Eye glasses - Page 3

Eye glasses

This is a discussion on Eye glasses within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Get larger glasses that allow for larger reading section. Another thing you could do is put the reading section on top....

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree34Likes

Thread: Eye glasses

Get larger glasses that allow for larger reading section.

Another thing you could do is put the reading section on top.
    "Lets Be Careful Out There!"

Ron

Presbyopia. That's the name of the condition that affects pretty much everyone once they hit the far side of 40. According to WebMD, it "is the loss of the eye's ability to change its focus to see objects that are near." It's natural, normal and incurable. It's pretty much why we get glasses.

I wear progressive lenses, and the worst place for my eyesight seems to be an indoor range. I can't possibly get a sight picture with both eyes open, so I'm definitely a "squinter." After a few magazines, I pretty much guess at where the sight and the target line up and pray that I hit paper. I'll never make it to IDPA matches, and no one's going to be mounting my targets as an example of pinpoint accuracy. But I have fun destroying paper, and I feel confident that I'm keeping my muscle memory in tune. So, it's the best I can ask.
    Grantspastor and Instymp like this.
    Today we need a nation of minute men; citizens who are not only prepared to take up arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as a basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom. - JFK, 1/29/1961

I just got new progressive lenses and the way my titanium wire frames have the lenses drilled in, they needed to go to the factory for replacement. To tide me over for the week or so they would be away, I got a pair of cheap backup glasses to tide me over. To keep the cost down on the backups, I opted for bifocals instead of progressives. The bifocals were much more difficult to use precisely because there is a radical difference between the reading and distance prescriptions.

Even with progressive lenses, I have a laser on all my defensive pistols. THe laser is not only an advantage for poor vision, but I find that it gives me the same tactical advantage I get with a red dot, specifically that I can focus on the target and what is around the target and not get tunnel vision focused on the front sight. One thing I learned when a laser malfunctioned is that not only do you need to practice with iron sights, but you need to train for laser or red dot malfunctions and to smoothly transition from electronic sighting aids back to irons

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

My wife had cataract surgery and we paid the extra for a Toric (sp?) lens. Now she doesn't need any correction for that eye. She's had this done when she was 65+ and can now see from that eye as well as she could as a child.
    I tried to think, but nuttin' happened! - Curley

I have a pair of shooting glasses from Winchester that have the readers on top and bottom. Great for target shooting pistol or rifle. Now I need a prescription set like that.

Ron

Senior Member Array Grantspastor's Avatar

Eye glasses

I'm an Optician. Many people including me do fine with progressive lenses, or bifocals. The most common thing we do is make glasses that focus the front sight. The target will be blurry. I've made many specialty type lenses, including bifocals on top, etc. They can get expensive. For lots of folks a pair of weak readers performs well. Pick the power that brings the front into focus

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The problem with wearing readers to shoot with is if you do not wear them all the time, you might not have them on when you get into a real life situation. It is one of the reasons I like laser sights so mutch.

Ron

Try changing the color of the sites or the sites themselves. Change in your glasses around is a good option if you just target shooting but if you're carrying if the self-defense purposes you going to have to get used to figure out a way to make it work with the glasses you wear every day. That's why I suggest changing the color of the sites or the sites themselves
    Long, Wide, Deep, and without hesitation.

Distinguished Member Array GpTom's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bigger hammer View Post
    Both our lasers emit the maximum legal allowable power at the same color, 532 nm. So I guess it's just a difference in our perception of how visible it is. If you think that it's visible enough for your purposes, good on ya. I don't agree and so I went looking for, and found, a solution.
    Sounds like you really need to try the Viridian green laser in the daytime. I think that you would be surprised at how much better you can see it than whatever you are using.

Quote Originally Posted by GpTom View Post
    Sounds like you really need to try the Viridian green laser in the daytime. I think that you would be surprised at how much better you can see it than whatever you are using.
    Right after I read your earlier post I went out and did just that. I brought along my light, a Streamlight TLR-2 HL G to directly compare them. A friend has your gun with the same laser setup.

I tested both lasers under identical conditions. Neither of us could see any difference between the two products. I could see them in all light conditions EXCEPT, as my testing revealed previously with my own laser unit, direct sunlight with light colored targets.

Perhaps your vision perceives the dot better than mine permits. If so, I'm jealous, but it's not like I can change my situation. As I aged, I developed a slight color blindness and perhaps this is part of it.

But this is where I'm at now. I can't see the dot under all conditions and needed another solution. I played with the Trijicon RMR07 (adjustable LED) for quite a while before sending it out with the slide from my gun, to have the slide machined to accept it. The red dot is MUCH MORE visible than the green dot of either laser. I went shooting with another friend who has the same RMR sight. From the bench we were ringing 8" steel at 150 yards consistently, and I could do it about 50% of the time without my glasses. Worst case scenario, I get my glasses knocked off or don't have time to put them on, I can still be accurate.

While moderately expensive, I've found my solution.

Quote Originally Posted by GpTom View Post
    All things being equal you won't be able to see one any better than the other as long as the power is at the legal limit and the frequency are the same. Higher price may get you better mounting, reliability, etc.

computer glasses.
    I use them at work and for competitive shooting which keep the front sight sharp since they are mid range focal length.
    I use Big dot sights on my carry guns since i will likely have my progressive eye glasses on and are rapid aim and shoot under stress.
    The cost of freedom is high but worth it.

May God Bless America

I shoot with progressive lenses I don't seem to have that problem.
    Marine Corps 75-79
    NRA
    Florida Carry
    CCW SAFE
    Colt, Sig, S&W, Browning, Remington

Quote Originally Posted by Gabill View Post
    I shoot with progressive lenses I don't seem to have that problem.
    You still have to lift your head up with progressive lenses to clearly see the front sight.
    The cost of freedom is high but worth it.

May God Bless America

Distinguished Member Array GpTom's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bigger hammer View Post
    Right after I read your earlier post I went out and did just that. I brought along my light, a Streamlight TLR-2 HL G to directly compare them. A friend has your gun with the same laser setup.

I tested both lasers under identical conditions. Neither of us could see any difference between the two products. I could see them in all light conditions EXCEPT, as my testing revealed previously with my own laser unit, direct sunlight with light colored targets.

Perhaps your vision perceives the dot better than mine permits. If so, I'm jealous, but it's not like I can change my situation. As I aged, I developed a slight color blindness and perhaps this is part of it.

But this is where I'm at now. I can't see the dot under all conditions and needed another solution. I played with the Trijicon RMR07 (adjustable LED) for quite a while before sending it out with the slide from my gun, to have the slide machined to accept it. The red dot is MUCH MORE visible than the green dot of either laser. I went shooting with another friend who has the same RMR sight. From the bench we were ringing 8" steel at 150 yards consistently, and I could do it about 50% of the time without my glasses. Worst case scenario, I get my glasses knocked off or don't have time to put them on, I can still be accurate.

While moderately expensive, I've found my solution.
    I see that you are talking about a red dot type sight not a red laser sight? That would be the difference in being able to see it better. I had the Crimson Trace red laser and I could never see it in daylight and I still don't think that it shows up as good as the Viridian green dot. That was one of the reasons why I gave up on the red laser, I could only depend on seeing it at night or on cloudy days. The reason that you can see the red dot sight is because the dot is inside the scope and not actually shining on the target its self right?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sponsored Links