Possible ND? - Page 2

Possible ND?

This is a discussion on Possible ND? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by Doogie As for lowering the hammer, I have a sand bucket next to my gun safe but in 40 years have never ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree38Likes

Thread: Possible ND?

Quote Originally Posted by Doogie View Post
    As for lowering the hammer, I have a sand bucket next to my gun safe but in 40 years have never had a ND.
    Yup, I have been meaning to get a sand bucket for years myself, but since my basement floor is a plywood structural floor with a crawl space and bare dirt underneath, it has just always seemed to have gotten pushed to the bottom of the list.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hurdy1 View Post
    How likely would it be for a "decocked" 1911 with one in the chamber to go off? Just an inquiry.
    Well, you see, that round is just sitting there in the chamber of that 1911, and it KNOWS it's inside a 1911, and, it knows just how dangerous the 1911 really is !

So that round is just sitting in there, simmering, sizzling, YEARNING to ignite, just hoping to cook-off at the drop of a hat. Or, if you simply "look at it wrong."

WHY would it do this ? 'Cause "1911", that's why ! And so,when it DOES go, it'll probably rip through the mag in full auto.

After all, the design is 105 years old, and has never seen service in actual combat.
    Doogie and jumperj like this.
    - testing was halted after a brief kinetic episode -

Quote Originally Posted by Doogie View Post
    Now the CZ designs have a 1/2 cock, manual safety and are SA/DA so you can carry a round in the chamber, on half cock with the manual safety on and simply click off the safety and pull the DA trigger. Which to me is about as safe as you can get. (OK flame suit on)
    On any CZ 75B variant with a manual safety, you can NOT activate the manual safety while the hammer is on half-cock. I've never owned a CZ 75 or SP-01 that did. I've read on the CZ Forums that if you have one that does do that, then you have a problem with your gun. Some clones of the CZ 75 design can be carried at half-cock with safety on though.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by DustyBottoms View Post
    On any CZ 75B variant with a manual safety, you can NOT activate the manual safety while the hammer is on half-cock. I've never owned a CZ 75 or SP-01 that did. I've read on the CZ Forums that if you have one that does do that, then you have a problem with your gun. Some clones of the CZ 75 design can be carried at half-cock with safety on though.
    Both of my SAR CZ knock offs have a firing in block and you can set the manual safety on half cock, full cock or down. That said, SAR specifically says you should carry it either cocked and locked or with the hammer all the way down and manual safety on. I like the hammer all the way down and NOT on half cock. .

I just don't get it.. What is the purpose of having one in the chamber if it's not cocked? That's how a 1911 is designed. If you're going to adjust your firing grip in order to cock the hammer, you might as well rack the slide.. It's not a six shooter so why is your thumb even back there? Also, there's more of a chance for an ND while trying to manipulate the hammer with your thumb. Thanks but I'll keep mine cocked and locked. Easier and faster just to kick the safety off, aim and fire then cock the hammer, readjust my grip, and hope the BG is slower then me. And if it sits for a while, I don't have to wonder if it's loaded when I pick it up.. In my case, It always is.. Just my opinion...
    PhaedrusIV and druryj like this.

Longmire carries his with the hammer down...
    SmoothJazz and Instymp like this.

Quote Originally Posted by backinblack View Post
    Longmire carries his with the hammer down...
    I thought at first he had a revolver because he cocks the hammer when he draws. Then noticed it's a 1911. That got me thinking if that is or was a widely used method in the past.
    Or if it's just done on the show to look cool.
    PFranklin likes this.
    Peace, commerce and honest friendship with all nations; entangling alliances with none. ~Thomas Jefferson

Watch some of the WWII training films regarding the 1911 as its drawn from the cavalry style scabbard holster. I could be wrong, but by my reckoning the 1911 when drawn was not cocked and locked. The slide had to be racked to chamber a round just before firing. (I think?.)
    SmoothJazz likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by jumperj View Post
    I just don't get it.. What is the purpose of having one in the chamber if it's not cocked?
    Ask Sheriff Andy..............

Quote Originally Posted by PFranklin View Post
    Watch some of the WWII training films regarding the 1911 as its drawn from the cavalry style scabbard holster. I could be wrong, but by my reckoning the 1911 when drawn was not cocked and locked. The slide had to be racked to chamber a round just before firing. (I think?.)
    this is condition 3. it is the safest way to carry a pistol. the military uses it because there are lots of poorly trained soldiers who would go around shooting themselves in the leg. it is the slowest condition to deploy for self defense.
    PFranklin likes this.
    Psalm 144:1

Distinguished Member Array ca survivor's Avatar
    the thumb safety won't engage with the hammer down on a 1911, the SAR is a different gun platform, C&L that 1911 or get a DA/SA with decocker.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Sponsored Links