Mosin Nagant

Mosin Nagant

This is a discussion on Mosin Nagant within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; In the last eight months or so, I've become more and more interested in older style guns. Especially rifles. While visiting the LGS today, I ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree33Likes

Thread: Mosin Nagant

Mosin Nagant

In the last eight months or so, I've become more and more interested in older style guns. Especially rifles. While visiting the LGS today, I saw they have a used Mosin Nagant, and it really piqued my interest. After reading up on some info about them, I'm even more intrigued.

Anyone here have experience with a Mosin Nagant? If so, did you - or do you still - enjoy shooting it?

Family member bought one, helped him fit the bayonet, re-assemble after deep clean, and shot about 40 rd at a range, was accurate (pie plate), a early 20th century battle rifle...not fun, crude, liked it with the spike fitted, and perfect for $125, OTOH
    a co-worker had one that was from France and low number submittal for a contract....and was worth real bank
    Tstone likes this.

Yes. If North Korea ever invades, the South will be defended my a Mosin-Nagant army. Even @OldVet wants one.

PAcanis, msgt/ret and Tstone like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

I have one. 1939 model that shoots great. It is a fun piece of history. About all I can say about it.
    scottync, msgt/ret and Tstone like this.

Quote Originally Posted by scottync View Post
    Yes. If North Korea ever invades, the South will be defended my a Mosin-Nagant army. Even @OldVet wants one.
    I'd rather have a thurty-thurty.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

I have some. The only milsurps I will not trade off. Fascinating history and so many variable between guns. I am drawn to them.
    scottync and Tstone like this.
    If you are going to ask for help, be prepared to receive it.

Thank you all for the replies.

I have 5 of them. my first one, an M44, I picked up for 69$ How could i resist since it was so cheap? I loved it, and then picked up a couple 91/30s. then later picked up a real Russian original M39, and a Finnish m39. I love these rifles, plenty of fun. if you can get one cheap, do it.

Oh, and my personal preference is to avoid corrosive surplus ammo.
    Tstone likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Rabbit212's Avatar
    I have 3. Two M44 and a 91/30 in an Archangel stock that I hope to one day convert into a hog rifle. Im always on the lookout for a good deal on a Mosin.
    Tstone likes this.
    Those are my principles, and if you don't like them.....well, I have others.

Distinguished Member Array Rabbit212's Avatar
    My favorite of my Mosins its what I use to run off the punks at the shooting range when they are too rambunctious with their AR's. The concussion and fire ball this throws off has been known to startle the uninformed so much that a few well timed rounds will have them pack up and leave.
    Attachment 246145
    Tstone and Saint77 like this.
    Those are my principles, and if you don't like them.....well, I have others.

I have one, what they call an ex-sniper. Basically means it was deemed accurate enough to be a sniper rifle so they put a scope on it. After the war the scope was removed and the mounting holes filled.

Itís a fantastic rifle by any standard. Bolt can be a bit stiff but itís crazy accurate, holds up to anything and is loud enough at the range to make anyone stop and look. Really a marvel of mass produced engineering and a fantastic piece of history. Iíll never trade it.

Great hunting rifle too if youíre okay shooting with irons. Itís plenty accurate.

I got mine years ago when even the best ones were still under $100. I wish Iíd gotten more. Iíd suggest getting one because the price will only get higher.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Tstone likes this.
    An intruder will be incapacitated by tear gas or oven spray, but if shot with a .357 Magnum will get angry and kill you.

Distinguished Member
    I had two, a m44 and a M91/30. Purchased them when they were really low priced, the M44 for $89 and the M91/30 for $79. Bought a book and read up on them, shot them, enjoyed them, and then sold them when the availability decreased and their values exceeded the price of the Ruger American and other lower priced major manufacturer rifles. In my opinion, there are a number of things to be aware of. First and foremost, the safety is extremely difficult to operate. They are cock on open. Most will have cosmoline in the action and internals, even though the outside of the rifle may have been wiped off. There is no really "good" way to mount a scope, which for me was fine as I enjoyed shooting the open sights. They are super stout and nearly indestructible and will stand up to hard use. Everyone that I have shot or seen shot on the range have good accuracy considering the sights. If you are interested in military history, this is one of the weapons to pick up and enjoy.
    Tstone likes this.

Senior Moderator
    I picked up 2 hex-receiver 91/30s some years ago for a bargain - 2 guns and 880 rounds of ammo for under $250. Both date to the mid-1920s. I cleaned up one of them and gave the trigger a little love, and the other one is waiting for the same treatment. It's a fun gun to shoot, but the bolt remains sticky in spite of some remedial work, and the stripper clips are useless. The bore remained dark even after a lot of scrubbing, and with the crude sights and iffy trigger it produced about 5-inch groups at 100 yards. Not sniper quality, but good enough to keep Herman the German pinned down while defending Stalingrad. With the "heavy ball" 180 grain ammo it delivers a solid thump at both ends of the gun!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Mosin Nagant-m-n-cr.jpg  

Smitty
    AZCDL Life Member
    NRA Patron Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

I like them quite a bit. Here is my M91/30:

I've had Mosins in one form or another for many years. In fact the first firearm I ever bought was a different M91/30, and I have since learned to run them well. They are quirky and there is a fairly large learning curve needed to master them, but with practice they can be very good and effective rifles. While they wouldn't be my first choice for something like defense or combat in modern times, they certainly would not be my last either. Keep in mind these are currently being used (mostly in the form of ersatz sniper rifles) in conflicts all over the globe, such as the Ukraine and Syria:

Obsolete? Sure, compared to more modern options indeed it is. What is not obsolete, however, is a 150 grain 7.62x54mm bullet traveling at nearly 3000 feet per second nailing you courtesy of the sniper in the hedgerow or window across the street. As a greater man than me once said: "the gun is the least of it" and even with an old Mosin Nagant, havok can still be wreaked.
    PAcanis, Tstone and scottync like this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tstone View Post
    In the last eight months or so, I've become more and more interested in older style guns. Especially rifles. While visiting the LGS today, I saw they have a used Mosin Nagant, and it really piqued my interest. After reading up on some info about them, I'm even more intrigued.

Anyone here have experience with a Mosin Nagant? If so, did you - or do you still - enjoy shooting it?
    I own 2,they were at one time widely avail and super cheap .They made them by the millions and millions are in surplus . Both mine were
    brand new condition from 1930s and 1940s,they shoot really well and the ammo is dirt cheap
    loads of fun as long as your sholder can handle it . Buds used to sell them as "pieces of history"
    which I suppose they are..Def get one if you can
    Last edited by sonnycrocket; February 23rd, 2018 at 08:09 PM.
    Tstone likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links