1911- the perfect shooting handgun - Page 8

1911- the perfect shooting handgun

This is a discussion on 1911- the perfect shooting handgun within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by forester58 I have yet to find any ammo it doesn't shoot well and yes I am a little OCD about gun maintenance ...

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast
Like Tree634Likes

Thread: 1911- the perfect shooting handgun

Quote Originally Posted by forester58 View Post
    I have yet to find any ammo it doesn't shoot well and yes I am a little OCD about gun maintenance but, that goes for all my guns and other tools as well.
    There is a old saying, take care of your weapon and it takes care of you.
    forester58, OD*, msgt/ret and 2 others like this.
    NRA PATRON LIFE
    AzCDL Life Member
    BROWN WATER NAVY

Quote Originally Posted by SatCong View Post
    There is a old saying, take care of your weapon and it takes care of you.
    True that.
    I stripped, cleaned and lubed both 1911s before I took them to the range. The Colt was bone dry and the RI was full of factory lube. Neither gun had more than a couple boxes thru them before I got them and neither had been serviced before. I wonder if that had anything to do with them being for sale. Their negligence, my gain.
    MY RIGHTS DON'T END WHERE YOUR FEELINGS BEGIN

The situation will NEVER BE THE WAY YOU WANT, it WILL BE THE WAY IT IS. You must be FLEXIBLE ENOUGH TO ADAPT and just "DEAL WITH IT".

Nix
    I got the new 38 Super to the range today.

What a sweet shooting pistol!

My first dozen rounds or so were a bit erratic and didn't group very well. Not sure why. But after that I settled down and focused a bit better.

A couple of notes on that target: 9 rounds @ 10 yards; there used to be a small dot of tape for a bullseye in the middle which got shot off the paper; the target is flipped counter clockwise 90ļ for the photo, so I was wandering vertically, but am fairly pleased with the horizontal spread. Pushing slightly to the right..

There is just nothing like shooting a 1911. They are brilliant.

I ran 250 rounds of various bullet weights through the 38, including 50 handloads. I did field strip it and wipe it clean with a rag after 150 rounds, relube, and then shot the last 100 rounds. As you would expect, no hiccups, no misfires, no issues (that weren't related to the shooter's lack of skill). Didn't even adjust the sights.

I'm very happy with this little beastie so far.
    SatCong, airslot, OD* and 9 others like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

OD*
    Senior Moderator
    Nicely done, @Nix .
    Nix, airslot, SatCong and 3 others like this.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow.
    End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

NRA Patron Member

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by ca survivor View Post
    I was going thru the fundamental teaching a neighbor from the keys how to shoot his Glock 23, at the end of a string he put a new target and I handle him my 1911 S&W SC, I explained about the safety and he shot the first round, he turned around with a big smile on his face and said WOW, he had hit the X on the first shot, he still owns the Glock but have I'm thinking a couple of 1911s one is a Defender from Colt.
    Son-in-law's first handgun was a S&W SDVE in 9mm. I spent a lot of time coaching him, then I let him shoot a 1911 in .45 and 9mm. Instant infatuation! A couple of weeks later he got a stainless Springfield Mil-Spec .45 which he instantly started shooting WAY better than his Tupperware 9mm. Lucky him, the trigger on that gun breaks at barely 4 pounds!
    OD*, Nix, airslot and 4 others like this.
    Smitty
    AZCDL Life Member
    NRA Patron Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Quote Originally Posted by m5215 View Post
    I just think there are newer .45 ACP pistol designs that work better and have more features than the 1911.
    I'm interested to hear more. I'm not sure how, given equally reliable designs, one might "work better" than another. Also curious what features you feel the 1911 is lacking by comparison.
    OD*, G-man*, Havok and 1 others like this.
    "If violent crime is to be curbed, it is only the intended victim who can do it. The felon does not fear the police, and he fears neither judge or jury. Therefore what he must be taught to fear is his victim." - LtCol Jeff Cooper

Nix
    Quote Originally Posted by WC145 View Post
    curious what features you feel the 1911 is lacking by comparison.
    WC145, I'd expect you to know better, but here you go:

1. Recycled, biodegradable, fair-trade plastic frame (Go green or go home)
    2. GPS
    3. Bluetooth & Wifi (Who carries a pistol without Wifi these days?)
    4. eSelf-cleaning feature with automatic software upgrades (see limitation #3).
    5. Laser beams (GPS compatible)
    6. No safeties (sort of a double negative there: it's the lack of lack of a feature.)
    HotBrass45, WC145 and airslot like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Nix View Post
    WC145, I'd expect you to know better, but here you go:

1. Recycled, biodegradable, fair-trade plastic frame (Go green or go home)
    2. GPS
    3. Bluetooth & Wifi (Who carries a pistol without Wifi these days?)
    4. eSelf-cleaning feature with automatic software upgrades (see limitation #3).
    5. Laser beams (GPS compatible)
    6. No safeties (sort of a double negative there: it's the lack of lack of a feature.)
    Hahahaha! Excellent points, thanks for the list. I'm going to start liquidating my 1911s and so I can fill the safe with newer/better/higher tech stuff. Are these new ubertechnogreen firearms solar powered or should I stock up on batteries, too?
    "If violent crime is to be curbed, it is only the intended victim who can do it. The felon does not fear the police, and he fears neither judge or jury. Therefore what he must be taught to fear is his victim." - LtCol Jeff Cooper

Nix
    Oh, sheeesh!

I just realized NONE of my 1911's can plug into a recharging station!
    WC145, Rockymonster and airslot like this.

Quote Originally Posted by WC145 View Post
    I'm interested to hear more. I'm not sure how, given equally reliable designs, one might "work better" than another. Also curious what features you feel the 1911 is lacking by comparison.
    While the 1911 has a great trigger I have found that it's better to have the added flexibility of DA+SA with a good trigger rather than SAO with a great trigger.

A single stack magazine in a full size service pistol was adequate many years ago but double stack magazines have been around since the late 30's and a lack of one on a full size pistol is an issue. I would gladly have a slightly larger grip size to accommodate a double stack magazine.

So show me a DA/SA, double stack magazine 1911 and I will give serious consideration to buying it.

Nix
    Para USA makes a double stack. Someone did make a DA/SA 1911.....not sure it ever took off. But I could be wrong about that.

So show me a DA/SA,
    No way I would want DA, when I can have a sweet SA trigger.
    OD*, Havok, WC145 and 2 others like this.
    NRA PATRON LIFE
    AzCDL Life Member
    BROWN WATER NAVY

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Nix View Post
    Para USA makes a double stack. Someone did make a DA/SA 1911.....not sure it ever took off. But I could be wrong about that.
    You might be thinking of the Para LDA. I don't recall ever seeing a true TDA 1911 pattern pistol.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Distinguished Member
    It was the best until its designer came out with the updated and improved model.

NRA Life Member - Member GA Carry Organization

While the 1911 has a great trigger I have found that it's better to have the added flexibility of DA+SA with a good trigger rather than SAO with a great trigger.

A single stack magazine in a full size service pistol was adequate many years ago but double stack magazines have been around since the late 30's and a lack of one on a full size pistol is an issue. I would gladly have a slightly larger grip size to accommodate a double stack magazine.

So show me a DA/SA, double stack magazine 1911 and I will give serious consideration to buying it.
    Then it wouldnít be a 1911. My Glock 30 gets the job done just as well as any 1911 Iíve shot. However, itís not as nice to shoot.

No matter how good of a job a Honda does of getting me to work, a Ferrari is still nicer to drive..
    OD*, Rockymonster, Nix and 2 others like this.
    We get the government we deserve.

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Sponsored Links