Eye glasses - Page 2

Eye glasses

This is a discussion on Eye glasses within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I love my XS Big Dot Sights But i think my eyes shifted and i might switch to the Trijicon HD sights (with the bright ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree34Likes

Thread: Eye glasses

I love my XS Big Dot Sights Eye glasses-g17-xs-big-dot-.jpg But i think my eyes shifted and i might switch to the Trijicon HD sights (with the bright orange front sight)Eye glasses-hd.jpg
    Gun culture at its best is rooted in a desire to protect, and especially to protect the people we love-Rachel Lu (University of St. Thomas)

Closer bigger targets.
    There is a solution but we are not Jedi... not yet.
    Doghandler
    We have deep thinkers and stinkers in this group that could come up with a solution...
    welder516
    Buck the donkey

Quote Originally Posted by Kennydale View Post
    I love my XS Big Dot Sights
    Making the sights larger does not help with these eyesight issues. They're still not in sharp focus.

"Closer bigger targets" would help, but it's rare, in a self defense situation, that one gets to choose these things.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Distinguished Member Array GpTom's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bigger hammer View Post
    I have a similar issue in that it's difficult to find the exact place on my transitions lenses where the front sight is in sharp focus. Looking at the target is not acceptable for anything beyond "intimate distances," and less, if a precision shot is necessary. I have a green a laser sight and they're effective in most all lighting situations other than bright sunlight, but that leaves an unacceptable gap in coverage. Now I'm having a Trijicon RMR red dot sight put on the slide of my Glock 19. That will cover all lighting situations from bright sun to total darkness. I'll use a light for target ID when it's too dark too see without it.
    I found this to be the opposite-- I couldn't see the red laser dot in sunlight but the green shows up just fine.

I ordered a pair of the "Dialvision" glasses they advertise on TV. you can individually dial each lens to a different prescription, thought they might make for a good test.

Quote Originally Posted by GpTom View Post
    I found this to be the opposite-- I couldn't see the red laser dot in sunlight but the green shows up just fine.
    Can you tell us what brand/model of laser you're using?

I've done extensive testing with this, with several other shooters, both very experienced and inexperienced, using several different mounted green lasers, and discovered that with a white colored target, e.g. a white T shirt or white dress shirt, with the target in bright sunlight, separated from the background, it's extremely difficult to see. It's also difficult to see against a green shirt in the same lighting conditions. In all other lighting conditions, the green dot of the laser was easily visible. But that means in some lighting conditions, it's less effective. I don't want to give up effectiveness in any conditions. The adjustable red dot of the RMR reflex sight was much more visible since it wasn't 'washed out' by the bright sunlight.

Check this photo (from this site http://www.luckygunner.com/lounge/re...-laser-sights/) and you'll see four targets with a green laser dot on it under four different lighting conditions. On the target that's in direct sunlight, the dot is nowhere near as obvious as it is on the other targets, where the light on the target isn't as bright.

Eye glasses-laser-light-comparison-2.jpg

That author says,
    Despite the superior visibility of the green laser, if youíre practicing regularly with your handgun, a laser sight is less of an advantage during the day. Theyíre still great for firing from unconventional positions when you canít properly align your sights, but in conditions where your iron sights are clearly visible, lasers arenít quite the game changer they are in low light.
    An article on Officer.com says this,
    But green lasers also have limitations. On a bright, sunny day the green laser would have limited visibility beyond 15 yards

The Skinny On Lasers: Red or green - what?s the difference?
    I don't know what the output on the laser that I'm using is. It's a Streamlight TLR-2, HL G and the factory tells me that this is "proprietary information" (stupid, because anyone with the proper tools can measure it, but Iím not one of those guys), but more than likely it's about 5mw. I have read posts that say that 5mw is the civilian 'standard' but that the military has access to more powerful units, but can't find the citations for those comments now. Posts on AR-15.com suggests that the 5mw figure is common and that it takes about a 20mw output to be seen in bright daylight.

https://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.h...&f=20&t=530241

Apologies for the threadjack.

I found that a lower strength of reader than I normally use, is right for focusing on the sights. When I get done with a mag, I go and check the target to see what I've done.

I want some of those Foster Grant progressive readers, but haven't found any yet to try.

Im not sure if the correct term is "point shooting", or not. But, I have gotten to the point where I bring the front sight to bear initially, ... start firing on target, then while moving, continue practice, but ... sort of not worrying about the sights. Almost as if Im looking above them to the target. The target being my focus, not the sights.

I shoot very well doing this. And I was trained to be a big believer in the use of sights at all times. I hope that doesnt sound too nutsy.

Making the sights larger does not help with these eyesight issues. They're still not in sharp focus.

"Closer bigger targets" would help, but it's rare, in a self defense situation, that one gets to choose these things.
    Need to learn POINT SHOOTING
    Gun culture at its best is rooted in a desire to protect, and especially to protect the people we love-Rachel Lu (University of St. Thomas)

Distinguished Member
    I guess I look at it a little differently because I use my glasses for reading (they are progressive). I figure if I ever need to use my gun for a real life defensive situation I won't be wearing my glasses. I don't wear them when I practice. If I needed them I'm not sure how I would handle it because I know I wouldn't have them if I needed them in the middle of the night.

Distinguished Member Array GpTom's Avatar
    Can you tell us what brand/model of laser you're using?

I've done extensive testing with this, with several other shooters, both very experienced and inexperienced, using several different mounted green lasers, and discovered that with a white colored target, e.g. a white T shirt or white dress shirt, with the target in bright sunlight, separated from the background, it's extremely difficult to see. It's also difficult to see against a green shirt in the same lighting conditions. In all other lighting conditions, the green dot of the laser was easily visible. But that means in some lighting conditions, it's less effective. I don't want to give up effectiveness in any conditions. The adjustable red dot of the RMR reflex sight was much more visible since it wasn't 'washed out' by the bright sunlight.

Check this photo (from this site http://www.luckygunner.com/lounge/re...-laser-sights/) and you'll see four targets with a green laser dot on it under four different lighting conditions. On the target that's in direct sunlight, the dot is nowhere near as obvious as it is on the other targets, where the light on the target isn't as bright.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	laser-light-comparison-2.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	108.5 KB 
ID:	148929

That author says,

An article on Officer.com says this,

I don't know what the output on the laser that I'm using is. It's a Streamlight TLR-2, HL G and the factory tells me that this is "proprietary information" (stupid, because anyone with the proper tools can measure it, but I’m not one of those guys), but more than likely it's about 5mw. I have read posts that say that 5mw is the civilian 'standard' but that the military has access to more powerful units, but can't find the citations for those comments now. Posts on AR-15.com suggests that the 5mw figure is common and that it takes about a 20mw output to be seen in bright daylight.

https://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.h...&f=20&t=530241

Apologies for the threadjack.
    I have the Viridian brand green laser and it shows up just fine. I sent it back last week because the on off switch started sticking. The switch is a little push button with a rubber cover over it. The Viridian is a reactive laser that will activate when the LCP is drawn from the holster. Mine is the R5-LCP I have had mine for about a year so I don't know if they plan to charge me for repairs or not. If you own a Viridian like mine you want to have a small screw driver type T6 star driver for changing the batteries and I carry an extra set of batteries although they seem to last longer than I thought they would. A red light blinks when the batteries are low so I always change them before it dies.

VIP Member
    Adding to my post #5 about having shooting glasses made in the ONE distance prescription that is right for you. I tried progressive lenses once. I could not focus on ANYTHING AT ALL at any distance. It was sheer hell in the grocery store trying to read shelf tags and labels! I could not find the one just right tiny spot where the focus was at any distance for any thing! It didn't take long for me to go back and tell the eye doctor's office that I WANT LINES! Lines so I can see where the 3 different distances start and end on the lenses.

I had cataract surgery and refused to pay the extra $2 per eye beyond what Medicare paid and now my eyes are worse in every way than they were before the surgery.

StormRhydr's description of how he "point shoots" goes with what I said about with enough practice using the sights you will have the muscle memory to be pointing the gun where it needs to go.

We each have to do what works for us as individuals.
    BlackhawkGirl likes this.
    Getting old was not on my list of "things to do" in the Golden Years!

==================
    Talking to each other here is good, but taking action is better.

Quote Originally Posted by GpTom View Post
    I have the Viridian brand green laser and it shows up just fine.
    Both our lasers emit the maximum legal allowable power at the same color, 532 nm. So I guess it's just a difference in our perception of how visible it is. If you think that it's visible enough for your purposes, good on ya. I don't agree and so I went looking for, and found, a solution.

Try the progressive lens. I know they don't work for some. But for some of us they are god send.

I have been using them since I had to switch to multi-focal lens back in my 40s.
    slayer61 likes this.
    "Only the Sith deal in absolutes."

"My dog is smarter than your honor student."

I shoot 400+ rounds a month and do so from distances ranging from 20 feet out to 60 feet. Many consider me to be a great shooter when it comes to accuracy. I say I can always improve but am better now than the avg shooter.

I wear no line tri focal lens in my glases and they work fine.

The problem I have found, not just with shooters but with people wearing glasses with varying focal lengths is they work to see what they want. People tend to move their whole head rather than just their eyeballs. With a well made pair of glasses, a person should be able to hold their head up straight and with just using their eyeballs, see at any distance from reading something at chest level to seeing a target at 30 feet and the seeing a person 100 feet away. Move the eyes, not the head.

Now that I said that, here is the real secret. Get well made glasses and not from one of the cheaper places that advertise how low their prices are. I assure you that one can notice the difference between a $600 pair of glasses and a $49 pair. Do not get cheap with your vision.

Make sure your have an eye doctor that is a shooter and just a gun owner. The doctor should understand what a shooter needs in good vision.
    A 9mm might expand but a .45acp never shrinks.

"The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sponsored Links