What kind of guns are these?

This is a discussion on What kind of guns are these? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Came across 2 old guns that look to be powder loading revolvers. Any info will be great. Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree48Likes

Thread: What kind of guns are these?

Came across 2 old guns that look to be powder loading revolvers. Any info will be great.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Look like Colt (clone/reproductions?) to me. What's the caliber?
    OldChap likes this.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

They look like 36 cal Navy Colt repro's, or Army 44's.
    OldChap and WrongRecroom like this.
    " Blessed is that man, who when facing death, thinks only of his front sight.”
    -Jeff Cooper

“ Looking around doesn’t cost you anything; and it’s a healthy habit”
    -Joe Foss

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    They look like 36 cal Navy Colt repro's, or Army 44's.
    That's why I asked the caliber Gman. Maybe one of each? With brass frames, I wouldn't suggest...+P powder charges.
    G-man* and OldChap like this.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Where would I look to find the caliber size?

Quote Originally Posted by ghost tracker View Post
    That's why I asked the caliber Gman. Maybe one of each? With brass frames, I wouldn't suggest...+P powder charges.
    Ah, come on man! Fill those cylinders to the top with som fff, and push a lead ball down on top, and shoot them puppies like it was 1851!
    -Jeff Cooper

-Joe Foss

Quote Originally Posted by mwill00 View Post

Should be on the barrel or frame.
    -Jeff Cooper

-Joe Foss

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    Ah, come on man! Fill those cylinders to the top with som fff, and push a lead ball down on top, and shoot them puppies like it was 1851!
    Thank you Mr. Hickok.

Quote Originally Posted by mwill00 View Post
    If you can stick the smallest part of your pinkie slightly down the muzzle, it's a .44. If all you can do is locate the divot, it's a .36. (*this method is subject to varying results due to...pinkie size)
    ShooterGranny likes this.

The one on the right (lower photo) is an 1851 Navy in 36 caliber. Make sure it is a replica, not an original. A real Colt with an engraved cylinder is almost priceless. Same story for the one on the left (lower photo) except it is a 44 caliber. That is, unless the photograph is skewed.

Name:  Colt 1851 navy.jpg
Views: 276
Size:  11.8 KB

This is a Colt 1851 Navy in 36 caliber. If they are Colts, DO NOT SHOOT THEM unless you like risking a multi thousand dollar gun.

Since they are engraved, I would suspect they are reproductions.

My 1851 is in the safe. I don't remember if real ones have the caliber marked. Uberti clones do not, IIRC.
    ghost tracker and bmcgilvray like this.

They look to be 1851 "Confederate" Navy revolvers based on the brass frames. Pietta made them so they could be either .36 or .44s.

The "Real" Confederate was I believe called an 1860, although it was a copy of the Colt 1851 (not a Colt 1860) and came in either .36 or .44. It has the brass frame due to the South's shortage of steel. They were made by Samuel Griswold of Griswold and Gunnison arms and actually had a round barrel and a plain cylinder.

Chuck
    OldChap, bmcgilvray and redmc like this.
    homo homini lupus est

I did a little bit more research. @Chuck R. is right. Those "seem" to be Pietta modern day clones of the Colt 1851 Navy with the full brass frame. Real Colts and Uberti, Pietta, and other quality clones have the original Colt octagon barrel. Some others, and real Confederate copies of the 1851, had a round barrel. At least so say all the authorities I can find.

The engraved battle scene of the Texas Navy at the battle of Campeche in 1843 was on original Colts, and, I believe, all of the better clones, as yours seem to be. Uberti clones only come with the steel case hardened frame and brass trigger guards and grip frame, I think.

Only Pietta clones an all-brass version that looks like yours. So I think Chuck is correct.

Just something to make you feel light headed. A friend of my father knew nothing about guns but asked my dad if he could go shooting with us one day. Dad said sure, but asked if he had a gun. The friend said yes, but somebody needed to look at it because he didn't know what ammunition to buy. It appeared to be a Colt 1851 Navy. They took it to a local expert who verified that it was a genuine Colt and valued it at around $30K - in 1970s dollars! Needless to say they didn't go shoot it.

Like the recon info Chappy! But LOVE the...story!
    OldChap likes this.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by OldChap View Post
    I did a little bit more research. @Chuck R. is right. Those "seem" to be Pietta modern day clones of the Colt 1851 Navy with the full brass frame. Real Colts and Uberti, Pietta, and other quality clones have the original Colt octagon barrel. Some others, and real Confederate copies of the 1851, had a round barrel. At least so say all the authorities I can find.

The engraved battle scene of the Texas Navy at the battle of Campeche in 1843 was on original Colts, and, I believe, all of the better clones, as yours seem to be. Uberti clones only come with the steel case hardened frame and brass trigger guards and grip frame, I think.

Only Pietta clones an all-brass version that looks like yours. So I think Chuck is correct.

Just something to make you feel light headed. A friend of my father knew nothing about guns but asked my dad if he could go shooting with us one day. Dad said sure, but asked if he had a gun. The friend said yes, but somebody needed to look at it because he didn't know what ammunition to buy. It appeared to be a Colt 1851 Navy. They took it to a local expert who verified that it was a genuine Colt and valued it at around $30K - in 1970s dollars! Needless to say they didn't go shoot it.
    I'd 'a shot it.

I came to grief with a brass-framed replica purchased at a pawn shop back in the late 1970s. It was a '51 Navy but in .44 caliber. Spent an afternoon getting to know it out at our old family place and shot a few cylinders-full through it. Barrel assembly became loose on the frame. I shimmed it and tightened it up. Took it out a second time and it shot loose again. Couldn't really tighten it up the second time so sold it to my dentist for $25 as a wall-hanger.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

Freedom and responsibility appear to have been no more than an experimental blip in human history.”

Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    I'd 'a shot it.

I came to grief with a brass-framed replica purchased at a pawn shop back in the late 1970s. It was a '51 Navy but in .44 caliber. Spent an afternoon getting to know it out at our old family place and shot a few cylinders-full through it. Barrel assembly became loose on the frame. I shimmed it and tightened it up. Took it out a second time and it shot loose again. Couldn't really tighten it up the second time so sold it to my dentist for $25 as a wall-hanger.
    Wonder if that ever happened to an original CSA Griswold and Gunnison (brass-framed clone of the Union's 1860 Colt)? The frames were (reportedly) cast from the church bells of Macon, GA.

Now, please excuse me whilst I go somewhere alone and sing a few quiet bars of "Dixie".
    bmcgilvray and OldChap like this.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links