Dry Fire Training? - Page 3

Dry Fire Training?

This is a discussion on Dry Fire Training? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by jmf552 Each to one's own, but for me, getting an idea of "how and where your trigger breaks" is not the point ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Like Tree32Likes

Thread: Dry Fire Training?

Quote Originally Posted by jmf552 View Post
    Each to one's own, but for me, getting an idea of "how and where your trigger breaks" is not the point of dry fire at all. As a former competitive shooter, for me it's...
    exactly.. I agree that the imperatives of a comp shooter is very different
    Think like a man of action - Act like a man of thought

Quote Originally Posted by dangerranger View Post
    If you are doing any kind of bulls eye shooting you will find that the consistent winners nearly all practice dry fire. It allows you to focus on the basics without the report or recoil. DR
    you are probably right.. I sometimes forget the recreational application.
    dangerranger likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Fizban View Post
    exactly.. I agree that the imperatives of a comp shooter is very different
    They are in some respects, but all kinds of shooting involve hitting the target.
    Attack Squadron 65 "Tigers", USS Eisenhower '80 - '83, peackeeping w/Iran, Libya, Lebanon and E. Europe

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by jmf552 View Post
    They are in some respects, but all kinds of shooting involve hitting the target.
    Generally speaking, different values demand different methods.. If you want to spend hours dry firing your pistol, great.. I wont try and talk you out of it. At the same time (absent the competitive arena) I would consider "hours" to be well into the realm of substantially diminished returns. That's just me

Senior Member Array firefighterguy's Avatar
    Generally speaking, different values demand different methods.. If you want to spend hours dry firing your pistol, great.. I wont try and talk you out of it. At the same time (absent the competitive arena) I would consider "hours" to be well into the realm of substantially diminished returns. That's just me
    How is it diminished returns?

Are you saying that out of experience or opinion?

I've dry fire tens of thousands of rounds. Live fire is more fun but I learn the most from dry fire. Live fire is just the application while dry fire is the practice.

Myself and most people can't afford to shoot 1000 rounds per month. But we can all afford to dry fire 10000 rounds per month. What is the disadvantage to dry fire?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not to mention most ranges don't allow you to draw. I can practice drawing standing, moving and sitting in my home. I can't do those at the range. I can't practice one handed manipulations.

It takes thousands of repetitions for an action to become automatic.

Distinguished Member Array Coconut's Avatar
    I think its reasonable to have a very good (intuitive) idea of how and where your trigger breaks. That being said, I don't think its critically necessary that you sit around dry firing your gun. If I ever need to pull the trigger, Ill pull it. I doubt I will have any recollection of what the trigger pull was like.
    If all you're prepared for is to hit the center of mass from 7 yards, shooting twice a year is enough. Most cops do that.

Personally I push myself to be the best that I can be, in any endeavor I care to do. If on a calm day I can punch the 10 ring consistently from 20 yards, I stand a good chance of hitting a moving target who shoots back, all while experiencing an adrenaline dump that makes me shake. I practice dry fire every day because it's free and it works.

If I ever use my gun chances are it would be against a criminal who has the advantage of initiative. My advantage is that I practice a lot more than him, so if we open fire at the same time my chance of scoring hits is greater than his.
    You can't have your cake and eat it too.

Dry Fire Training?

I invested in LASR for training, and it does work good for what I wanted to use it for with lots of abilities. I eventually bought the sirt training glock to go with it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by ldcarson View Post
    I invested in LASR for training, and it does work good for what I wanted to use it for with lots of abilities. I eventually bought the sirt training glock to go with it.

Did you get the plastic or metal sirt?

Quote Originally Posted by mr.stuart View Post
    iTarget - Shoot Your Gun In the House Someone mentioned this, looks like it might still be in development
    That looks very interesting. But I don't have a spare $89 right now.

Quote Originally Posted by firefighterguy View Post
    Did you get the plastic or metal sirt?

I got the metal. I am now looking at a new one that also has recoil.

Quote Originally Posted by rstickle View Post
    An easy and cheap way to to dry fire with instant feedback.

When I was on the 8th Army pistol team we used this method for trigger control a lot. The only difference was we'd put the dot on a piece of white paper and then tape the paper to any wall. And, yes it does work! (We used it with our .45 and .38 match weapons, the pencil didn't fit down the barrel of a .22.)
    Wow. I seriously had no idea that would ever work. I had no idea the firing pin could hit that hard!

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Eagle_Beak View Post
    Wow. I seriously had no idea that would ever work. I had no idea the firing pin could hit that hard!
    That and the pencil really isn't that heavy. Just make sure the pencil eraser is up against the bolt face to get the most consistent results. It really improves your game, especially if you are a "bullseye" shooter shooting 25 and 50 yard targets (one handed)!
    Truckinbutch likes this.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Quote Originally Posted by mr.stuart View Post
    iTarget - Shoot Your Gun In the House Someone mentioned this, looks like it might still be in development
    mr.stuart ... I purchased my iTargetpro during the "pre-production" stage and received it about 3 weeks ago (purchased both the 9mm & .45acp laser cartridges). After attaching the target to the "sled", setting it up on the dining room table, downloading the iTargetpro app from the Apple store, measuring off 7 yards from the target, placing my iPhone in the sled, and centering up the target picture, I loaded my SR1911 with the laser cartridge and gave it a whirl. It worked exactly as advertised and made for a very enjoyable dryfire practice session (even has sound effects ).

The setup is pictured below along with one of the targets. When you finish shooting the round count of your choice with the touch of a button it automatically downloads a picture of the completed target to your iPhone (or Android) picture folder. I give it a thumbs up

Additionally, I've integrated it into my drawing/point shooting exercises. While the actual drawing application (which will have an integral timer) and silhouette target insert are not available from the manufacturer yet, I made up my own target insert as shown below. I set the 8.5 x 11 target at the height that would cover from the bottom of the ribs to the neck on a 6' man. The target below is the result 25 single shots off of the draw with my CZ 2075 RAMI at approximately 6-7 yards (some distance variance as several draws were from angles and on the move). All shots were fired using point shooting technique.

While my goal is to keep all shots within the inner target, I had 4 flyers that were still at least "in the neighborhood" . Anyway, the big winner over the past three weeks has been my wallet and ammo supply as I have cut my live fire range time by roughly 50% .

mr.stuart and Imnobody like this.
    I was taught to respect my elders! The problem is, I'm having a much harder time finding them these days .

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Sponsored Links