.375 Winchester

.375 Winchester

This is a discussion on .375 Winchester within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Who's got one? Tell me about your experience with it....

Like Tree20Likes
  • 2 Post By atctimmy
  • 2 Post By ETXhiker
  • 7 Post By gasmitty
  • 3 Post By bmcgilvray
  • 1 Post By buckeye .45
  • 2 Post By OldVet
  • 3 Post By atctimmy

Thread: .375 Winchester

.375 Winchester

Who's got one?

Tell me about your experience with it.
    bmcgilvray and ETXhiker like this.
    In the beginning was the word. Before all else, the word. So we speak as if words matter, because they do.
    ― Dean Koontz

Distinguished Member Array ETXhiker's Avatar
    About 25 years ago, a pawn shop nearby had 2 Winchester 94 AE rifles, in .356 and .375 Win., both in perfect used condition. He wanted $250 for the .356 and $200 for the .375. I wanted them both, but couldn't afford it, so I bought just the .356, which I later sold. I have kicked my self ever since for selling that gun and maybe even more, for passing on that .375. I keep thinking I will buy one off of Gunbroker at some point, but they are getting pretty spendy these days. What a perfect deer gun for East Texas that .375 would be. *sniff*
    atctimmy and gasmitty like this.
    "There are some ideas that are so wrong, only a very intelligent person could believe them." - George Orwell

Senior Moderator
    I had to look up the loading specs on the .375 Win, and the Lyman manual has some good thumbnail histories prefacing each cartridge. They described the .375 as a "reborn" .38-55, but given the 25% higher velocities I'd say that's a substantial understatement.

What's neat is that in a cartridge the same length as a .30-30, you can launch a fat .377 dia 255 gr bullet at close to 2000 ft/sec - sounds like a .30-30 on steroids. Not in the same league as the .300 Savage, but better downrange energy than a .44 magnum in the same lever gun and with a much better ballistic coefficient. Given the relative scarcity and cost ($2 a round!) of factory ammo, reloading becomes an economic necessity, but with that nearly straight-wall case I think it would be fun.
    Smitty
    AZCDL Life Member
    NRA Patron Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    I had to look up the loading specs on the .375 Win, and the Lyman manual has some good thumbnail histories prefacing each cartridge. They described the .375 as a "reborn" .38-55, but given the 25% higher velocities I'd say that's a substantial understatement.

What's neat is that in a cartridge the same length as a .30-30, you can launch a fat .377 dia 255 gr bullet at close to 2000 ft/sec - sounds like a .30-30 on steroids. Not in the same league as the .300 Savage, but better downrange energy than a .44 magnum in the same lever gun and with a much better ballistic coefficient. Given the relative scarcity and cost ($2 a round!) of factory ammo, reloading becomes an economic necessity, but with that nearly straight-wall case I think it would be fun.
    Nice research Smitty.

Weve got one in the family but Ive never had the pleasure of range time with it. I know that its considered a thumper for the shooter and on the receiving end. Its owned by the same guy that takes his 358 Norma to the woods every year. Theres that.
    Savage Heartland

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

Senior Moderator
    I like the notion of a .375 Winchester as a short to medium range deer getter de luxe. The .38-55 was said to be effective in its day so the .375 Winchester ought to really please.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Senior Moderator
    No experience here.

Are you sure you don't want something in a more common straight walled cartridge for Ohio hunting?

.45-70 maybe? .41 Mag?
    SatCong likes this.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Senior Member Array DownInTheDark's Avatar
    I just read up on the .375 Winchester. I could easily make room in my gun safe for one. ballisticsstudy.com didn't have the nicest things to say about it, but I would easily use it on a bear or elk within 100 yards.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DownInTheDark View Post
    I just read up on the .375 Winchester. I could easily make room in my gun safe for one. ballisticsstudy.com didn't have the nicest things to say about it, but I would easily use it on a bear or elk within 100 yards.
    And Id bet most elk are taken at less than 100 yards. There are definite, long range exceptions, but most.
    Savage Heartland

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

Looks like ammo is hard to come by and pricy. I wonder if brass is available. Rolling one's own would be cheap.
    SatCong and atctimmy like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

The 375 is a good round, but for me, I like the 45/70 in a Marlin with a 22'' barrel. You can push a heavy bullet faster then the 375. If you reload the 45/70 would be my pick.
    NRA PATRON LIFE
    AzCDL Life Member
    BROWN WATER NAVY

Quote Originally Posted by buckeye .45 View Post
    No experience here.

Are you sure you don't want something in a more common straight walled cartridge for Ohio hunting?

.45-70 maybe? .41 Mag?
    I'm going to get a Henry in .41 mag soon, like next month soon. I've already bought bullets, dies and have acquired some brass too. That should be my go to gun for 2018. The problem is that my oldest boy is moving up and moving in on most of my stuff. I expect to lose the Henry to my son in the next year or two so I'm already working on the next big thing. Also, I kinda like quirky chamberings so the .41 mag instead of a .44 and a .375 instead of a 45-70 is kinda my thing. : )

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Looks like ammo is hard to come by and pricy. I wonder if brass is available. Rolling one's own would be cheap.
    I love hand loading my hunting ammo so price and availability isn't going to be a problem.
    In the beginning was the word. Before all else, the word. So we speak as if words matter, because they do.
    ― Dean Koontz

Sponsored Links