1911- the perfect shooting handgun - Page 3

1911- the perfect shooting handgun

This is a discussion on 1911- the perfect shooting handgun within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by ShotPlacement I like this analysis; it's kind of how I feel. I don't carry a 1911 primarily due to the weight, and ...

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
Like Tree634Likes

Thread: 1911- the perfect shooting handgun

Quote Originally Posted by ShotPlacement View Post
    I like this analysis; it's kind of how I feel. I don't carry a 1911 primarily due to the weight, and I don't like the thumb safety either.
    I like the thumb safety. I posted on another thread someplace that I won't carry a 1911 because I may forget to sweep the thumb safety as I draw the pistol and I would be in trouble for sure. I have read that many of these guys that have put many thousands of rounds downrange and have shot a heap of 1911's that they automatically sweep the thumb safety off when shooting everything, including REVOLVERS. I am trying to get into that muscle memory to where I do that on all my handguns and then maybe, I will feel comfortable carrying 1911's regularly. I love 1911's

VIP Member
    Interesting that this thread should appear just now. Only yesterday, a young gun enthusiast co-worker and I had a great conversation along these lines. I'm not ex-military, or LEO - just a long-time handgun enthusiast. I shoot a good bit, although not the hundreds or thousands of rounds per month that some do. In the last 40 years I've had upwards of 100 handguns. My EDC's are plastic fantastics of the M&P flavor.

I related to my young friend how I just really seem to shoot a 1911 better than any other pistol. He asked me, "If you were facing a BG fifty yards away who was pointing a gun at you, and all you had was a pistol to defend yourself with, what would you want it to be?" My answer was my DW Valor. I answered pretty much without thinking, so I guess for me, the 1911 has proven itself well enough!
    Regards,
    Jim
    NRA Life Member
    Charter Member (#00002) of the DC .41 LC Society - "Get Heeled! No, really!"
    He that cannot reason is a fool. He that will not is a bigot. He that dares not is a slave. - Andrew Carnegie

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Brother, they don't make enough popcorn for this. I'm going to Plan B(ourbon).
    I dunno, O.V. This one is so bad I might have to resort to pills...
    Sister likes this.
    - testing was halted after a brief kinetic episode -

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

I like this analysis; it's kind of how I feel. I don't carry a 1911 primarily due to the weight, and I don't like the thumb safety either.
    But you decided to chuck a grenade into the room anyway, Doug ?
    ShotPlacement likes this.

The best 1911 I ever owned was a Wilson Combat I owned in the late 70"s. There is no need for me to own anything else, I considered the WC 1911 the best.

I now consider double stack 9 DA/SA to be the best and my choice is CZ's and Sigs. CZ's and Cajun Gunworks put together some very fine guns. They shoot very flat and accurate.

Senior Member Array ShotPlacement's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PhaedrusIV View Post
    But you decided to chuck a grenade into the room anyway, Doug ?
    Just because I don't carry one or like the safety doesn't mean 1911's aren't one of the finest handgun choices for others. And yes, it was a tiny grenade...
    PhaedrusIV likes this.
    Doug

NRA Life Member - 2nd Amendment Foundation member- Gun Owners of America Member

Don't be the internet goof that types things you wouldn't have the courage to say to someone's face.

Just because I don't carry one or like the safety doesn't mean 1911's aren't one of the finest handgun choices for others. And yes, it was a tiny grenade...
    Methinks it was more of a stink bomb.
    SatCong likes this.

Senior Member Array ShotPlacement's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PhaedrusIV View Post
    Methinks it was more of a stink bomb.
    Not intentionally- I knew there would be strong opinions, both expressed and withheld. But it was a genuine question and I've enjoyed the responses.
    Doug

NRA Life Member - 2nd Amendment Foundation member- Gun Owners of America Member

Don't be the internet goof that types things you wouldn't have the courage to say to someone's face.

OD*
    Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by jimjc View Post
    The best 1911 I ever owned was a Wilson Combat I owned in the late 70"s. There is no need for me to own anything else, I considered the WC 1911 the best.
    Just out of curiosity, what make of pistol did you use as a base gun?
    deadguy and WC145 like this.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow.
    End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

NRA Patron Member

I owned many guns most were S&W 60, 686 Revo. and semis 39, 645, model 52 master, model 41, HK P07 and many many others. I shot the WC in comp for 3 years

I did own many Colt 1911's

OD*
    Senior Moderator
    I owned many guns most were S&W 60, 686 Revo. and semis 39, 645, model 52 master, model 41, HK P07 and many many others. I shot the WC in comp for 3 years

I did own many Colt 1911's
    I'm sorry I wasn't clear, what make of 1911 did you have the Wilson Combat built upon?
    SatCong, msgt/ret and WC145 like this.

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow.

NRA Patron Member

Colt from Wilson Gun Shop in either 78/79... a few years before Wilson started making their own parts and their guns got much more expensive.
    OD*, msgt/ret and WC145 like this.

OD*
    Senior Moderator
    Colt from Wilson Gun Shop in either 78/79... a few years before Wilson started making their own parts and their guns got much more expensive.
    Thanks, I had one built on a Colt 'bout '96 I'd guess it was? Shortly before or after he started offering his own pistols anyway.

'78/79, nice, you got a very early one.

NRA Patron Member

I have plenty of practical handguns, semis and revolvers. Some are "tupperware," others are steel, most are both. I've shot many, but I don't own a 1911 (though I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night...).

Is there a better shooting, more accurate handgun than a stock 1911 in .45 caliber? Boring ergos, heavy to carry- but is there a "better" handgun platform/caliber combo if you want to "get the job done?"

I can make the case for revolvers- a good wheel gun trumps all when it comes to simple operation and power. But for power, capacity, accuracy all rolled into one, does the 1911 win?

Start your engines....
    A 1911 in one form or another is just about ideal for lots of applications.

Is it "the best" though? Maybe in its niche. But there are a bunch of those niches.
    OD* and msgt/ret like this.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it."

Agent K

When I carry IWB, it's usually My Kimber SIS Ultra. OWB I carry my Kimber Super Carry Custom HD. Out-of-the-box, they fired as well and accurate as any custom 1911 I've ever had or fired. I trust my life with them every day. I have (and have had) quite a number of plastic guns, but I always seem to go back to these. As for the addition weight, I just started wearing suspenders.
    msgt/ret, Instymp and Kilowatt3 like this.
    KNOWLEDGE: A tomato is a fruit.
    WISDOM: Not putting a tomato in a fruit salad.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links