1911- the perfect shooting handgun - Page 4

1911- the perfect shooting handgun

This is a discussion on 1911- the perfect shooting handgun within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I guess I'll throw in my two cents. I have owned three 1911's since around 1990. All three were all steel frames with 4" barrels. ...

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
Like Tree634Likes

Thread: 1911- the perfect shooting handgun

I guess I'll throw in my two cents. I have owned three 1911's since around 1990. All three were all steel frames with 4" barrels. I have shot the 5" versions, but not extensively. I have yet to see a 1911 that beats any of the more modern brands or good models for reliability. A friend of mine has a 5" Taurus, a Kimber, Wilson, and a Nighthawk. The Taurus has been the best. And the cheapest. Go figure. I love my Champion. But when it comes down to what I trust with my life, I carry a Beretta 92 or a Sig. 1911's are fun to shoot. But like all antiques, they're high maintenance, and questionable reliability rule them out.

Senior Member Array ShotPlacement's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PhaedrusIV View Post
    But you decided to chuck a grenade into the room anyway, Doug ?
    Here's a topic I was thinking of starting in another thread- Is the Glock 19 the best semi auto in the world?

Just kidding. That would be an atomic grendade!
    PhaedrusIV and OD* like this.
    Doug

NRA Life Member - 2nd Amendment Foundation member- Gun Owners of America Member

Don't be the internet goof that types things you wouldn't have the courage to say to someone's face.

Quote Originally Posted by CDW4ME View Post
    I've got 1911's and I've carried them, keep going back to Glocks.
    I shoot my Glock 21, 22 and 35 just as well and they impress me as "soft shooting".

A 1911 is slim and conceals easily IWB, but the 22 and 35 are fairly slim too. (35 seems big but its length / height are very similar to 1911)

Limiting options to flush fit, 1911 magazine is 7 or 8 rounds 45 acp.
    13 rounds 45 acp in Glock 21.
    15 rounds in Glock 22/35
    Glock 21: Federal HST 230 gr. @ 863 fps / 380# KE
    Glock 22: Federal HST 180 gr. @ 996 fps / 397# KE
    Glock 35: Federal HST 180 @ 1,019 fps / 415# KE

If I had to live in a 10 round state a 1911 would have more appeal, still the Glock 30SF (10 rounds 45 acp) would be a competitor for my holster.
    Although the capacity discrepancy is reduced, 1911 still comes up deficient.
    I'd carry two spare mags with the 1911 vs one with the Glock, but continuity of fire factors for something.
    30SF does not have the same "shootability" (for me) as the larger Glocks, advantage 1911.
    Two days later...

Thanks OP.
    This thread caused me to put 1911's IWB - again.
    That is always a mistake, because although the Glock 22/35 is "fairly slim" it is not the same slim as a 1911.
    A Glock 21SF seems rather thick when compared to the 1911.
    So slim IWB
    The feel of the grip in my hand.
    3rd time in one year, back to 1911.
    msgt/ret, SatCong, Nix and 5 others like this.
    I'm not inclined to disarm for a concert, game, (entertainment) and I ain't going on a plane or cruise.
    "Wouldn't want to or Nobody volunteer to" get shot by _____ is not indicative of quickly incapacitating.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Two days later...

Thanks OP.
    That is always a mistake, because although the Glock 22/35 is "fairly slim" it is not the same slim as a 1911.
    So slim IWB
    But you went to back to antiques. That just keep working.
    PhaedrusIV, msgt/ret, OD* and 2 others like this.
    NRA PATRON LIFE
    AzCDL Life Member
    BROWN WATER NAVY

Nix
    Quote Originally Posted by SatCong View Post
    But you went to back to antiques. That just keep working.
    I have four (4) 1911's. This is in part because I can't afford an Ed Brown (). Ruger, Sig, Springfield, Kimber. Oddly enough, they all work. Consistently. I keep shooting them in the hopes that they will fail and I can finally figure out what's wrong with them. I'm 100% positive that they are NOT reliable. I know for certain that they will fail some day and I'll finally figure out that the recoil spring is the wrong weight or that the extractor needs tuning or that the feed ramp needs to be polished (more).

I hate these pistols because I can't figure out what's wrong with them so far. I'm sure I will though. Once I figure out what's wrong with them, I'll probably sell them all off and buy a Glock. The frustrating part is that I'm wasting a lot of time shooting and reloading ammo and buying reloading supplies and buying ammo while trying to figure out why they suck. Or will suck. Probably. 'Cuz the internet sez so.

Senior Member Array ShotPlacement's Avatar
    Two days later...

Thanks OP.
    So slim IWB
    My job here is complete.
    OD*, CDW4ME, WC145 and 1 others like this.
    Doug

NRA Life Member - 2nd Amendment Foundation member- Gun Owners of America Member

Don't be the internet goof that types things you wouldn't have the courage to say to someone's face.

Quote Originally Posted by Nix View Post
    I have four (4) 1911's. This is in part because I can't afford an Ed Brown (). Ruger, Sig, Springfield, Kimber. Oddly enough, they all work. Consistently. I keep shooting them in the hopes that they will fail and I can finally figure out what's wrong with them. I'm 100% positive that they are NOT reliable. I know for certain that they will fail some day and I'll finally figure out that the recoil spring is the wrong weight or that the extractor needs tuning or that the feed ramp needs to be polished (more).

I hate these pistols because I can't figure out what's wrong with them so far. I'm sure I will though. Once I figure out what's wrong with them, I'll probably sell them all off and buy a Glock. The frustrating part is that I'm wasting a lot of time shooting and reloading ammo and buying reloading supplies and buying ammo while trying to figure out why they suck. Or will suck. Probably. 'Cuz the internet sez so.
    Understand, from the 1960's on they just keep working for me, even when they have over 100,000 rounds through them. But I will keep trying.
    NRA PATRON LIFE
    AzCDL Life Member
    BROWN WATER NAVY

Nix
    Understand, from the 1960's on they just keep working for me, even when they have over 100,000 rounds through them. But I will keep trying.
    I have absolute confidence that one day we'll figure out why these are completely obsolete and a bad idea. But the effort is a bit of a pain. Sorry to gripe.
    SatCong, OD* and Kilowatt3 like this.

Distinguished Member Array 1MoreFord's Avatar
    A box stock 1911 is not perfect for me. I don't like suffering hammer bite. I also like a bigger safety and *Good* sights. An enhanced 1911 is a really nice pistol but I don't want to mess with a bare bones, box stock 1911.
    Last edited by 1MoreFord; October 7th, 2017 at 09:00 PM.
    msgt/ret likes this.
    Joe

This is my box stock Les Baer Concept VI.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1911- the perfect shooting handgun-concept-6.jpg  

OD*, msgt/ret, Okeechobee and 3 others like this.
    NRA PATRON LIFE
    AzCDL Life Member
    BROWN WATER NAVY

Quote Originally Posted by Nix View Post

I can't afford it either.

I have the advantage of time, being a gun owner a long time, and have sold / traded "lesser" guns to get a few nice ones.
    Two is one, one is none so I have two 1911's for myself.
    I have two more so that I can give one to each of my two boys when they are old enough (both legally and IMO).
    One extra, in commander size - just because.

Quote Originally Posted by ShotPlacement View Post
    My job here is complete.
    OD* and Kilowatt3 like this.
    I'm not inclined to disarm for a concert, game, (entertainment) and I ain't going on a plane or cruise.
    "Wouldn't want to or Nobody volunteer to" get shot by _____ is not indicative of quickly incapacitating.

Shot a few rounds over the chrono today
    Dan Wesson Valor
    Winchester 230 gr. FMJ @ 830 fps
    Federal 230 HST @ 891 fps
    Winchester 230 gr. Ranger T @ 915 fps

IMO the stainless Valor is priced very competitively considering tool steel small parts (no MIM)

1911- the perfect shooting handgun-valor.jpg

1911 doesn't have Glock capacity, but Glock doesn't have 1911 slimness
    This holster was not made for a 1911, it was a Glock 21 holster
    I heated it with a hairdryer & reshaped it and put in a couple retention screws.
    Frankenstein result pleases me (a lot) - pistol is canted forward, grip is tucked snug to body, rides deep getting the muzzle past (off) my hip.
    1911 disappears under a untucked polo and I can lean forward quite a bit without printing.
    I've worn it on casual 9 mile bicycle rides / all day long piddling, running errands, ect... no problem.

1911- the perfect shooting handgun-slim.jpg
    AzQkr, Nix, msgt/ret and 3 others like this.

This is my box stock Les Baer Concept VI.
    Is that a double stacker? Pic makes it appear so.

Quote Originally Posted by AzQkr View Post
    Is that a double stacker? Pic makes it appear so.
    No, it just holds eight. Concept VI.
    AzQkr and msgt/ret like this.
    NRA PATRON LIFE
    AzCDL Life Member
    BROWN WATER NAVY

Quote Originally Posted by ShotPlacement View Post
    I have plenty of practical handguns, semis and revolvers. Some are "tupperware," others are steel, most are both. I've shot many, but I don't own a 1911 (though I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night...).

Is there a better shooting, more accurate handgun than a stock 1911 in .45 caliber? Boring ergos, heavy to carry- but is there a "better" handgun platform/caliber combo if you want to "get the job done?"
    Boring ergos, heavy to carry- I wonder how can a 72 year old man carry a 5'' or 4 1/4'' all steel 1911's for CC every day?
    OD*, msgt/ret, CDW4ME and 3 others like this.
    NRA PATRON LIFE
    AzCDL Life Member
    BROWN WATER NAVY

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links