1911- the perfect shooting handgun - Page 6

1911- the perfect shooting handgun

This is a discussion on 1911- the perfect shooting handgun within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Thanks. For me, a big part of any firearm's appeal is the potential for handloading fun. (Oh, I understand that Colt is planning on making ...

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast
Like Tree634Likes

Thread: 1911- the perfect shooting handgun

Nix
    Thanks. For me, a big part of any firearm's appeal is the potential for handloading fun.

(Oh, I understand that Colt is planning on making a few more....... )
    OD*, bmcgilvray, msgt/ret and 2 others like this.

Senior Moderator
    Yeah, I've been lusting after a new Colt .38 Super .38.

Gotta keep OD* happy with the cartridge nomenclature so we'll tack a prefix and suffix to .38. Heh! Whatever it is it's gotta be super! Really does look like one of the better auto pistol cartridges, right there with .357 SIG though it came along first.
    msgt/ret, OD*, ETXhiker and 2 others like this.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Nix
    Brought the new 1911 home today:

Cleaned it, function checked, did a magazine feed check. All together, I'm quite pleased.

The frame to slide fit has a bit more play than I was hoping for. I'd read that Colt was making some tight slides, this one is fine but didn't need any significant lapping before leaving the factory. Lock seems good. I'll be interested how it does at the range.

To clean it, I broke it down as usual and also took out the extractor and firing pin. I will say that it was a bit of a bear to get the extractor out. I guess it is tensioned a bit more than the 45 ACP extractors are, and the claw wanted to hand onto the breech face for dear life. But, just hand checking the extractor, it seems tuned nicely.

I haven't made up my mind about the plastic main spring housing. I guess there are a few benefits to a plastic housing, so I'll probably live with it for a while.

The trigger is a very nice 3.5 pounds, but has a bit of pretravel or slack and a hint of mushiness. So after a test trip to the range, I'll try to get the slack out and crisp it up a touch. It's fine the way it is, but.....this is a 1911 so why not try to achieve a bit of perfection. What would JMB do?

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

N-i-i-i-i-ce!

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it."

Agent K

Nix
    Thanks!

I'm waiting to see pictures of Mr McGilvray's new 1911 now........
    Kilowatt3 likes this.

OD*
    Senior Moderator
    Great looking Super, @Nix .

I wouldn't be overly concerned with a small amount of frame/slide play. The bushing to slide, and barrel to slide fit is more critical than frame to slide.
    Nix, msgt/ret, SatCong and 4 others like this.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow.
    End the cycle of hatred, don’t give them a tomorrow."

NRA Patron Member

I was weaned on 1911s and S&W revolvers and they continue to be my favorites almost 50 years after the first time I shot a .45. I've owned and carried a wide variety of handguns in my lifetime, for work and personal protection, but my preference continues to be the 1911 and that is what I carry most of the time. I have no idea how many I've owned over the years, many dozens, certainly, and I must be the luckiest guy in the world because I've never had any real problems with them, whether factory new, used, or custom built, as long as they're properly lubed they run. I've never had one fail because it was to dirty, or too tight, or too loose, or too anything. And the new 1911s I've bought, especially recently, have impressed me with their accuracy. The few issues I've had over the years that affected function have been very minor, mostly related to bad mags, and I can remember a burr on the back of the slide stop of a SIG keeping it from locking back on empty mags (a few swipes with some emery cloth fixed that). My 1911s have, and continue to be, reliable, accurate, and easy to carry. I don't fret over capacity, maybe because I started out carrying 6 shot .38spls on duty, to me a 9 shot .45 is fine for carry.

I shot LEOSA quals on Wednesday, I could have used a custom G21, or a Hi Power, but I chose a 1911 and it did not let me down. I shot an almost perfect score, 49/50 and 50/50. The 1911 and I work well together and I don't see any reason to mess with success.

Quote Originally Posted by OD* View Post
    Thanks, I had one built on a Colt 'bout '96 I'd guess it was? Shortly before or after he started offering his own pistols anyway.
    '78/79, nice, you got a very early one.
    I have an affinity for "vintage" customs and have owned several from big name 'smiths of the time. The early guns from Wilson, Brown, and Baer are some real prizes, when the company namesakes were still building them. One of my favorites is a '96 Brown Special Forces, it was the first year they offered that model, only made a handful, and back then they used Baer slides and frames because they weren't making their own yet. It's a great shooting gun and the current EB guns may look better (questionable) but they sure don't shoot any better.

Quote Originally Posted by Nix View Post
    I have four (4) 1911's. This is in part because I can't afford an Ed Brown (). Ruger, Sig, Springfield, Kimber.
    Count up what you've got into those 4 and you could get yourself a Brown.

Quote Originally Posted by Nix View Post
    Brought the new 1911 home today:

Cleaned it, function checked, did a magazine feed check. All together, I'm quite pleased.

The frame to slide fit has a bit more play than I was hoping for. I'd read that Colt was making some tight slides, this one is fine but didn't need any significant lapping before leaving the factory. Lock seems good. I'll be interested how it does at the range.

To clean it, I broke it down as usual and also took out the extractor and firing pin. I will say that it was a bit of a bear to get the extractor out. I guess it is tensioned a bit more than the 45 ACP extractors are, and the claw wanted to hand onto the breech face for dear life. But, just hand checking the extractor, it seems tuned nicely.

I haven't made up my mind about the plastic main spring housing. I guess there are a few benefits to a plastic housing, so I'll probably live with it for a while.

The trigger is a very nice 3.5 pounds, but has a bit of pretravel or slack and a hint of mushiness. So after a test trip to the range, I'll try to get the slack out and crisp it up a touch. It's fine the way it is, but.....this is a 1911 so why not try to achieve a bit of perfection. What would JMB do?
    The Colt Competition series guns are great buys, well put together, and great shooters. I had a two-tone S70 .45ACP Competition and it was a great gun. I'd still have it but a buy on a custom shop built S70 reissue caught my eye and something had to give to help cove it, the Competition was that something.
    OD*, SatCong, msgt/ret and 4 others like this.
    "If violent crime is to be curbed, it is only the intended victim who can do it. The felon does not fear the police, and he fears neither judge or jury. Therefore what he must be taught to fear is his victim." - LtCol Jeff Cooper

OD*
    Senior Moderator
    Well said.

I'd love to see that Special Forces, Scott, if you would have pictures.
    SatCong, msgt/ret and Kilowatt3 like this.

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow.

NRA Patron Member

The 1911 was my first pistol and while it is a great firearm, I found my next pistol, the Browning Hi-Power to be better and then after that the CZ-75, Beretta 92FS, and SIG P226 to be better than the Hi-Power. While the 1911 is a great historical pistol I find it now too far behind the curve to be considered a top tier pistol.

Let me add that the .45 ACP round is still a viable SD round however it needs to be used in a more modern platform than the 1911.

Quote Originally Posted by m5215 View Post
    The 1911 was my first pistol and while it is a great firearm, I found my next pistol, the Browning Hi-Power to be better and then after that the CZ-75, Beretta 92FS, and SIG P226 to be better than the Hi-Power. While the 1911 is a great historical pistol I find it now too far behind the curve to be considered a top tier pistol.

Let me add that the .45 ACP round is still a viable SD round however it needs to be used in a more modern platform than the 1911.
    Too far behind what curve? The 1911 gives up nothing in accuracy, reliability, shootability, or ergonomics. Capacity is a common complaint but it's a large bore single stack pistol, capacity is what it is, like other single stacks. There is more to choosing a gun than capacity and the thickness and rearward weight bias of a double stack pistol is not everyone's idea of improvement, many people prefer the thin profile and balance of a single stack pistol. The single action trigger is pretty much universally accepted as the best pull in the business, unmatched by anything else out there. Another complaint is weight, but it's a steel gun, it weighs more than plastic, that weight helps to control recoil and makes the gun a more stable shooting platform. If it's an issue they make them with aluminum frames. Also, where carrying is concerned, that weight is rendered pretty much meaningless with quality gun belts and gear. And, if you HAVE to play the high volume 9mm card, the 2011 design retains all of the positive 1911 attributes with capacities that match or surpass the double stack competition.
    "If violent crime is to be curbed, it is only the intended victim who can do it. The felon does not fear the police, and he fears neither judge or jury. Therefore what he must be taught to fear is his victim." - LtCol Jeff Cooper

Quote Originally Posted by OD* View Post
    Well said.

I'd love to see that Special Forces, Scott, if you would have pictures.
    Here you go, OD*. When I got it it had an EB wedge MSH and mag well and oversize mag release, I swapped in a flat checkered MSH and had the frame bead blasted to clean it up. The sights are Heines, installed by the man himself back in the '90s, and Robar applied their Roguard finish to the slide in '98. It went back to EB in 2015 for health check and had a new barrel fitted. It has seen lots of competition range time and has plenty of miles on it but it still shoots great.

Attachment 306000
    Attachment 306002
    Attachment 306004
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1911- the perfect shooting handgun-20170307_005223.jpg  

1911- the perfect shooting handgun-20170316_075859.jpg  

1911- the perfect shooting handgun-20170316_080102.jpg  

OD*
    Senior Moderator
    Oh damn! That is purty!!

Thanks for posting it.

NRA Patron Member

Distinguished Member Array ETXhiker's Avatar
    Congrats on the new pistol, Nix. I have one just like it and it is my favorite pistol by a mile. I had wanted a .38 Super for decades and when I finally got one, it has not disappointed. I have tried quite a few different handloads through it and they just all seem to be inherently accurate. You're gonna love that one!
    OD*, WC145, Nix and 2 others like this.
    "There are some ideas that are so wrong, only a very intelligent person could believe them." - George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by WC145 View Post
    Too far behind what curve? The 1911 gives up nothing in accuracy, reliability, shootability, or ergonomics. Capacity is a common complaint but it's a large bore single stack pistol, capacity is what it is, like other single stacks. There is more to choosing a gun than capacity and the thickness and rearward weight bias of a double stack pistol is not everyone's idea of improvement, many people prefer the thin profile and balance of a single stack pistol. The single action trigger is pretty much universally accepted as the best pull in the business, unmatched by anything else out there. Another complaint is weight, but it's a steel gun, it weighs more than plastic, that weight helps to control recoil and makes the gun a more stable shooting platform. If it's an issue they make them with aluminum frames. Also, where carrying is concerned, that weight is rendered pretty much meaningless with quality gun belts and gear. And, if you HAVE to play the high volume 9mm card, the 2011 design retains all of the positive 1911 attributes with capacities that match or surpass the double stack competition.
    While the 1911 is certainly still a functional design I find it to not be an optimal one in this day and age and as we know the military felt the same way back in the mid 80's which prompted the XM-9 trials. While 9mm has its place I find the the combination of an all metal DA+SA .40 S&W pistol using a double stack magazine to be the best type of large bore pistol for me. While the 2011 design is an improvement over the 1911 it still was lacking in some areas. If I was shopping around for a .45 ACP pistol I would be looking at the SIG P220, EAA Witness, CZ-97 and although they are out of production, the S&W 4506 and Ruger P90.

VIP Member
    I only have one 1911, and it’s a range gun that I do not shoot often. And that’s good for my wallet.

I just had it out a week ago, and if I was’t old (with a diminishing memory), I would be shooting it a lot more. I had forgotten how much I enjoy the form factor, the trigger, the sights, the low recoil, the accuracy....everything about it. But I am resisting the urge to get another one....or six!
    "Once that bell rings, you're on your own. It's just you and the other guy.” - Joe Lewis

“I’m not obsessive about cleaning my guns. I like them like my martinis and my women....a ‘little’ dirty.....”

Member: GOA, SAF

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Sponsored Links