Defensive Carry banner

1911- the perfect shooting handgun

10K views 149 replies 48 participants last post by  OD* 
#1 ·
I have plenty of practical handguns, semis and revolvers. Some are "tupperware," others are steel, most are both. I've shot many, but I don't own a 1911 (though I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night...).

Is there a better shooting, more accurate handgun than a stock 1911 in .45 caliber? Boring ergos, heavy to carry- but is there a "better" handgun platform/caliber combo if you want to "get the job done?"

I can make the case for revolvers- a good wheel gun trumps all when it comes to simple operation and power. But for power, capacity, accuracy all rolled into one, does the 1911 win?

Start your engines....

#5 ·
This topic is going to get..lively. The 1911 platform is in no way perfect, especially if you stick to mass produced ones. They can be picky, they need a lot more TLC than your Glock (in that you really don't want to run a 1911 dirty and dry like you can other guns), their weight to capacity ratio is terrible, and they cost a lot more most often than your plastic fantastics. On paper, they're outdated, terrible carry guns for the way most people carry these days. But, get one in your hand, and I doubt you'll care about the downsides. I've found no other pistol that seems to just go straight into place the moment your fingers wrap around it. Nothing feels as "right" in my hands nor points as naturally. It's almost like it's a finger on my hand, it just goes where I want it to without any effort. Nothing shoots better for me either, because of all of the aforementioned reasons. I can shoot very well with all of my current guns..but my 1911s are effortless. It's like the rounds aim themselves. Of course this is all my opinion and I cherish my revolvers, my CZs, etc...but it isn't the same. The damned things just warm my heart and I'm at my best with one in my hands.

#6 ·
I have plenty of practical handguns, semis and revolvers. Some are "tupperware," others are steel, most are both. I've shot many, but I don't own a 1911 (though I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night...).

Is there a better shooting, more accurate handgun than a stock 1911 in .45 caliber? Boring ergos, heavy to carry- but is there a "better" handgun platform/caliber combo if you want to "get the job done?"

I can make the case for revolvers- a good wheel gun trumps all when it comes to simple operation and power. But for power, capacity, accuracy all rolled into one, does the 1911 win?

Start your engines....
9mm +P energy is around 431
45+P energy is around 461

Accuracy? The most accurate handguns are ones that have fixed barrels like HKp7's, Walther pp series.

As for combat accuracy, any glock/sigP series/HK will shoot as accurate as a 1911. Overall ergos could be debated, but a P35 Browning is every bit as ergo as the 1911.

It all comes down to personal preference. I carried one and many times two 1911's on the streets professionally for almost 3 decades. I've got somewhere over 500K through various gov 1911s. I carry one on occasion still today, but there are just as many other guns in other calibers that give the same performance as the 1911 in my hands as well.

It's always the indian, never the bow that makes a gun perform either superlatively or with mediocrity.

#12 ·
9mm +P energy is around 431
45+P energy is around 461

Accuracy? The most accurate handguns are ones that have fixed barrels like HKp7's, Walther pp series.
Don't know, Les Baer says my Baer's can do 3'' at 50 yards. I didn't say I could at my age. But 3'' at 50 yards is not bad. :yup:

#7 ·
It's a highly personal decision/choice, but - it wins for me. Sig, CZ, Kahr, Glock, Kel-Tec, Taurus... the one I reach for first is a 1911. Maybe because I'm a middle-aged guy whose first CF handgun was a 1911 and I've been shooting 'em for 27 years, but it's just a natural pointer in my hand and the operation is simple (yes, even including the thumb safety) and intuitive.

Before I bought my first one, I looked long and hard at what the market had to offer. The "wondernine" craze was in full swing. The S&W 469 was pretty new then and caught my attention, the Star M28 was a prime contender, but in .45 the options were pretty limited. I chose the caliber first and the gun second, and never had a lingering doubt. My first 1911 was a Springer 1911-A1 and it was (and still is) a better shooter than I am, and other than a broken extractor (which should have been replaced at the 10K mark) it's never let me down. Boringly reliable and minute of bad guy accurate.

#8 ·
Having owned my SR1911 for six months now, I think I'm on the bandwagon. It has a lot going for it, and my other pistols have been mostly gathering dust.

I think there's an argument to be made that the design of a series 70 trigger can't be improved upon. Ergonomics are fantastic. A well-made example is extremely reliable, durable and accurate.

It's also an excellent CC handgun. I find mine (4.25" barrel) to be every bit as concealable as my Glock 23. It's slightly longer and very slightly taller, but that's more than made up for by the extremely thin slide and frame. It rides IWB wonderfully. I don't mind the weight of all-stainless, but those who do have the option of aluminum frames. Loaded, a Lightweight Commander-style 1911 is only five ounces heavier than a G19.

As for capacity, yeah, it runs dry faster. But it's very easy to carry spare mags. Two 1911 mags take about as much space as one G19 mag.

#10 ·

I love shooting 1911s, but I dont like carrying them because of the thumb safety I guess. I used to carry one, but I went away from it. Still love shooting them at the range though. Its like the Ferrari that I bring out on a nice sunny day.

#11 ·
I've got 1911's and I've carried them, keep going back to Glocks.
I shoot my Glock 21, 22 and 35 just as well and they impress me as "soft shooting".

A 1911 is slim and conceals easily IWB, but the 22 and 35 are fairly slim too. (35 seems big but its length / height are very similar to 1911)

Limiting options to flush fit, 1911 magazine is 7 or 8 rounds 45 acp.
13 rounds 45 acp in Glock 21.
15 rounds in Glock 22/35
Glock 21: Federal HST 230 gr. @ 863 fps / 380# KE
Glock 22: Federal HST 180 gr. @ 996 fps / 397# KE
Glock 35: Federal HST 180 @ 1,019 fps / 415# KE

If I had to live in a 10 round state a 1911 would have more appeal, still the Glock 30SF (10 rounds 45 acp) would be a competitor for my holster.
Although the capacity discrepancy is reduced, 1911 still comes up deficient.
I'd carry two spare mags with the 1911 vs one with the Glock, but continuity of fire factors for something.
30SF does not have the same "shootability" (for me) as the larger Glocks, advantage 1911.

#48 ·
Two days later...

Thanks OP. :aargh4:
This thread caused me to put 1911's IWB - again.
That is always a mistake, because although the Glock 22/35 is "fairly slim" it is not the same slim as a 1911. :doh:
A Glock 21SF seems rather thick when compared to the 1911. :02:
So slim IWB
The feel of the grip in my hand.
3rd time in one year, back to 1911. :icon_redface:

#13 ·
It is personal preference beyond a doubt, as virtually all quality firearms can outshoot the shooter. Once you agree with that, then it is all about freedom. Freedom to choose what you want and what is best for you. Unencumbered by rumor, trends, internet wisdom, marketing, or price.

#15 ·
100 Years of service history, many more years of personal history will long engender the 1911 frame to us trigger pullers. Most of us military types and more than a few LE types have many hours of protection under our belts, courtesy of the 1911. Yes, I'm sure there will be those who prefer other more modern weapons now for their capacity and weight, and I admit to being one of them, but if we had to choose only one . . . . it would certainly be a difficult decision for me.

#17 ·
Cavaet: I no longer carry a 1911 and have not yet messed around with .45 Super.

However, one thing to bear in mind is a simple conversion over to .45 Super ups the power from <500ft.lbs to 600-700 ft.lbs.

On paper, the .45 Super modernizes the original Browning design and elevates the .45 into lower level 10mm territory. Like I said I have no experience with it, but I could definitely see myself putting together an all steel .45 Super Commander in the future.

#20 ·
Having just purchased another 1911, I can agree it shoots amazingly well, better than the majority of my striker pistols. My carry gun has been a Shield in .45, however I am mixing in the 1911 (Range Officer Elite Champion) as it is small enough to conceal and not all that much heavier (at least to me). It does have 7+1 so the same ammo as the Shield. I did get away from 1911's because of the safety, but having practiced drawing and such with it, I feel comfortable that it won't be a problem. I still love the Shield, but there is something about a quality 1911 that just feels so right.

Reactions: WC145 and maxwell97
#21 ·
Having purchased my first 1911 in 1969, I've never been without one since. Yes, I tried numerous plastic wonders but never kept them. A few years ago I sold off all the plastic and kept only the 1911's. I now have 7 of them in 45 and 10mm. FOR ME, they are the ideal handgun for my needs and uses. CC,HD, and range use; they will do it all, and that's all I can ask for. They are no more maintenance heavy than the plastic was. As with all semi's, magazines are the critical point in successful reliability. For me spray and pray capacity is a waste of ammo, besides 2 extra mags are easy enough to carry, not large and bulky. To me, they are no more difficult to carry than any other gun their size (I don't and wont own or carry micro or subcompact handguns). Just go with works best for you, that's all that matters.

#22 ·
45 holds no special place around my gun safe or reloading bench Only 1911 we have my wife claimed as her EDC a kimber ultra 9mm !!

I have carried a 40 sw since 1990 as my primary carry pistol firestar M40 then a tp40 kahr and now a P320c for the last 2.6 years filled with 13+1 of 155gr 40sw at 1318fps 600ft ftlbs loads but as handgun get smaller so does the cartridge . Have a s&w 669 as a carry option

#23 ·
My primary carry handgun 95% of the time is a 5" 1911 in either .45 ACP or 10mm. I am most accurate shooting a 5" 1911 or a single-action revolver with a longer barrel for a longer sight radius. My pocket BUG 100% of the time is a Sig P938 9mm which is a miniature 1911 without the grip safety. I go to my Glock G40 10mm or my Glock G35 .40 S&W in very remote rural areas for added capacity. I go to a revolver in .45 Colt, .44 magnum, or .454 Casull in bear, moose, or cougar country.

#24 ·
I had a love/hate relationship with the 1911. I could field strip and reassemble one in my teens, but I could never shoot one well until I spent an afternoon with a Navy Senior Chief SAMI (Small Arms Marksmanship Instructor). He use the "pencil technique" to teach me to shoot expert with the 1911 in only one hour. I went on to compete on a Navy shooting team with a match-tuned 1911, I got to shoot many thousands of rounds at taxpayer expense and I got really good with it. Historically, I also have to recognize that the 1911 has probably taken out more enemies of our society than any other handgun design. I also have to respect that despite it's age, it is still carried by elite military and LEO units and it is used by many combat shooting competitors. If it were not a great, timeless design I don't think that would be true.

I don't think it is the greatest gun in the world. I don't think there can be such a title anymore, because there are too many great designs out there that fill a plethora of different niches and prefernces. I don't even think the 1911 is even the greatest Browning design. I think that would go to the BHP.

But I really love the 1911, despite its critics. I will always own one. I have a Colt MK IV Series '70. It has been a "safe queen" for a few years, but I just bought Wilson 8-round mags for it and I plan to take it in for a reliability job and sight upgrade soon. It will be my "heavy carry" gun. For me, YMMV, it inspires confidence, I know I can hit well with it and it has a great trigger, right out of the box.

#27 ·

Start your engines....
Of course! But it depends on what "the job" is. There is no way my Colt Combat Commander shoots as straight as the Gold Cup, or the Springer Trophy Match, both BTW have target sights that would make it harder to shoot in a low-light, defensive situation.

If you're talking sheer accuracy then I think you're right about wheel guns. I have Colt and Ruger revolvers that are extremely accurate. When I shoot from a pistol rest they're easily under 3" @ 50yds. They also have the edge because emergency/failure procedure is to pull the trigger again.

As was stated, you're not going to get as much precision with a floating barrel, period.

Guns are like knives. Just about any knife that's sharp will skin a deer.
Most used to look like this:

Now this is the style:

I like the more modern style. I like a short, scalpel-like blade. I find I have a lot more control and can trim what I'm not going to eat as I'm dressing. To me it works better than with a longer knife, but I can certainly dress a deer with an old school skinner as well. The place I take my deer the guy uses a big, long, old-school skinning knife. He is about ten times faster than I am, and probably does 15-20 deer an hour using a chain hoist to pull off the skin once he makes his cuts.

Yea, I can dress game, but no one is going to pay me to do it.

It comes down to preference and what tool you like to use.

Reactions: AzQkr
#32 ·
Interesting that this thread should appear just now. Only yesterday, a young gun enthusiast co-worker and I had a great conversation along these lines. I'm not ex-military, or LEO - just a long-time handgun enthusiast. I shoot a good bit, although not the hundreds or thousands of rounds per month that some do. In the last 40 years I've had upwards of 100 handguns. My EDC's are plastic fantastics of the M&P flavor.

I related to my young friend how I just really seem to shoot a 1911 better than any other pistol. He asked me, "If you were facing a BG fifty yards away who was pointing a gun at you, and all you had was a pistol to defend yourself with, what would you want it to be?" My answer was my DW Valor. I answered pretty much without thinking, so I guess for me, the 1911 has proven itself well enough! :yup:

#35 ·
The best 1911 I ever owned was a Wilson Combat I owned in the late 70"s. There is no need for me to own anything else, I considered the WC 1911 the best.

I now consider double stack 9 DA/SA to be the best and my choice is CZ's and Sigs. CZ's and Cajun Gunworks put together some very fine guns. They shoot very flat and accurate.

#43 ·
Thanks, I had one built on a Colt 'bout '96 I'd guess it was? Shortly before or after he started offering his own pistols anyway.

'78/79, nice, you got a very early one.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.