Hate freeloaders. Do some people think bullets/ammos are free or something? - Page 5

Hate freeloaders. Do some people think bullets/ammos are free or something?

This is a discussion on Hate freeloaders. Do some people think bullets/ammos are free or something? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by drift Seriously lol - anyone on welfare is on it because they made bad decisions lol. I would not state that as ...

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5
Like Tree171Likes

Thread: Hate freeloaders. Do some people think bullets/ammos are free or something?

Quote Originally Posted by drift View Post
    Seriously lol - anyone on welfare is on it because they made bad decisions lol.
    I would not state that as an absolute.
    Libertywheel likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    I would not state that as an absolute.
    Sometimes life deals you a tough hand.
    OldVet likes this.
    Doing my best to stay left of boom.

Quote Originally Posted by Libertywheel View Post
    Sometimes life deals you a tough hand.
    Yep. Sometimes life deals you lemons. You can make lemon aid out of them, but you can't make a T-bone steak from them.
    Libertywheel likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by graydude View Post
    I provide ammo for anyone who asks to go shooting with me, the first time. It's my small contribution to demystifying guns for people who have never been shooting. Those trips often involve me shooting very little as I supervise and coach, but that's rewarding in a different way when the light bulb comes on in others.

After that I'll suggest they pick up a box or two of ammo at Walmart for the next trip since "I'm running low" (ha, yeah, riiiight). Those who want to go again haven't had any issue getting ammo for themselves.

^^^^^^ THIS ^^^^^^

My sentiments exactly. I'll take a newbie any day for their first time, just to get them involved. That also exposes them to the costs of everything involved, & I lay it out for them. Roughly $15 range fee, we'll shoot 200 rounds at $25.00 / 100. This time is on me in hopes to get you excited about shooting, plus I get to play too. Next time, I'll be happy to split the costs with you as I'll be shooting half the time & half the ammo.
    Gun Free Zones are totally effective, and 100% safe ... (wait for it) ... (wait for it) ... until a bad guy with a gun shows up! Then suddenly, you have an uncontested Kill Zone of defensless sheep, patiently awaiting their turn for the slaughter.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bamaga View Post
    Having a backyard range. (I live against a hillside, which makes a natural berm on 3 sides much like Hickok 45 , except much rougher terrain) friends and family often give the 'we should get together and shoot sometime' comment in casual conversation. And if I say sure, how about so and so day, they always come empty handed. Sometimes without their firearm . To make matters worse, I usually grill steaks or something afterward at my expense. I like to shoot, and I like others enjoying the sport, but Lately I have stopped replying to the casual comments, just ignoring it instead.

Hey Bamaga.....I'd love to go your place, and I'd bring all my own gear/ammo and a steak for YOU for the opportunity! That's not too casual, is it?!

That's how it SHOULD go......folks don't realize what a great "deal" they are getting..... private range, good company, and great fellowship!
    Bamaga likes this.
    "Once that bell rings, you're on your own. It's just you and the other guy.” - Joe Lewis

“I’m not obsessive about cleaning my guns. I like them like my martinis and my women....a ‘little’ dirty.....”

Member: GOA, SAF, ISAA

I was so happy that my sons wanted to shoot that I never asked for their contribution until recently. I'm using the "stop at Walmart" line now too. I love them, but all they want to shoot are my 45's! That gets to be an expensive afternoon.
    Rockymonster likes this.
    U.S. Army 11B40

Quote Originally Posted by BuckJM53 View Post
    If I invite a newbie to shoot, it's always with the understanding that the 1st session is on me (guns, ammo, range time and training) and with the purpose to "wet their appetite" for shooting. Since it's my dime and I've never been a believer in mindlessly sending lead down range, I set it up as follows:

1. I always limit the first trip to an hour (amazingly I'm always busy that day ... Who would have thunk it).
    2. After safety orientation, they get to learn the basics with a 22 (usually 75 rounds with a limit of 5 rounds loaded per magazine and slow fired with meaningful discussion about technique between magazines).
    3. Once they have the basics we shoot a limited quantity of 9s and 45s (20 to 25 rounds each with a limit 3 rounds per magazine as above).

One hour and approximately 125 rounds for a newbie is about right for the first time out in my experience and thinking. Additional trips are always at their expense for range time and ammo (not shy about telling them they have to pay to play). Have done it this way for years and have had the privilege of launching numerous folks towards enjoyment of the shooting sports and conceal carry. YMMV
    This is extremely close to what I do. When I took my brother's family (including his wife and two kids and our mother) shooting for the first time, I showed up the night before at their house for a 45-minute safety and marksmanship lesson. I covered almost all of them for entry - but I did need help on the ammo (seven shooters was just too much to cover). I spent so much time helping everybody with their shooting, that I barely shot 20 rounds myself, and found it a very rewarding day.
    JackRock
    https://www.ryancash.co
    My EDC: PPQ M2 9mm in a Long's Shadow Antero IWB Holster, A custom mag/Leatherman/Flashlight carrier, and a folding knife. Also, my cell phone, and some fully-functional gray matter between my ears.

Quote Originally Posted by jackrock View Post
    This is extremely close to what I do. When I took my brother's family (including his wife and two kids and our mother) shooting for the first time, I showed up the night before at their house for a 45-minute safety and marksmanship lesson. I covered almost all of them for entry - but I did need help on the ammo (seven shooters was just too much to cover). I spent so much time helping everybody with their shooting, that I barely shot 20 rounds myself, and found it a very rewarding day.
    Jack ... Seven newbies at a time is a tall order IMHO (like herding cats) . Since I primarily shoot indoors, I never take more than two and most often only one so that I can provide the best learning environment possible.
    I was taught to respect my elders! The problem is, I'm having a much harder time finding them these days .

Quote Originally Posted by BuckJM53 View Post
    Jack ... Seven newbies at a time is a tall order IMHO (like herding cats) . Since I primarily shoot indoors, I never take more than two and most often only one so that I can provide the best learning environment possible.
    Yeah, it was the whole family+, and I didn't find out about some of them until right before we were going to the actual range.
    JackRock
    https://www.ryancash.co
    My EDC: PPQ M2 9mm in a Long's Shadow Antero IWB Holster, A custom mag/Leatherman/Flashlight carrier, and a folding knife. Also, my cell phone, and some fully-functional gray matter between my ears.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Sponsored Links