The old pellet gun - Page 2

The old pellet gun

This is a discussion on The old pellet gun within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by SIGP250 Pellet guns are fun for shooting critters but if you want to correct two problems you might look into having your ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree73Likes

Thread: The old pellet gun

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SIGP250 View Post
    Pellet guns are fun for shooting critters but if you want to correct two problems you might look into having your porch/patio mud jacked. It is done with a concrete slurry mix that will completely and permanently fill any voids any will also lift the concrete slab back to its original position.
    I would look into that except the porch is part of the outside of our condo and our condo association is responsible for ALL outside maintenance. Knowing the budge and expenses well, I very much doubt there would be the money to do that. There are 24 units in our group and I'm sure ours is not the only porch with this problem. And almost without exception when an individual owner has said he or she would pay for something that needed to be done and then the association could reimburse if and when funds became available, the answer was 'NO' anyway.

We chose to live in a condo because Gramps just plain was getting too old to do all the outside work required. And so was I! The last year we lived in a house he bagged 160 contractor size heavy black plastic bags of leaves. That helped him make the decision to move to a condo. Now we smile as the lawn service makes mountain size piles of leaves 2 or 3 times each fall and sucks them up and trucks them away!
    Getting old was not on my list of "things to do" in the Golden Years!

==================
    Talking to each other here is good, but taking action is better.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by montejames View Post
    Road flairs work for gophers and might work for you.

Last thing in the evening close open holes. First thing the next morning light one and shove it down in a new hole, cover with dirt. The flair will fill the tunnels with smoke and the sulphur will drive them off and keep them from using the old tunnels.

Your neighbors won't like you as it tends to drive them into the neighbors yard.
    That might work if we had holes in a yard. But they are squeezing through barely perceptible spaces between the soil and the cement of our porch. In our last house we sure tried everything except the flairs in the holes and nothing worked. We tried pushing those "delicious tempting" poison pellets into the cracks and all that does is let us know where along the whole porch line they are coming out since they drag the pellets out on their way to the live trap where the bird feed seeds are waiting for them. But thanks for the suggestion!
    OldVet likes this.

==================

Senior Moderator
    My childhood Benjamin Model 347 .177 is still pulling more actually defense of the homestead than any other gun here.

Squirrels thieve peaches. Squirrels get their just deserts. This one died happy with the peach in his mouth.

Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ShooterGranny View Post
    I would look into that except the porch is part of the outside of our condo and our condo association is responsible for ALL outside maintenance. Knowing the budge and expenses well, I very much doubt there would be the money to do that. There are 24 units in our group and I'm sure ours is not the only porch with this problem. And almost without exception when an individual owner has said he or she would pay for something that needed to be done and then the association could reimburse if and when funds became available, the answer was 'NO' anyway.

We chose to live in a condo because Gramps just plain was getting too old to do all the outside work required. And so was I! The last year we lived in a house he bagged 160 contractor size heavy black plastic bags of leaves. That helped him make the decision to move to a condo. Now we smile as the lawn service makes mountain size piles of leaves 2 or 3 times each fall and sucks them up and trucks them away!
    I can certainly understand your reason for moving into a condo. When yard work and other maintenance becomes too difficult in a single family home, let that be taken care of for you. I'm a bit surprised no one has complained about the pellet gun but blast away and have fun as long as you can.

The sulfur idea is one I have heard of but never tried. Since having a really bad encounter with chiggers last year, I have bought powdered sulfur from the drug store. It is supposed to work. For now though I'm just staying out of tall grass where they are very active.

Powdered sulfur or even rat poison might be worth trying. I'm probably going to use poison to take care of an armadillo family that lives on my property. Like opossums, they are usually most active at night. I can shoot them on my property but by the time my dogs star barking, they have usually crossed into the woods.
    ShooterGranny likes this.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

Our long-time family friend is the community-compensated "Skunk Trapper". He live-trapped 59 last season. When I asked how he then "dispatches" them? he explained - Well, you just hold up an ol' blanket as ya' approach the lil' stinker. They won't spray what they can't see. Drop the blanket over the trap & put the whole shebang in yur' pickup truck bed. Then drive to the pond and...drop it in. He has a length of paracord (with a fishing float) tied to every trap for post-mortem trap recovery.

I must work 'cuz we attend the same church & he is NOT known as the "Stinkin' Deacon".
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Hodad View Post
    I have read that a couple of natural ways to rid your self of chipmunks are:

Put a couple of pieces of Ex Lax near the tunnel entrance

or

Put some chewing gum near the entrance

One blows them out (dehydration) and the other clogs them up.

I let you figure out which one does what.
    Gum does not clog you up. Old wife's tale. I've been swallowing it for 60 years. It beats spitting it out on the sidewalk for everyone to step on.

Granny, I feel your pain. Every since a squirrel chewed up the eaves on my house I've been trapping and releasing them out in an oak grove across the interstate. Other than a few live oak trees scattered about the neighborhood, the only other trees are Brazilian pepper trees, which are really a brush. I don't know where they come from, but I've trapped well over sixty. A new one will show up within a week of getting rid of the last one.

I bought a Red Rider BB gun to keep the grand kids entertained. I toss a stick in the canal and let them shoot at it. It's got all the range and accuracy of a good downwind spit, but I'm pretty good with it. Of course, I grew up with a baseball glove in one hand, a BB gun n the other. I was much better with the BB gun than the glove.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

VIP Member
    Gramps' latest routine seems to be 1. Get up and get dressed. 2. Start making breakfast 3. Look outside and see ONE MORE chipmunk in the trap. 4. Eat breakfast. 5. Get pellet gun. 6. One to the body to stop it from jumping around in the trap and then one to the head to finish it off. 7. Walk back to the edge of the woods and dump the trap.

Every morning so far. But that is somewhat better than 2 or 3 every day and driving miles to release them. I'm guessing Gramps will be needing to buy another container of lead pellets. He's had this little box for over 20 years. Never know when these things will be needed, right?

BTW - This is not a CO2 gun. Just a cheap old pellet gun. It seems to do what is needed now though.

Addendum: Gramps puts a few seeds on the platform which trips the trap for them to grab and take outside to eat. This morning there was a pile of hulls right outside our front door. Then they go back for all the rest of the seeds that are in a cottage cheese container lid in back of the little platform. Once they actually put their weight on that platform, ZING, they're trapped.

We used to use peanut butter on the platform with the seeds pressed into it. Only worked on occasion. This new system which Gramps figured out "all by himself" works much better.
    msgt/ret and bmcgilvray like this.

==================

I didn't have much luck with peanut butter either. Attracted more ants than anything. I scatter a few raw peanuts around the tree and some in the trap. The Blue Jays will try to rob it but get caught occasionally. They are not happy campers.
    msgt/ret and ShooterGranny like this.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Senior Member Array GreenMan0352's Avatar
    You people are monsters! Don't you know that all those little creatures like that gather and sing songs with princesses in the woods?

Quote Originally Posted by GreenMan0352 View Post
    You people are monsters! Don't you know that all those little creatures like that gather and sing songs with princesses in the woods?
    The little twits can stay off my lawn.

Senior Moderator
    As long as princesses stay away from my peach tree ...
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

I keep one of my airguns in the corner on the sun porch, hidden by an umbrella, for easy grabbing in case i see something before I open the door to go outside.
    I just caught this little bugger sunning himself on the blocks surrounding the burn pit. I don't see many chipmunks around the house and mean to keep it that way.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The old pellet gun-airforce-chipmunk.jpg  

bmcgilvray and ghost tracker like this.

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Gum does not clog you up. Old wife's tale. I've been swallowing it for 60 years. It beats spitting it out on the sidewalk for everyone to step on.

Granny, I feel your pain. Every since a squirrel chewed up the eaves on my house I've been trapping and releasing them out in an oak grove across the interstate. Other than a few live oak trees scattered about the neighborhood, the only other trees are Brazilian pepper trees, which are really a brush. I don't know where they come from, but I've trapped well over sixty. A new one will show up within a week of getting rid of the last one.

I bought a Red Rider BB gun to keep the grand kids entertained. I toss a stick in the canal and let them shoot at it. It's got all the range and accuracy of a good downwind spit, but I'm pretty good with it. Of course, I grew up with a baseball glove in one hand, a BB gun n the other. I was much better with the BB gun than the glove.
    Not to argue with you OldVet but I think your intestinal tract is somewhat different from a chipmunks'. At least I hope it is!!

and

You didn't speak directly to the Ex Lax method I suggested. Please don't go into detail about how that affected you!!
    "Life is tough but it's really tough if you are stupid"

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    If squirrels are anything like chipmunks when it comes to homing instincts, you are going to have to take them at least 4 miles as the crow flies (not as you drive) away or they will "show up within a week" of removing them. Or use a gun.

This morning's chipmunk did not want to die. It took 5 pellets. In the rain.
    msgt/ret likes this.

==================

Ouch. Five pellets?
    Fathers Day is just around the corner. Might be time for a pellet gun upgrade.
    Or a new script
    Libertywheel likes this.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links