anybody get anything good that's firearm related today?-d6ecbtt.jpg
    OD*, scottync, G-man* and 4 others like this.
    "The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." Alexander Hamilton

Patron Life Member NRA
    SAF - CCRKBA
    NAGR / GOA
    TFA-LAC / Save the 2A
    Handgunlaw.us Donor

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sister View Post
    Sweet! Congrats, sounds like you have a nice pony stock happening! 😃

Tell me about the Cobras, we saw some in the pawn shop a few days ago at around $700-$800, they were 3”. Didn’t hold it as they seemed to busy but did like the look.
    The 3" Cobras are pretty rare! If I could get one in nice condition for $700, I believe I'd go for it.

A Cobra (original) is on my wish list - a 3" would be gravy!
    OD*, spclopr8tr, airslot and 2 others like this.
    Regards,
    Jim
    NRA Life Member
    Charter Member (#00002) of the DC .41 LC Society - "Get Heeled! No, really!"
    He that cannot reason is a fool. He that will not is a bigot. He that dares not is a slave. - Andrew Carnegie

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

VIP Member

.22 Impulse Buy

Last week, I stumbled across an auction for a 70's-vintage Iver Johnson Model 55. The opening bid was low, so I met it, figuring I'd be outbid in short order.

Seems there were no more bids, so I won. Took delivery this morning:

Anybody get anything good that's firearm related today?-model-55-left.jpg

Anybody get anything good that's firearm related today?-model-55-right.jpg

I took it out back this evening, but the mosquitos were so bad I only ran one cylinder through it. Sweet little shooter, though, and I got it for a song!

Love me a nice little .22 plinker!
    scottync, OD*, G-man* and 5 others like this.
    Regards,
    Jim
    NRA Life Member
    He that cannot reason is a fool. He that will not is a bigot. He that dares not is a slave. - Andrew Carnegie

Quote Originally Posted by airslot View Post
    1800 mini-mags and 1k bulk 9mm fmj.
    Go big or go home!
    airslot, OD* and gatorbait51 like this.

I ordered We are soldiers still by Hal Moore and Joe Galloway a few weeks ago. Checked the mailbox today and it was there. Looking forward to reading it. I wish I could have spent a few hours with Moore when he was alive to learn from him. What a patriot! Galloway is just as impressive in my opinion and an unsung hero. The book follows We were soldiers once... and young.
    airslot, SatCong, OD* and 2 others like this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by scottync View Post
    I ordered We are soldiers still by Hal Moore and Joe Galloway a few weeks ago. Checked the mailbox today and it was there. Looking forward to reading it. I wish I could have spent a few hours with Moore when he was alive to learn from him. What a patriot! Galloway is just as impressive in my opinion and an unsung hero. The book follows We were soldiers once... and young.
    I got to meet them following a presentation they gave at USSOCOM back in the early 90s. I had already read We Were Soldiers Once… And Young, but they were able to go into much greater detail and respond to questions from the assembled warriors.
    airslot, scottync, OD* and 2 others like this.
    "The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." Alexander Hamilton

Patron Life Member NRA
    SAF - CCRKBA
    NAGR / GOA
    TFA-LAC / Save the 2A
    Handgunlaw.us Donor

Senior Moderator
    Had a couple of "accidents" at the gun show this past weekend where I did overnight security. Before show opened Saturday morning a Marlin Model 39A was gathered in. Now I've been hankering for a Marlin Model 39A for some time, but had been disciplining myself to wait until year end to get serious about acquiring one. That's why this one was "an accident."

This one dates to 1953, the year that Marlin introduced its Micro-groove rifling. The new style rifling was said to be introduced in the Model 39A in August that year. This one has old style Ballard rifling so must be one of the last so produced. I appreciate this rifle's styling features sans the gold trigger, the "Marlin Golden 39A" barrel markings with the gold leaf in the letters, and without a grip cap. This one predates the frills and is little more understated which appeals to me. It has the longer 24-inch barrel which I'll appreciate more than the 20-inch barreled 39A carbine variants.

This one's fresh out of West Texas ranching country, filthy but sound without major cosmetic issues. Only honest wear. Bore's pleasingly bright. Ought to be a good shootin' usin' gun.

Sunday morning before the show found me having a "true accident" when a dirt cheap Winchester Model 55 .22 rifle was picked up as a "real deal." Now six months ago I only knew the lever-action Winchester Model 55 as an uncommon derivative of the Winchester Model 94. The Model 55 centerfire lever-action was only produced for eight years, from 1924 to 1932. I stumbled onto an online discussion of the Winchester Model 55 as a .22 single-shot rifle and read up on it. Never dreamed I wanted one or needed one, but here at the show was an example for real cheap and then the guy knocked off a dab more. If I had ever seen one before I didn't know it.

What's more, there was a second Winchester Model 55 only six tables down the aisle from this one with a price tag more in line with the GunBroker auctions for this rifle. Who'd have thought that not one, but two of these rifles would show up at a smallish gun show? It looked worse than my find, having a thickly applied non-factory polyurethane "spray job" over the nicks and dents in its stock, but was three times the price. The Model 55 was only made from 1958 to 1961 and not that many were produced before Winchester discontinued it. After becoming familiar with it, one has to ask himself why Winchester bothered in the first place. It's one weird Winchester .22. Now they're somewhat collectible.

More later, especially on the goofy Winchester Model 55, as I have time to clean em up, shoot 'em up and write 'em up.
    airslot, OD*, msgt/ret and 2 others like this.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kilowatt3 View Post
    Last week, I stumbled across an auction for a 70's-vintage Iver Johnson Model 55. The opening bid was low, so I met it, figuring I'd be outbid in short order.

Seems there were no more bids, so I won. Took delivery this morning...
    Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    ...Sunday morning before the show found me having a "true accident" when a dirt cheap Winchester Model 55 .22 rifle was picked up as a "real deal."...
    Interesting! Seems we both picked up our Model 55 .22's on the same day!
    bmcgilvray and gatorbait51 like this.
    Regards,
    Jim
    NRA Life Member

New belt from A Better Belt was in the mailbox.
    bmcgilvray and gatorbait51 like this.

Senior Moderator
    Had to investigate that one giz5792.

A Better Belt USA

Hah Jim! So we did. You may have gotten the better deal.

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

OD*
    Senior Moderator
    Never mind, I gotta work on my reading comprehension skills.
    Last edited by OD*; October 1st, 2019 at 12:29 PM.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow.
    End the cycle of hatred, don’t give them a tomorrow."

NRA Patron Member

Senior Moderator
    Cool it is, but it's one weird design. It can only be described as a semi-automatic single-shot. How pointless is that? The market of the day must have thought so too. Another thing is that it fires from an open bolt. While Winchester may have had a point in ads that claimed it could offer a greater sustained rate of fire over a tube or box magazine repeater, if reloading was a consideration, this "fact" didn't result in people clamoring for the rifle.

https://www.google.com/search?q=winc...w=1280&bih=845

It's a very streamlined and modernistic looking rifle for the time. It's just less than meets the eye.
    Last edited by bmcgilvray; October 11th, 2019 at 09:38 AM.
    OD*, airslot and msgt/ret like this.

OD*
    Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    Cool it is, but it's one weird design. It can only be described as a semi-automatic single-shot. How pointless is that? The the market of the day must have thought so too. Another thing is that it fires from an open bolt. While Winchester may have had a point in adds that claimed could offer a greater sustained rate of fire over a tube or box magazine repeater, if reloading was a consideration, this "fact" didn't result in people clamoring for the rifle.

https://www.google.com/search?q=winc...w=1280&bih=845
    What threw me was, Winchester producing two Model 55s. Never knew about the semi-single shot 55.
    bmcgilvray likes this.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow.
    End the cycle of hatred, don’t give them a tomorrow."

NRA Patron Member

Senior Moderator
    I didn't either until I stumbled onto some blurb about them online about six months ago. Looked up a few sites, read on it and thought: "Well ... isn't that quaint," and dismissed it as not essential to my life.

My San Angelo holster pusher had this one on his table marked $125. I though to myself: "There's one of those crazy Winchester single shots." Picked it up and examined it for the knowledge of it all and put it back. We conversed about it, a neato Winchester Model 63 .22 automatic he had for $850 (a rifle I'd enjoy having), and the vintage holster market then I moved on down the aisle. Right there on the same side as his exhibit tables and only six table away was a second Winchester Model 55 .22 tagged at $295 though the stock was hideously refinished. Why the place had a veritable infestation of Winchester Model 55s!

Come the middle of the night I'm sleepily perusing GunBroker for Winchester model 55 .22s and noting that prices seem to be more in line with the second one at the gun show. Hmmm ... Might be fun to play with then market later.

So, next morning I asked Drexel if the price was firm and he said he could knock $25 off after consulting a list. Said he was selling it and several other guns for someone who'd inherited them.

See, a complete accident.
    OD*, airslot, SatCong and 2 others like this.

Sponsored Links