Eye glasses - Page 4

Eye glasses

This is a discussion on Eye glasses within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by GpTom I see that you are talking about a red dot type sight not a red laser sight? Now I'm talking about ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
Like Tree34Likes

Thread: Eye glasses

Quote Originally Posted by GpTom View Post
    I see that you are talking about a red dot type sight not a red laser sight?
    Now I'm talking about the Trijicon RMR07, which is a battery−powered, red dot sight. Earlier I was talking about a green laser sight/light combination.

That would be the difference in being able to see it better. I had the Crimson Trace red laser and I could never see it in daylight and I still don't think that it shows up as good as the Viridian green dot.
    I put the Viridian green dot alongside the Streamlight TLR-2 HL G sight. The latter is a high intensity white light coupled with a green laser. They were nearly identical. In bright sunlight on light colored targets, I could not see either one of them well. In all other lighting conditions they were great.

The reason that you can see the red dot sight is because the dot is inside the scope and not actually shining on the target its self right?
    Exactly. And it's adjustable so that in bright light conditions it can be turned brighter and it low light situations it can be turned down. It can also be set so that it will read the lighting situation and adjust itself. The drawback to the last setting is that if the sight is in a dark area, say inside a building, but the target is in bright sunlight, say outside that building, the sight may not set its brightness high enough.

I have a similar problem (Old eyes).

My solution is 3 fold:

Everyday: Progressive lenses and Trijicon HDs on my CCW guns (big honking orange dot), for regular shots/close in I can deal with the fuzzy front sight post, for precision I tilt my head back till it's clear.

Range Use: Mono vision prescription shooting glasses; right lens for front sight, left lens for distance (lenses cost me about $117), but your brain has to be able to switch hit.

Nightstand gun (when I might forget glasses): SureFire X400 light/laser with a pressure switch.

Chuck
    homo homini lupus est

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck R. View Post
    I have a similar problem (Old eyes).

My solution is 3 fold:

Everyday: Progressive lenses and Trijicon HDs on my CCW guns (big honking orange dot), for regular shots/close in I can deal with the fuzzy front sight post, for precision I tilt my head back till it's clear.

Range Use: Mono vision prescription shooting glasses; right lens for front sight, left lens for distance (lenses cost me about $117), but your brain has to be able to switch hit.

Nightstand gun (when I might forget glasses): SureFire X400 light/laser with a pressure switch.

Chuck
    Chuck I wish I'd spoken to you before going through all this. My solutions are just about identical to yours, except I haven't yet settled on glasses just for the range. My vision is affected by another health issue and it's constantly changing, so I'm waiting for it to settle down before spending the money on another pair of glasses. That's probably why I have to struggle to find the right place on my glasses that will bring my front sight into sharp focus. The exact spot changes over the space of a few weeks, requiring me to hold my head differently as time passes to get to the right spot on the lens.

Regarding your "Range Use" solution - My vision has always been a bit weird. My left eye worked (up until a few years back) only for near vision. I'm left eye dominant and so that worked for shooting. My right eye worked only for far vision. My brain learned to "switch hit" long before I realize it was happening. I have already planned to get glasses just for the range.

The combination light/laser that I have allows me to select only the laser, only the light or both at once. I plan on using the last setting for target ID and targeting as well. I only keep readers by the bed.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

I have a Crossbow set from ESS with a 1.0 diopter in my strong eye which really makes the front sight pop and keeps the target blurry. It makes me more accurate at extended ranges but it does nothing to build my self defense psychology or my "around the sights" skills at conversational distances.
    There is a solution but we are not Jedi... not yet.
    Doghandler
    We have deep thinkers and stinkers in this group that could come up with a solution...
    welder516
    Buck the donkey

Decot makes great shooting glasses. And they can make a lens for your dominant eye that solves your (and mine) problem.

http://www.sportglasses.com/content/...Sight_Blur.htm

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Sponsored Links