Defensive Carry banner

1911- the perfect shooting handgun

10K views 149 replies 48 participants last post by  OD* 
#1 ·
I have plenty of practical handguns, semis and revolvers. Some are "tupperware," others are steel, most are both. I've shot many, but I don't own a 1911 (though I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night...).

Is there a better shooting, more accurate handgun than a stock 1911 in .45 caliber? Boring ergos, heavy to carry- but is there a "better" handgun platform/caliber combo if you want to "get the job done?"

I can make the case for revolvers- a good wheel gun trumps all when it comes to simple operation and power. But for power, capacity, accuracy all rolled into one, does the 1911 win?

Start your engines....

#84 ·
The 1911 was my first pistol and while it is a great firearm, I found my next pistol, the Browning Hi-Power to be better and then after that the CZ-75, Beretta 92FS, and SIG P226 to be better than the Hi-Power. While the 1911 is a great historical pistol I find it now too far behind the curve to be considered a top tier pistol.

Let me add that the .45 ACP round is still a viable SD round however it needs to be used in a more modern platform than the 1911.

#85 ·
Too far behind what curve? The 1911 gives up nothing in accuracy, reliability, shootability, or ergonomics. Capacity is a common complaint but it's a large bore single stack pistol, capacity is what it is, like other single stacks. There is more to choosing a gun than capacity and the thickness and rearward weight bias of a double stack pistol is not everyone's idea of improvement, many people prefer the thin profile and balance of a single stack pistol. The single action trigger is pretty much universally accepted as the best pull in the business, unmatched by anything else out there. Another complaint is weight, but it's a steel gun, it weighs more than plastic, that weight helps to control recoil and makes the gun a more stable shooting platform. If it's an issue they make them with aluminum frames. Also, where carrying is concerned, that weight is rendered pretty much meaningless with quality gun belts and gear. And, if you HAVE to play the high volume 9mm card, the 2011 design retains all of the positive 1911 attributes with capacities that match or surpass the double stack competition.

#88 ·
Congrats on the new pistol, Nix. I have one just like it and it is my favorite pistol by a mile. I had wanted a .38 Super for decades and when I finally got one, it has not disappointed. I have tried quite a few different handloads through it and they just all seem to be inherently accurate. You're gonna love that one!

#90 ·
I only have one 1911, and it’s a range gun that I do not shoot often. And that’s good for my wallet.

I just had it out a week ago, and if I was’t old (with a diminishing memory), I would be shooting it a lot more. I had forgotten how much I enjoy the form factor, the trigger, the sights, the low recoil, the accuracy....everything about it. But I am resisting the urge to get another one....or six!

#99 ·
I’ve carried a lot of different guns for various reasons thru the years, and other to adding to my experience, none of them provided any real advantage over the 1911.

The 1911 IS the best handgun out there, and only lesser shooters choose lesser guns:)

#102 ·
Speaking of "1911's", I just took delivery of a rare Pony indeed! Found another Colt Government Model Double Action, NIB.
Colt calls it a 1911, but many will disagree, myself included. Cool pistol anyway!

Gun Firearm Trigger Gun accessory Starting pistol

#104 ·
Twelve years ago, when I got back into firearms and self defense, my first purchase was a full size M&P 45 followed by a M&P 9c. I carry and shoot both equally well. The 45 did require some trigger work.

Over the last few months, I acquired a pair of 1911s. A Colt 9mm Competition Series and a Rock Island Tact Ultra FS in 45. I finally got them both to the range a week ago. For someone with NO history with the 1911 platform, I was amazed at how well I shot them. They come to hand so naturally it's crazy. The 9mm is like shooting a 22 the way it soaks up recoil. The 45 is softer shooting than the M&P.

A few more range sessions and they'll both go into the rotation.

John Browning was indeed a genius.

#105 ·
In the same boat. At 61 I bought a Para 1911 lightweight commander used since I kind of always wanted to try a 1911. I find it the most "natural" shooting handgun I have owned and I have owned 2 P220's a P227 a full size EAA Witness 45 and a S&W 4506-1. I liked them all quite a bit but, the 1911 still comes out on top. I can say that actually owning, shooting, carrying and maintaining a 1911 killed a lot of myths I have read on the gun. I have yet to find any ammo it doesn't shoot well and yes I am a little OCD about gun maintenance but, that goes for all my guns and other tools as well.

#108 ·
I got the new 38 Super to the range today.

What a sweet shooting pistol! :hand10:

My first dozen rounds or so were a bit erratic and didn't group very well. Not sure why. But after that I settled down and focused a bit better.

A couple of notes on that target: 9 rounds @ 10 yards; there used to be a small dot of tape for a bullseye in the middle which got shot off the paper; the target is flipped counter clockwise 90º for the photo, so I was wandering vertically, but am fairly pleased with the horizontal spread. Pushing slightly to the right..

There is just nothing like shooting a 1911. They are brilliant.

I ran 250 rounds of various bullet weights through the 38, including 50 handloads. I did field strip it and wipe it clean with a rag after 150 rounds, relube, and then shot the last 100 rounds. As you would expect, no hiccups, no misfires, no issues (that weren't related to the shooter's lack of skill). Didn't even adjust the sights.

I'm very happy with this little beastie so far. :veryhappy:

#121 ·
Yes he did and the Hi-Power was the second pistol I purchased and it did replace my 1911. It's interesting to note that John Browning was only marginally content with the 1911 design and thought the Hi-Power was superior. I think he would be surprised at the following the 1911 still has over all these years here in the US. It amazes me as the 1911 and the Ford Model T vehicle are of the same vintage and having seen the Model T in depth as I had a relative that had one I can appreciate old vintage items like that but to say that they are still viable today it quite a stretch but yes you can still drive the Model T out and around town if you really want to.

#124 ·
The 1911 is arguably the most successful pistol in history.

I suppose a couple of DA revolvers might makes the same claim. The Hi-Power would also be a contender.

But, so far, just my opinion, we never got anything better.

(JMB wanted to design a 200 grain bullet for the Army, the Army wanted a 230 grain round. The Army wanted a safety and a grip safety, so JMB added those. Otherwise I think the 1911 was pretty much all JMB. )

#127 ·
Thats pretty much my recollection. I own both the BHP and 1911, and I so far I haven’t found anything significant about the BHP that makes it better.

I reckon the vast majority agree, as the BHP is out of production and you can’t swing a dead cat without hitting a current production 1911.

#133 ·
Ask any superior pistolsmith: The Hi-Power's trigger action is a true horror, and almost impossible to tweak into a reliable, repeatable, crisp pull.
Further, its thumb safety is too small, and not in exactly the right place.
Further yet, many people find the Hi-Power's grip to be too fat.

In opposition, the 1911's barrel-link system is not the best solution to the problem, but the Hi-Power's solution is much better.
And the original form of the 1911's grip safety does not work well with its thumb-safety lever. That's why we now have the "memory bump" on the grip safety.
Further, the 1911's barrel bushing was a bad idea, and nothing has ever made it better.
But the 1911's trigger action is superb, and very easy for a really good pistolsmith to tweak.

The most interesting thing about the 1911 is that no tools are ever needed to detail strip the entire mechanism.
As I understand it, that was a US Government requirement.
Special tools are required to remove-and-replace the grip-screw bushings, the plunger tube, and the front sight, but those are considered to be permanent parts.

#135 ·
I had zero issues with the M-14 in Viet Nam in 1965/1966. I had zero issues with the M-16 in Viet Nam in 1970/1971. I didn't start hearing about issues until the internet came along. In my opinion, the issues are way overblown by internet myths.

Photo caption Movie Album cover Photography Poster

#137 ·
I had zero issues with the M-14 in Viet Nam in 1965/1966. I had zero issues with the M-16 in Viet Nam in 1970/1971. I didn't start hearing about issues until the internet came along. In my opinion, the issues are way overblown by internet myths.
Glad to hear that you did not have any problems with the weapons you were issued. I do not wish anyone except for the enemy to have to deal with a questionable firearm. There was considerable official correspondence about issues with the M-16 and efforts were implemented to address issues experienced out in the field. Eventually things stabilized with the rifle and it became quite reliable.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.