Underwear check at the range yesterday!

This is a discussion on Underwear check at the range yesterday! within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; First time this ever happened. Traded my old Llama 45 for a nearly new CM9 at the local gun show last weekend and finally got ...

Like Tree24Likes
  • 5 Post By Soonerinfrisco
  • 1 Post By GraySkies
  • 3 Post By Bandit99
  • 2 Post By Shootnlead
  • 4 Post By ghost tracker
  • 2 Post By Soonerinfrisco
  • 3 Post By jumperj
  • 3 Post By Bubblehead751
  • 1 Post By Soonerinfrisco

Thread: Underwear check at the range yesterday!

First time this ever happened. Traded my old Llama 45 for a nearly new CM9 at the local gun show last weekend and finally got to hit the range yesterday and try out my new carry gun. Took it down, cleaned and lubed, very little wear at all. Ran about 40 rounds through it and was learning to dot the i when I encountered a failure to eject. Hmmm. Pulled back on the slide and ejected the brass. Unfortunately into a huge pile of empties. Noticed that the next round did not go into battery. Then did a really dumb thing. I tried to tap the slide into battery. Thankfully it did not go. You guys see where this is going right?

Ok gotta head to church and bow humbly and give thanks. Be back later...
    rcsoftexas, mb1, Gabill and 2 others like this.

Distinguished Member Array GraySkies's Avatar
    Squib?
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    The antis just don't understand the depth of love & bonding that comes with guns - redbirddog5

2nd AMENDMENT: The gateway drug to freedom addiction.

Sounds like squib, but why not just tell us before heading off to church

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Distinguished Member Array Shootnlead's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Soonerinfrisco View Post
    First time this ever happened. Traded my old Llama 45 for a nearly new CM9 at the local gun show last weekend and finally got to hit the range yesterday and try out my new carry gun. Took it down, cleaned and lubed, very little wear at all. Ran about 40 rounds through it and was learning to dot the i when I encountered a failure to eject. Hmmm. Pulled back on the slide and ejected the brass. Unfortunately into a huge pile of empties. Noticed that the next round did not go into battery. Then did a really dumb thing. I tried to tap the slide into battery. Thankfully it did not go. You guys see where this is going right?

Ok gotta head to church and bow humbly and give thanks. Be back later...
    You also had a failure to notice that there was no muzzle report or recoil from your gun.
    Last edited by Shootnlead; September 18th, 2016 at 11:42 PM.
    Ianthin and gatorbait51 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Shootnlead View Post
    You also had a failure to notice that there was no muzzle report or recoil from you gun.
    That's what I was thinkin'! Must be some MIGHTY fine earmuffs you've got there.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Quote Originally Posted by ghost tracker View Post
    That's what I was thinkin'! Must be some MIGHTY fine earmuffs you've got there.
    Yep squib. But some extenuating circumstances that I should have been aware of. I posted as this may help someone down the road, maybe someone who is newer to shooting, like me. So here are some details: The pistol only range was very busy so I was given range station #1 on the rifle range. Lighting was poor. Also right next to me was a guy with his young son shooting an AR15 pistol. The kid was leaning the pistol on the shelf and the muzzle blast was really loud and actually slightly behind me. Being closer to the concrete floor did not help as he was pushing brass into my station. So i exited and asked if there were any other lanes but there were not. So I added ear plugs under my ear muffs. This helped the blast but I still got a pretty fair concussion wave. The standard target that you get is a plain black on white double bullseye and in poor light, the hits were hard to see. After getting used to the trigger of my new gun, I was practicing 2 round quick fire (1 round per sec allowed at this range). As I squeezed the squib, the kid popped the AR. I should have immediately uncovered the trigger when I did not see the shot hit the target but I admit I was having some trouble seeing the target hits. I also admit that I did not notice a light recoil, in retrospect probably due to the timing of the AR round next to me. I racked and reacquired the target. No boom or recoil. Noticed a slight out of battery and I mean very slight. Tapped the slide and would not budge. Dropped mag, cycled and exited to take down. Got to the lobby take down area and noticed the shinny thing in the barrel. Pushed it out with a rod, had to tap it pretty good to get it to back out.

Wow. Had the slide went into battery..... well I don't really want to contemplate that as I hold way forward on this little pocket gun. I guess my learning is to be more aware of recoil, blast and that my round went downrange. Also, I will never go shoot on the rifle range again.

Any other suggestions?
    gatorbait51 and rcsoftexas like this.

If it doesn't go into battery after a round, don't tap.. There's a reason why it didn't. Find out the reason before firing another round..That's all I got.. Glad you didn't ruin your pistol or something more valuable..

Senior Member Array Bubblehead751's Avatar
    Thanks for posting this. I am one of those who is fairly new to shooting and carrying. I am going to pay much more attention for this condition. Never even heard of a squib before reading this. I'm also going to make a commitment to shoot more.
    Montani Semper Liberi

Mountaineers are Always Free!

Quote Originally Posted by jumperj View Post
    If it doesn't go into battery after a round, don't tap.. There's a reason why it didn't. Find out the reason before firing another round..That's all I got.. Glad you didn't ruin your pistol or something more valuable..
    Thanks Jumper! Yes never again. Actually I am enrolling in an advanced pistol class.
    jumperj likes this.

CM9? Glad you're okay!
    Fast is good but accurate is better.

Quote Originally Posted by Hiker1911 View Post
    CM9? Glad you're okay!
    Yep and thanks. Just an FYI, the ammo I was using was Lax Ammo 9mm 124 gr, New. I have ran about 400 rounds thru my Range Officer 9mm and have had not a single issue. Ran approx 40 rounds thru the CM9 before the squibber. Seems to shoot pretty clean and accurate and appears to look like an excellent quality product. I actually am awaiting another 1000 rounds to arrive in the next couple of days. Will definitely be using Dirty Bird targets or something similar to ensure I can see hits from now on if at all possible. If I have any more issues with Lax I will post.

https://www.laxammo.com/lax-factory-...mmo-can-detail

You are a lucky guy that bullet stopped real short in the bore . Theres several brand that are subject to occasional problems . Never heard of LAX ammo before . Comifornia ammo !! . If your buying not reloading try Georgia Arms ammo . I use there ammo for practice and carry for years but it will cost a few dollars more Used it for many years when I was still working far to many hours . Retired now so reloads only for practice for the last 8 years .

I have a cm9 for pocket carry and its been a great little pistol but it gets little carry time anymore after hand surgery . The larger kahrs like the CT or TP9 are sweet shooters . If you want a lighter trigger pull Wolff Springs has a Reduced Pressure striker spring that is reliable for several thousand rounds at least and will drop 1LB off the trigger pull . I used the ct/tp9 8 round mags as back up for carry . Glad you did not get to pull that trigger again !!

CM9, herein lies the problem. Good luck!
    "Now go ahead and say something stupid!"

Be polite, be professional but have a plan to kill everyone that you meet. General James "Mad Dog" Mattis USMC

A .380 in your pocket is better than a 45 in your truck.

Senior Member Array cjohnson44546's Avatar
    I've shot a lot of LAX reloads... thousands in various calibers... never had an issue with them.

Sponsored Links