A little help from the experts here... - Page 3

A little help from the experts here...

This is a discussion on A little help from the experts here... within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Dry fire! You also should adjust your stance. Square up to the target. Have feet, hips, shoulders and hands symmetrical. Then practice trigger press. Originally ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Like Tree59Likes

Thread: A little help from the experts here...

Dry fire!

You also should adjust your stance. Square up to the target. Have feet, hips, shoulders and hands symmetrical. Then practice trigger press.

Quote Originally Posted by firefighterguy View Post
    You need a smooth trigger press. You shouldn't be stopping at the wall and then applying more pressure. As far as reset, just let go of the trigger during recoil. Often new shooters are taught to pin the trigger to the rear and this is a bad habit and hard to break.

Dry fire can remedy all of this. Google the wall drill. It's helped me immensely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Holding the trigger to the rear after the shot prevents slapping and flinching. It isn't a habit you want to break. When a shooter is ready to increase speed, there are timing drills that keep the fundamentals and just pick up the pace.
    Psalm 144:1

Senior Member Array firefighterguy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nmuskier View Post
    Dry fire!

You also should adjust your stance. Square up to the target. Have feet, hips, shoulders and hands symmetrical. Then practice trigger press.

Holding the trigger to the rear after the shot prevents slapping and flinching. It isn't a habit you want to break. When a shooter is ready to increase speed, there are timing drills that keep the fundamentals and just pick up the pace.
    That's one of the reasons it's taught to new shooters. They can't differentiate between slapping the trigger and an accelerated pull.

Quote Originally Posted by firefighterguy View Post
    There's so much that goes into accuracy. Trigger control is just one of them but it's really the foundation. It doesn't matter what your sight alignment or grip is if you have a crappy trigger pull. Here's the drill I mentioned pistol-training.com » Wall Drill

If you're not dry firing your honestly wasting rounds at the range. It's hard to fix an issue if your only at the range once a week, month or a few times a year. Even uspsa gms will dry fire and they sometimes have access to unlimited ammo. Heck a Chinese shooter won gold at the olympics and didn't fire a Single round for a year. He did it through dry fire.

with all honesty I really do not do enough dry fire exercises like i did when i first got the pistol
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert_S View Post
    What part of your finger are you using? I had this problem when I had too much finger on the trigger. If the shots were just down, that's flinching, but low and left usually means too much finger.
    pretty much center of pad, it feels kinda goofy with my long finger but i definitely shoot better than when i started (I used the joint of my finger just like i've always shot my shotgun)
    HMMMMM maybe that explains some of my poor shotgun and rifle shots over the years??
    “Always vote for principle, though you may vote alone, and you may cherish the sweetest reflection that your vote is never lost.”
    -John Quincy Adams

This "information super-highway" called the internet is clogged with speculation and the truth is slow to get through.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

[QUOTE=BuckJM53;4801129]pijo73 ... I applaud your openness to learn and desire to improve. In addition to some great advise already given here, I'll throw in my 2 cents in hopes that it will be beneficial in some small way. In addition to efforts to learn to pull/squeeze the trigger straight back, the two things that I have found most helpful in my personal desire to improve my shooting are as follows:

1. Dryfire Practice with a nickle - To get consistent and repeatable "small group" results on paper, I've found that it is imperative to fine tune and monitor my stance, hold, breathing, sight picture, trigger squeeze and follow through. Dryfire practice with a nickle placed behind the front sight is one of the best ways I've found to quickly ferret out any bad habits or unproductive movement that would negatively impact my accuracy. Once you are able to consistantly dry fire (20+ repetitions) without any movement of the nickle, I suspect you will see significant improvement in your groups at the range.

my slide is the width of a nickel?? I set it on top of front sight and it stays, when i pull the trigger it moves slightly when the striker releases.
    Does that point even closer to shot anticipation???

2. Aim small miss small exercises - While the silhouette targets are great for self defense/center mass practice, to really fine tune my accuracy, (at the suggestion of a friend 6+ years ago), I made ASMS exercises a part of every range session. Simply place two or three 1" shoot-n-see adhesive dots on a piece of plain paper and place it at your prefered distance for the exercise (I prefer 7 - 12 yards as they get mighty small beyond that) and shoot 3 to 10 rounds at each 1" target. I discovered very quickly that it helps improve your focus and will serve to tighten up your groups. The immediate feedback from the placement of each shoot proved very valuable to me and I still start with the exercise at each range trip. The targets below are representative of my typical result. Hope that it helps.

I am going to try this for sure
    “Always vote for principle, though you may vote alone, and you may cherish the sweetest reflection that your vote is never lost.”
    -John Quincy Adams

This "information super-highway" called the internet is clogged with speculation and the truth is slow to get through.

Quote Originally Posted by Pijo73 View Post
    .... my slide is the width of a nickel?? I set it on top of front sight and it stays, when i pull the trigger it moves slightly when the striker releases. Does that point even closer to shot anticipation???
    Pijo73 ... The goal of the exercise (with the nickle centered behind the front site is to gauge any downward motion of the muzzle (flinch/anticipation) or any movement of the muzzle to the right or left as you complete the trigger "squeeze/press/pull" (made everyone happy with that one ). If the nickle moves significantly in any direction, or falls off, it should give you a clear indication of what movement occurred. Once you get the hang of the exercise, the pistol (and nickle) should remain virtually motionless during the trigger pull.

The target your posted earlier (shots going low left) lead me to believe that your problem is a combination of flinching (anticipating the recoil which causes you to drop the muzzle slightly) and failure to pull the trigger straight back (which typically will cause a right handed shooter to pull the shot slightly to the left)
    Pijo73 likes this.
    I was taught to respect my elders! The problem is, I'm having a much harder time finding them these days .

[IMG][/IMG]
    Blue Thunder and BuckJM53 like this.
    -John Quincy Adams

It barely wobbles at striker release even sitting here
    -John Quincy Adams

[IMG][/IMG]
    -John Quincy Adams

Senior Member Array firefighterguy's Avatar
    You should balance it on the front sight of possible. I've used a dime or penny but The goal is to pull the trigger and it doesn't fall off.

Pijo73 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Pijo73 View Post
    It barely wobbles at striker release even sitting here
    Pijo73 ... If you can consistently maintain that degree of steadiness during live fire at the range (assuming proper sight alignment), it should substantially improve your groups
    Pijo73 likes this.
    I was taught to respect my elders! The problem is, I'm having a much harder time finding them these days .

todays 200 rounds.
    It was still busy but i tried to force myself to take more time per shot and i wore ear plugs under the muffs so other shooters firing didn't distract me.
    [IMG][/IMG]
    BuckJM53 likes this.
    -John Quincy Adams

Pijo73 ... Your first four targets (top row from left) demonstrate a significant improvement over the last attempt ... Well done . I would suggest going forward that you consider only loading 3-5 rounds at a time. It will serve to slow down your pace, it gives your muscles some rest and really will help you maintain focus (especially as you attempt the aim small miss small exercises). Remember, the goal is quality of groups and not quantity
    Pijo73 likes this.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Sponsored Links