1911- the perfect shooting handgun - Page 7

1911- the perfect shooting handgun

This is a discussion on 1911- the perfect shooting handgun within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by Rockymonster But I am resisting the urge to get another one....or six! Good luck with that!...

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast
Like Tree634Likes

Thread: 1911- the perfect shooting handgun

OD*
    Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockymonster View Post
    But I am resisting the urge to get another one....or six!
    Good luck with that!
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow.
    End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

NRA Patron Member

Quote Originally Posted by m5215 View Post

Let me add that the .45 ACP round is still a viable SD round however it needs to be used in a more modern platform than the 1911.
    Why? It's been doing it right for over 100 years. Also one of the most copied weapons in the market today. It just works. It kept me from getting shot.
    Nix, OD*, msgt/ret and 3 others like this.
    NRA PATRON LIFE
    AzCDL Life Member
    BROWN WATER NAVY

Nix
    While the 1911 is certainly still a functional design I find it to not be an optimal one in this day and age and as we know the military felt the same way back in the mid 80's which prompted the XM-9 trials. While 9mm has its place I find the the combination of an all metal DA+SA .40 S&W pistol using a double stack magazine to be the best type of large bore pistol for me. While the 2011 design is an improvement over the 1911 it still was lacking in some areas. If I was shopping around for a .45 ACP pistol I would be looking at the SIG P220, EAA Witness, CZ-97 and although they are out of production, the S&W 4506 and Ruger P90.

I think, in the first phase of the trials, the 1911 emerged as the winner. Then the trials were changed to give the wonder nines an advantage. Or so the story goes.

While the 1911 may have fallen out of favor in most military units, there are still some units where the 1911 is being used. And that's true of FBI units and many LEO's, too. Which would seem to make it very much a current pistol.

(If I were in charge of purchasing pistols for the military, I'd select the G19 and G17 and be done with it. Cheap, reliable, easy to maintain, spare parts galore. It's an obvious choice.)

However, for personal use, we can select a better fighting pistol: the 1911 remains unrivaled as far as I'm concerned. Best trigger in any semiautomatic, accurate, durable, and reliable. I have a few other 45 Automatic platforms, none are as nice as my 1911's.

I carried an M9 during my service. I have a 92fs, still. It's a fine handgun, but it's no 1911.
    msgt/ret, OD*, WC145 and 3 others like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Nix
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockymonster View Post
    I only have one 1911, and itís a range gun that I do not shoot often. And thatís good for my wallet.

I just had it out a week ago, and if I wasít old (with a diminishing memory), I would be shooting it a lot more. I had forgotten how much I enjoy the form factor, the trigger, the sights, the low recoil, the accuracy....everything about it. But I am resisting the urge to get another one....or six!

With my older eyes, I am really enjoying the fiber optic front sight.

Just sayin'.......

Quote Originally Posted by SatCong View Post
    Why? It's been doing it right for over 100 years. Also one of the most copied weapons in the market today. It just works. It kept me from getting shot.
    It certainly works as it kept you from getting shot.

I just think there are newer .45 ACP pistol designs that work better and have more features than the 1911.

I have tried many of the new guns and I always go back to the 1911 for urban self-defense and big bore revolvers for woods self-defense. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
    msgt/ret, SatCong, OD* and 4 others like this.
    Second Amendment: The difference between politicians and rulers.
    US Navy - US Army, Retired
    NRA Benefactor Life Member

It certainly works as it kept you from getting shot.

I just think there are newer .45 ACP pistol designs that work better and have more features than the 1911.
    Like LimaCharlie said, If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
    msgt/ret, OD*, Instymp and 3 others like this.
    NRA PATRON LIFE
    AzCDL Life Member
    BROWN WATER NAVY

Nix

Many people confuse 'newer' with 'better'. Those of us who still value a good revolver think otherwise.

In 45 ACP, I have a Sig 227, an HK45c, and a couple of Glocks. I've shot 45 ACP through many more models. They are all fine pistols; I especially like the compact size of the G30 and the HK*. But none of them work better than my 1911's. Quite the opposite. They all work 'good enough', and that makes 'em handy as beater pistols. But when I want to shoot well, it's a 1911 I reach for.

I think 1911's require a bit more maintenance and fussing than the 227 or the G30. They are more complex to fully disassemble. The extractor needs a bit of attention, and it's a good idea to keep an eye on the firing pin stop. There are more parts to lose. So, in that sense, they are an "expert's pistol" and not for everybody. If you don't enjoy working with and maintaining pistols, the 1911 may not be a good choice for you. A Glock is a better choice. But for the pistol enthusiast, the 1911 can't be beat.

*While I do like the compact size of the G30 and HK45c, they are both a bit on the thick end of the spectrum. I find a Commander-sized 1911 to be more comfortable to actually carry. Your experience may be otherwise.
    WC145, G-man*, forester58 and 3 others like this.

Iíve carried a lot of different guns for various reasons thru the years, and other to adding to my experience, none of them provided any real advantage over the 1911.

The 1911 IS the best handgun out there, and only lesser shooters choose lesser guns:)
    SatCong, WC145, msgt/ret and 2 others like this.
    " Blessed is that man, who when facing death, thinks only of his front sight.Ē
    -Jeff Cooper

ď Looking around doesnít cost you anything; and itís a healthy habitĒ
    -Joe Foss

Distinguished Member Array ca survivor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AzQkr View Post
    1911- the perfect shooting handgun

Only in the hands of an expert. I've seen far too many 1911 shooters who couldn't hit a barn door from the inside. It's not the bow, it's always the indian
    I was going thru the fundamental teaching a neighbor from the keys how to shoot his Glock 23, at the end of a string he put a new target and I handle him my 1911 S&W SC, I explained about the safety and he shot the first round, he turned around with a big smile on his face and said WOW, he had hit the X on the first shot, he still owns the Glock but have I'm thinking a couple of 1911s one is a Defender from Colt.
    LimaCharlie, Nix, airslot and 5 others like this.

Nix

VIP Member
    Speaking of "1911's", I just took delivery of a rare Pony indeed! Found another Colt Government Model Double Action, NIB.
    Colt calls it a 1911, but many will disagree, myself included. Cool pistol anyway!

1911- the perfect shooting handgun-gda-20191111_r600.jpg
    WC145, Bill801, Nix and 3 others like this.
    Regards,
    Jim
    NRA Life Member
    Charter Member (#00002) of the DC .41 LC Society - "Get Heeled! No, really!"
    He that cannot reason is a fool. He that will not is a bigot. He that dares not is a slave. - Andrew Carnegie

VIP Member
    ...While the 2011 design is an improvement over the 1911 it still was lacking in some areas. If I was shopping around for a .45 ACP pistol I would be looking at the SIG P220, EAA Witness, CZ-97 and although they are out of production, the S&W 4506 and Ruger P90.
    Can't really fault the P220, and I have no experience with the CZ-97, but I do have an EAA Witness in .45 ACP. While it's a great pistol for what it is, I can assure you it's not in the same league at all as a quality 1911.

I don't have any of the statospherically-priced 1911's, but consider Colt, Baer, and Dan Wesson to be the "sweet spot" for quality vs. price. The EAA/Tanfoglio is a great value in a budget pistol, but doesn't really belong in the same safe with a quality 1911. Just sayin'.

YMMV.
    WC145 likes this.
    Regards,
    Jim
    NRA Life Member
    Charter Member (#00002) of the DC .41 LC Society - "Get Heeled! No, really!"
    He that cannot reason is a fool. He that will not is a bigot. He that dares not is a slave. - Andrew Carnegie

Twelve years ago, when I got back into firearms and self defense, my first purchase was a full size M&P 45 followed by a M&P 9c. I carry and shoot both equally well. The 45 did require some trigger work.

Over the last few months, I acquired a pair of 1911s. A Colt 9mm Competition Series and a Rock Island Tact Ultra FS in 45. I finally got them both to the range a week ago. For someone with NO history with the 1911 platform, I was amazed at how well I shot them. They come to hand so naturally it's crazy. The 9mm is like shooting a 22 the way it soaks up recoil. The 45 is softer shooting than the M&P.

A few more range sessions and they'll both go into the rotation.

John Browning was indeed a genius.
    MY RIGHTS DON'T END WHERE YOUR FEELINGS BEGIN

The situation will NEVER BE THE WAY YOU WANT, it WILL BE THE WAY IT IS. You must be FLEXIBLE ENOUGH TO ADAPT and just "DEAL WITH IT".

Quote Originally Posted by airslot View Post
    Twelve years ago, when I got back into firearms and self defense, my first purchase was a full size M&P 45 followed by a M&P 9c. I carry and shoot both equally well. The 45 did require some trigger work.

Over the last few months, I acquired a pair of 1911s. A Colt 9mm Competition Series and a Rock Island Tact Ultra FS in 45. I finally got them both to the range a week ago. For someone with NO history with the 1911 platform, I was amazed at how well I shot them. They come to hand so naturally it's crazy. The 9mm is like shooting a 22 the way it soaks up recoil. The 45 is softer shooting than the M&P.

A few more range sessions and they'll both go into the rotation.

John Browning was indeed a genius.
    In the same boat. At 61 I bought a Para 1911 lightweight commander used since I kind of always wanted to try a 1911. I find it the most "natural" shooting handgun I have owned and I have owned 2 P220's a P227 a full size EAA Witness 45 and a S&W 4506-1. I liked them all quite a bit but, the 1911 still comes out on top. I can say that actually owning, shooting, carrying and maintaining a 1911 killed a lot of myths I have read on the gun. I have yet to find any ammo it doesn't shoot well and yes I am a little OCD about gun maintenance but, that goes for all my guns and other tools as well.
    Nix, airslot, LimaCharlie and 4 others like this.

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Sponsored Links