Which Red Dot Sight? - Page 2

Which Red Dot Sight?

This is a discussion on Which Red Dot Sight? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by revldm I also have the Vortex Sparc II and I love it. Best red dot sight I have ever used. Slightly off ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Which Red Dot Sight?

Distinguished Member Array cn262's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by revldm View Post
    I also have the Vortex Sparc II and I love it. Best red dot sight I have ever used.
    Slightly off topic, but I have a Vortex Venom on a pistol and have been very surprised at the quality of the build and optics, as well as the durability (I've used it to rack the pistol off of my belt, leg and shoes many times). I bought it because it was inexpensive and expected to replace it after a few months, but after 8-9 months I'm planning on keeping it. I have an EOTech on my AR and really like it, but it does go through batteries quicker than I would prefer (even when it sits unused for several months).

Lead Moderator
    I am not aware of anything that has the battery life of the Aimpoint. Leave it on for 3 years and it still goes.

I like that.
    Universal Background Checks...the next step towards registration and confiscation.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    https://www.facebook.com/baileysigna...?ref=bookmarks

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    I am not aware of anything that has the battery life of the Aimpoint. Leave it on for 3 years and it still goes.

I like that.
    I went with the Primary Arms MD-ADS, partly for the 50,000 hour battery life. That is nearly six years.

It is not an Aimpoint, but is as close as you can come for the price.
    HotGuns likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Senior Member Array firefighterguy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by StillLearning View Post
    I went with the Primary Arms MD-ADS, partly for the 50,000 hour battery life. That is nearly six years.

It is not an Aimpoint, but is as close as you can come for the price.
    What do you mean by "as close as you can come for the price"?

Distinguished Member Array wsquared's Avatar
    Red dots are simple. Buying a red dot is even more simple. If you can afford it, either Aimpoint or Trijicon...they are the gold standard, and everyone else is a "me too".

I've got the Vortex Strikefire II back up with the Vortex 3x magnifier and love it. Don't discount the Vortex optics, you may make a big mistake.

Which Red Dot Sight?-20160219_213132-1.jpg
    "Anyone who will tear down sports will tear down America.
    Sports and Religion have made America what it is today. -- Woody Hayes"

Quote Originally Posted by firefighterguy View Post
    What do you mean by "as close as you can come for the price"?
    The MD-ADS is the only red dot I have owned, so I only know what I read on the internet. Here is the reasoning that led me to the above conclusion and this choice:

The Primary Arms MD-ADS is available from Amazon with free Prime shipping for $169.99. I paid $145 on special. It is 2MOA, which is what I wanted, and holds its zero. It is bright enough for use on a bright day, but can be dialed down enough to be night-vision compatible. Reports are that it is pretty rugged, holding up well on a wide range of rifles and shotguns.

In this price range, I have heard great things about the Vortex Sparc II, Bushnell TRS (at half the price), as well as a few others. I ruled them out based on battery life. I agree with Derekw on the value of super long battery life in a defensive rifle. The MD-ADS has much longer battery life than either. I never bother turning mine off.

My comment was in reply to HotGuns post, "I am not aware of anything that has the battery life of the Aimpoint. Leave it on for 3 years and it still goes." I do not pretend that the MD-ADS inspires the confidence of an Aimpoint. Those have seen extended use in battle conditions and earned their reputation. But they are also well more than twice the price. I picked the MD-ADS because of good reviews, 50,000 hour battery life, and a price that matched my budget.

I seem to shoot scopes better than red dots or holographic sights. I acquire my sight picture quicker and shoot tighter groups.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Sponsored Links